Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

2006 tdv6 mega flush . Torque converter woes.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jonmoore1970

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
2006 tdv6 mega flush . Torque converter woes.

Guys, I’ve bought a high mileage 2.7 tdv6 and I’d say that either the torque converter or the gearbox oil has expired.

Going through the gears the Revs are surging, and a slight shudder, and also a noise that accompanies it. Then once in 6th gear it will cruise all day with no issues.

I think I’ll take a gamble on a mega flush first and hope that cures it.

Ideally someone can do it mobile near Reading Berkshire. Can you recommend anyone and a price?...or any advise.
Many thanks

Post #215427715th Jun 2020 9:49 pm
Jonmoore1970

New style sump/filter?

Post #215442216th Jun 2020 3:11 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Looks like an original sump, although I'm surprised to see that part number, so could be a replacement

Post #215442416th Jun 2020 3:27 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

DIY?
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/filos-autob...light=filo
Cheaper as a first pass Thumbs Up
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #215443916th Jun 2020 4:48 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Looks like someone has changed the sump/filter for possibly an aftermarket replacement. So I suspect someone has changed that and the oil trying to cure the fault.
Perhaps A shot of Dr. Trannies?

Post #215448016th Jun 2020 8:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hormic23

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

A mega flush is around £200-240 and it may do the trick. Mine had a mega flush done for preventative maintenance about 18 months before the torque converter started playing up. The symptoms that I had was a judder around 1500-2000 rpm which is worse under load, hills or full car etc. A new torque converter is around £1200 fitted.

Bodsy does a mega flush via a mobile service and might cover your area.
 2007 D3 TDV6 XS - GONE
BAS Remap
EGRs blanked
Adaptive bi-xenons
RLD spare wheel protector 

Post #215449516th Jun 2020 9:22 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ive found it fairly easy to pump and partially flush the 6 speed in my driveway every time I service the car, not had an issue of the shudders for the last 60,000 or so!

Previously was getting surging

I use the Manual AG55 and buy it in 20L barrels off Ebay from a firm in Germany normally about 65 quid for a 20l which is enough for a couple of goes, if you wanted to do a thorough job you can do it twice in a couple of days to try and give it a thorough flush through.
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #215450316th Jun 2020 10:14 pm
Jonmoore1970

I.ve decided to flush the box myself. £320 quoted for a megaflush seems a bit strong.........has anyone got a list of parts or part numbers they've used to sucsessfully do the job?...many thanks

Post #215497718th Jun 2020 5:06 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

J just buy the Mannol AG55 from Germany via Ebay, but Ravenol or others will also do the job, a box of assorted pipe connectors a length of clear hose and some clips and you will be sorted.

Most important thing to do first though is ensure you can get the top level plug out of the box, as if it seized you need to ensure you have it free before disturbing the pipework, or else you cant tell when you are at the correct level afterwards!
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #215579321st Jun 2020 11:48 pm
Harry365

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My gearbox issues became apparent AFTER I had a megaflush (not unheard of). I say apparent as obviously it already had issues, the megaflush just revealed them. I have the same issues as you, shudders in the low revs when accelerating, especially under load. I drive mine in manual and keep the revs above 2000 to avoid it.

I seriously doubt a flush is going to fix this issue, it might hide it for a while but ultimately the transmission is failing and all you might be flushing is cash.

Give Bristol transmissions a call and talk through your symptoms however there's quite a lot of info on here about these symptoms including the mixed opinions on megaflsuhes as a cure.

If it's any consolation, I've had the issue for 15,000 miles and it hasn't got any worse.

Post #215579622nd Jun 2020 2:32 am
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

A Megaflush won't cure a box that's already knackered. It should be done as part of regular maintenance to stop problems occurring in the first place.
I would change the oil myself and add some Dr Tranny like Steve Norman (who is an expert) recommends. And then see how you get on. Failing that, might be time for Bristol Transmissions to look at it.
Thumbs Up
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #215581222nd Jun 2020 7:10 am
Jonmoore1970

darrind wrote:
J just buy the Mannol AG55 from Germany via Ebay, but Ravenol or others will also do the job, a box of assorted pipe connectors a length of clear hose and some clips and you will be sorted.

Most important thing to do first though is ensure you can get the top level plug out of the box, as if it seized you need to ensure you have it free before disturbing the pipework, or else you cant tell when you are at the correct level afterwards!

Good tip, it was mega tight, would never have undone it without my rattle gun on max!

Post #215610923rd Jun 2020 11:14 am
Bulatovic

Yugoslavia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Seems like Shudder Fix isn't just forum talks after all!

hi guys,

well just had the same issue - slight judder when cold, then rev fluctuations around 1600-1900 rpm, but funny enough - it disappears in manual mode - i suppose that the TC lock solenoid is on at that point, preventing the clutches in the TC to try and decide whether to clutch and lock the TC or let the turbine do the job.
Anyhow - i did 1000km ago one oil change (5L) simply from the drain plug, and it did improve things at first, but quickly went back to juddering and slipping and being downright annoying. Yesterday had another session of oil change along with the new steel sump and separate filter. Also (i'd imagine most importantly) i added 2 sachets of Lubegard Instant Shudder Fix + 1 bottle of Lubegard ATF Protectant.
I am aware of the "forum talks" and if the box is broken so that it shudders a simple additive won't fix it, but cover the symptoms (like putting 20w50 into a worn newer engine to get rid of knocking from the crank, or sand in the diff), but decided to take a stab - and then if to no avail change the transmission for a factory rebuilt one.

Not wanting to jinx it as i've covered only 200km since the service, but the transformation is amazing! Not a sign of any shudder, noise, slippage, anything. Just super smooth gear change and instant pull from the engine.

I couldn't be more happy and truly hope it stays this way for many miles to come.
It seems that the Shudder Fix does work indeed!

Post #215634524th Jun 2020 12:39 pm
Jonmoore1970

So here is an update for anyone who’s interested.

I flushed 20 litres of oil through the box and it still never actually ran clear.....although way way cleaner.

I test drove the car and unfortunately no improvement noticed, still revs surging in each gear and a squealing type of noise to accompany the fluctuations.

Today I warmed the car up for around 10 minutes and removed the fill plug, something like a litre of oil spilled out....so was overfilled by myself. (I did originally fill it with the car cold).....then I removed another litre from the drain plug.....the oil was perfectly clean. 2 Dr trannys added and then topped the level up while the engine was running.

The improvement in the test drive was remarkable. Although I am still getting a small squeal and slightly erratic gear change from 4th to 5th, all another gear changes are smooth, with no surging or noises.

I had a feeling that the tc was toast, but I reckon it’s 90% better now....and very drivable. I think I;l keep it and sell my manual one.

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Post #21587284th Jul 2020 4:46 pm
Jonmoore1970

Post #21587314th Jul 2020 4:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >