Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

MY 14 transmission noise ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4
MY 14 transmission noise ??

I have had my MY14 HSE for 3 weeks, I have a noise which appears to be coming from the transmission when I first give it some gas in drive, it sounds quite noticeably loud and a bit like a bad wheel bearing/metallic or over run type noise which only lasts 2 or 3 seconds till the revs build up. Will report it to the dealer when I have time, but wondered if anyone else had experienced anything like this. I also get another occasional pulsing type noise sounds a bit like a brake pad binding at low speed (5mph) sometimes but would have thought the pads would have bedded in by now after 2k miles.
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #129673911th Jun 2014 4:19 pm
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have a similar noise when starting to move and at low revs. I considered that as normal, but it's got more noticable now, 9000km on the clock. I would be very interested to hear what your dealer had to say.

Post #129700512th Jun 2014 8:03 am
highbayrack

I will try and get mine booked in within the next 2 weeks, and I will certainly let you know what they say Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)

Post #129705512th Jun 2014 10:01 am
promitheus

Thanks, highbayrack. I will try to record the sound (although it's not loud) and upload it, so that we all know what we are talking about.

Post #129709912th Jun 2014 11:31 am
highbayrack

Well I finally managed to get my car into the dealers this morning re the noise and to be fair to Guy Salmon they sent out a young tech immediately to came out with me for a drive who said yes he could definitely hear the noise and thought it was coming from the engine/gearbox baffle plate which was resonating and he'd seen it before Thumbs Up So he put it up on the ramp took it off and put an extra couple of rivets in it. Told me to try it again.....no better at all and said that I could be correct and it might be a gearbox problem. Then the senior technician came out with me for a test drive, and Sod's law it wouldn't make the b Censored dy noise whilst he was in the car.
But he did say what I can hear is the turbo release valve / waste gate 'blowing off' pressure which is quite normal Neutral He made me start the engine put my left foot firmly on the brake, select drive then quickly rev the engine and then release the revs again, and yes you could hear this release valve, but not the tinny/metallic noise I'm talking about. He did agree that the turbo was spinning quite loudly but in his opinion everything was as it should be so nothing they could do and for me to let them know if it gets any worse Sad Well that might be the case, but having spent close to £60k on a new car and covered less than 2k miles I don't really expect to hear any of this tinny noise wherever it's coming from Shocked
So the next step is that I will be booking the car back into them again as I can't believe or accept that this is normal.

Last edited by highbayrack on 24th Jun 2014 2:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #130242624th Jun 2014 1:51 pm
promitheus

Thanks for the update! Thumbs Up
The turbo release valve was my first thought to be honest.
I will try to reproduce the sound the way your dealer instructed you and will let you know if that's the sound I hear.
If it really is the release valve, then you shouldn't be worried at all. Very Happy

Post #130243824th Jun 2014 2:25 pm
highbayrack

Yes you try it and see what you think Thumbs Up and I'm not worried about it, just can't accept a noise this loud is normal otherwise other people would have mentioned it I'm sure.

Post #130244124th Jun 2014 2:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >