20" wheels to suit LR?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Disco Driver

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
20" wheels to suit LR?

Howdy Folks,

I'll looking to tap into the collective wisdom of the forum Bow down

I'm considering purchasing a set of dedicate road tires for the D3, this will allow me to put a decent set of tread on my current 17" rims for offroading. Very Happy

I've found a set of 20" wheels (4) on flebay currently sitting under a grand.....

cgi.ebay.com.au/20-INCH-WHEELS-TO-SUIT-LAN...240%3A1318

They look ok but is there anything I should make myself aware of before taking the plunge?

Cheers, Jus Thumbs Up

Post #45679420th Apr 2009 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Jus

is it these ,Ebay Item eBay Item No. 200332146736 (your link it not working)
they are an Overfinch Supersport (www.overfinch.com) design , I would suggest that
they are replicias and not the real items. (I may be wrong but make sure you check first)

Also the Nexan tyres , not the best tyre IMO , you need to check the load rating on these
the Disco needs 111 or greater , that nexan tyre might be 103 as its the most popular load rating
on this brand.

I do Like the Design , if they are replicas make sure they are approved and carry the correct
Safety mark (ie not cheep Jap imports)

Post #45680020th Apr 2009 11:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Justin,
Why dont you go the steel wheels (like big Kev and Sonny) for off roading and keep the LR for on roading, might be a safer bet.
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #45682920th Apr 2009 1:05 pm
Disco Driver

Hi BarryG,

Yes, they're the ones, not sure what happened with the link....

What should i be looking for regarding the correct safety mark?

Hi WayneD,

I'd prefer to have a lower profile tyre as a dedicated on roader, they would make the car handle better & deliver better fuel economy around town.

Cheers, Jus

Post #45684820th Apr 2009 1:46 pm
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Disco Driver wrote:
Hi BarryG,

Yes, they're the ones, not sure what happened with the link....

What should i be looking for regarding the correct safety mark?

Cheers, Jus

Jus .

Im not sure what the standards are in your part of the world , In theory things like this are illegal to import
and sell unless they comply with local standards , your local transport ministry should be able to advise you on this
better , in Europe a lot of this kind of stuff is covered under a TUV approval , If these rimms are from Japan
they will be stamped with "JWL-T" or "JWL" and also should have a VIA stamp on them.
This is the first sign that will tell that the wheels are From Japan (Ie copies of the overfinch design)
the VIA mark is like a TUV mark, but has been know to be forged .. Overfinch them selves did a press release
about fake overfinch wheels being in circulation and people getting hurt from them cracking.

the only advice I can give Jus and Im No expert , Make sure the wheels and tyre's are the correct load rating for you D3
and that the wheels if reproductions are good ones , the seller (or the disty/whole seller to your seller) should be able to
provide you/him with a copy of some sort of classification report for that wheel , If not walk away mate.

Post #45686920th Apr 2009 2:24 pm
Disco Driver

BarryG,

I inquired about the tyre rating..... 106v Shocked

I'm walking away....

Cheers, Jus

Post #45717321st Apr 2009 9:29 am
Crispy

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

G'day Disco Driver, just recently i got a set of 20" - Overfinch replicas - following numerous posts and responses form other helpfuls on the site here. i am happy with them, i got the Nexan tyres, they are 295/45/20 with a load rating of 114 - so better than required load rating. have a look into my gallery for some snaps of them.

They look the biz, no rubbing issues what so ever and i have no probs with the Nexan tyres. yet to verify how they are for wear, i reckon they are not as good off road as the 19" Pirelli Scorpions which preceeded these ones.

regards

Crispy
 '05 D3 HSE V8, Zambezi
'92 Jag XJRS 

Post #45727321st Apr 2009 2:59 pm
Disco Driver

G'day Crispy,

Interesting... I'll make a few more inquiries. What sort of coin did the 20's set you back?

Have you off loaded the 19's? Whistle

Cheers, Jus

Post #45744021st Apr 2009 9:18 pm
Crispy

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

They cost me $1945 which included delivery from Sydney to Perth. I think the cost of the wheels (inc bolts) was around $1800 from memory. Let me know if you want the contact details of the place - i'll have to look them up from the folder at home. Also i still have the 19" wheels clogging up my shed. Are you interested in them?

Regards

Crispy...
 '05 D3 HSE V8, Zambezi
'92 Jag XJRS 

Post #45752422nd Apr 2009 1:34 am
Disco Driver

potentially, do you have five 19" wheels on offer?

Post #45762722nd Apr 2009 12:36 pm
al cope

England 

and for Oz, 109 weight rating is minimum, not 111 as here in the UK.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #45770022nd Apr 2009 3:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >