Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

MY 16 fuel tank capacity
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

RDR wrote:
grzesiul Below 50%? I can why understand empty might cause issues (with cr&p and sludge?) but 50% seems a bit conservative unless Im misunderstanding your statement?

no no misunderstanding but due to how DPF operates and interacts with the car system in regards to recon process scheduling and all if recon is due and low fuel is also recognize by the car recon will not kick in and might damage it in worst case scenario I read....

G

Post #152148429th Aug 2015 9:08 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

radders89 wrote:
Filled up yesterday with computer saying 5 miles until empty (I like to live dangerously) and it only took just over 73 litres. Defo a smaller tank than the D3.

The D4 tank is identical to the later D3s. Volume is as per handbook and there is no difference across MYs. Fuel system reserves around 4 litres for itself to avoid running dry. It does this by faking the symptoms of running out of fuel with a program in the PCM. To the driver it feels like the vehicle has run out, but without actually doing so with zero damage to the (rather expensive) fuel system.

The D4 fuel gauging is incredibly pessimistic, reading zero with many litres remaining in the tank. This is annoying but has been a 'feature' of the D4 since its inception. Replacing senders (as some dealers have done) does not help either. The issue is with the IPC and the resistance-to-fuel calculation it uses from the values provided by the fuel tank senders.

From memory I think the largest fill I have achieved is 74 litres with zero range remaining for the last few miles, with the fuel level showing empty for even longer. Even with the 4 litres or so reserved for the fuel system there would have been 6 or so litres remaining in the tank - best part of 50 miles.

Hope this helps.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #152149829th Aug 2015 9:32 am
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Cheers Robbie (as always Bow down), I wanted to say thank you to you for the tip on changing the mpg readout to -5.5 with the IID tool, but couldn't find the original thread last night.

I have now used two tanks and after making the adjustment the fuel readout is now accurate to within about 0.2mpg, so fantastic!

Also seems I may as well not bother letting them fiddle with the fuel tank.
 Andy

Post #152150329th Aug 2015 9:39 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks Andy. Yep, not worth your trouble letting the dealer messing with it.

One of the side effects of tweaking the mpg display to read correctly is that it makes the range to go display even more pessimistic as it is now using a less optimistic mpg as part of its calculations. The fuel level display remains unchanged. The very act of tweaking the mpg display also resets all range calculations to the super-pessimistic mode before it re-learns the true average mpg.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #152150929th Aug 2015 9:47 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Fitzy73 do you have some tip or quick descr on ow to do it, might be first thing on my list of tuneups
G

Post #152151029th Aug 2015 9:50 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

grzesiul wrote:
RDR wrote:
grzesiul Below 50%? I can why understand empty might cause issues (with cr&p and sludge?) but 50% seems a bit conservative unless Im misunderstanding your statement?

no no misunderstanding but due to how DPF operates and interacts with the car system in regards to recon process scheduling and all if recon is due and low fuel is also recognize by the car recon will not kick in and might damage it in worst case scenario I read....

G

The DPF only requires enough fuel to run for 20 minutes so not sure why that needs to be 50% plus Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #152151529th Aug 2015 10:01 am
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

grzesiul wrote:
Fitzy73 do you have some tip or quick descr on ow to do it, might be first thing on my list of tuneups
G

From the main menu on the IID BT its:

Car config
Confirmed list
IPC - Instrument Pack
Trip Fuel Eco Adjust

My trip fuel eco adjust was set to something like +7, but following Robbie's advice making it -5.5 seems to have done the trick nicely!
 Andy

Post #152152429th Aug 2015 10:24 am
Klinkhammer

Scotland 

Thanks for all your posts I can see that there is no point in taking this up with the dealer.

My D3 was a 09 plate and I once put in 83 litres when I thought I was about to run out whilst towing.
 I'm to old to know everything......
D4 Gone over to the Dark Side (D5)
D3 gone ...... But now want one for knocking about! Is this a form of insanity? 

Post #152152529th Aug 2015 10:28 am
Dave T

England 

When mine was in for a service today I asked them about the inaccuracy in the mpg readout, what a struggle that was. First they couldn't understand how an app could give me mpg...FFS it ain't rocket science, divide distance by quantity....... But that won't take account of road conditions or wind..........

Needless to say nothing was done and they say LR don't know if any issues as there is no fault code! These are supposed to be the experts on our cars as well!

And then off course, they have to make comment "it has non LR discs and pads fitted"..........
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #15232251st Sep 2015 9:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MrH

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:
On Topix theres two figures for the D4 ....one is 86.3 litres the other 89 litres Smile

For info... The later of these sizes is for Petrol engine versions only.
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #15232321st Sep 2015 9:42 pm
radders89

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Robbie wrote:
The D4 fuel gauging is incredibly pessimistic, reading zero with many litres remaining in the tank. This is annoying but has been a 'feature' of the D4 since its inception. Replacing senders (as some dealers have done) does not help either. The issue is with the IPC and the resistance-to-fuel calculation it uses from the values provided by the fuel tank senders.

From memory I think the largest fill I have achieved is 74 litres with zero range remaining for the last few miles, with the fuel level showing empty for even longer. Even with the 4 litres or so reserved for the fuel system there would have been 6 or so litres remaining in the tank - best part of 50 miles.

Hope this helps.

Thumbs Up

Cheers for that Robbie Thumbs Up

Just for clarity then is the D4 fueling more pessimistic than the D3? The reason I ask is that when returning home to Sussex from Dumfries last week I filled the D4 up at a garage about 10miles closer to home than the one I usually use and the distance to empty was always the same as the actual distance to home. Yet in the D3 we always had plenty of fuel in hand. This is also taking into account the slight increase in mpg of the D4 over our D3.
 MY15 D4 SDV6 HSE Corris Grey - Gone
MY05 D3 TDV6 SE Zambezi silver Auto Alpaca leather - Gone
MY02' Seat Leon 1.6s Metallic Black cloth trim with a hint of mould

Club Sandwich

Women... Can't live with em, can't kill em... 

Post #15233262nd Sep 2015 6:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >