DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

20 inch stormers yes or no
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
vicken23

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
20 inch stormers yes or no

Hi All,
have been thinking about upgrading to 20" stormers. I have a found a genuine set at a fairly reasonable price.
I am concerned that by going to 20" i will be compromising the comfort of my D3. What are your thoughts guys, especially those that have already done this.
Also what tyres should i look at and what price have people paid for them, also whats the average mileage achieved from a set.
My dealer reckons 30000km at best and that the ride is terrible.
Your thoughts on this woudl be appreciated, 1 part of me says bling it on, the other says dont mess with the beast.
Cheers

Post #48043812th Jun 2009 12:56 pm
al cope

England 

I've been on 20's for quite a while now (I tried Supercharged and Stormers) As for ride quality, its not rim size but tyre spec that will affect this, and the more low profile you go, in general the harsher the ride tends to become.

I've run 275/45x20 Hankooks (not impressed, to nervous on the road), 295/45x20 General Grabbers, nice tyre and ride, but now have settled on 265/50x20 Yokohama Advan ST. These are giving the best compromise between great grip and handling, with good ride and low niose, and even though Yoko's are considered a soft tyre, I'm already over 10k miles and tread is still at 6mm (8mm new).

If you go wide (295's), you will get some pulling on bad road surfaces, as the wider tread tries to follow the contours a bit more.

Hope this helps
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #48050112th Jun 2009 2:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Echo what Al said regarding the grabbers. Not convinced they're the longest lasting tyre but certainly the best option for 'looks'
Narrow Tyres look just wrong.
Be careful they don't rub as some stormers have different offsets from what I've previously read.
I'm running same Tyres as ronp, the cooper's and they seem fine.
Any big tyre wheel will need careful balancing.
Stormer/grabber combo will set you back just under a grand.
Try ajs the site sponser first, or I'll dig out the number of where ron and I got ours.
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #48067212th Jun 2009 7:59 pm
Shrinky

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Agree with the balancing, there are some garages that just can't balance 20" wheels. Some stormers you may need spigotts (Is that how you spell it?) .
 Global Warming.... I'm luvvin it  
Post #48067812th Jun 2009 8:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >