DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

MY 2010 Battery Type in CCF
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
daimlermg

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
MY 2010 Battery Type in CCF

I am looking a getting a new Battery as mine is now 11 years old Thumbs Up
Not decided yet what to get but I had a look in the CCF to see the options listed and as you can see its just types 1 to 16 and a conventional charge listed.

My CCF is set as type 16 with a OEM Landrover VARTA 90AH 950 AMPS (SAE)

How do I know which type fits which battery / type. Question

I am thinking of a WET EA1000 EXIDE PREMIUM CAR BATTERY 017TE or a Yuasa YBX5019 Silver High Performance SMF
But if I go for a AGM what type is it in the CCF Question

Faultmate MSV-2
500,000 plus miles in RR,s and trying for more without breakdowns this time Smile
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's
Had for 40 years but now gone 1935 Daimler and 1937 MG 

Post #22147802nd Mar 2021 6:19 pm
daimlermg

Had the battery tested today after having it on charge overnight then a 2 hr drive to Halfords.
It was showing only 600 CCA out of its 950 CCA max so definitely time for a new one.

As there are no answers to my question of which of the 19 battery types in the CCF = a AGM battery for the BMS, how risky is to fit a AGM. Question

I have monitored the charging voltage and it runs at 14.7 volts max on the current CCF setting. In fact it runs at 14.2v - 14.7v all the time as its still trying to fill the charge to 100% i.e 950 CCA.

Do I get a AGM Battery and hope for the best or stay with a wet battery. Question
 Faultmate MSV-2
500,000 plus miles in RR,s and trying for more without breakdowns this time Smile
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's

Post #221964723rd Mar 2021 2:15 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I have a 2010 D4 and although I have an IID tool, I never changed any settings when I fitted an AGM battery just over 3 years ago and there have been no issues.
 Andy

Post #221980523rd Mar 2021 9:15 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have you got the latest software installed in the Iid tool? A wet cell battery will take a higher charging current than a AGM battery but will not charge as fast as an AGM, AGM batteries are far superior than wet cell particularly if you do short journeys, they will not spill acid as they can even be operated on their side.
A wet cell can be charged at and will be charged at a safe maximum of 15.6v if you have a wet cell fitted from new and not been altered in the CCF, the maximum recommended charge rate for AGM is is 14.6v this is why the CCF should to be changed, not changing it may shorten the life of the AGM.
When changing the battery don’t forget the bonnet can be opened in the service mode simply by unclipping the hinges which give a greater access to the battery. Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #221989324th Mar 2021 9:49 am
Washwipe

England 

Access to the battery easier I recalled this from last week.

Considering the D4 takes the same AGM battery as our Renault vans, I came across the official Workshop manual on changing the battery, the battery is located by removing the near side passenger step cover, making the bottom of the battery around eighteen inches off the ground.

Remove the six torx screws and lift to the plastic step liner.
13mm socket and remover the securing bolt on the battery.
10mm deep socket and disconnect the two battery leads.

Thread a large lifting strop through the handles of the battery.
Place a engine hoist into the passenger side door and attach the strop and lift the battery out. Shocked

Not the done thing now to do manual lifting.

Post #222004924th Mar 2021 7:39 pm
daimlermg

M3DPO wrote:
Have you got the latest software installed in the Iid tool? A wet cell battery will take a higher charging current than a AGM battery but will not charge as fast as an AGM, AGM batteries are far superior than wet cell particularly if you do short journeys, they will not spill acid as they can even be operated on their side.
A wet cell can be charged at and will be charged at a safe maximum of 15.6v if you have a wet cell fitted from new and not been altered in the CCF, the maximum recommended charge rate for AGM is is 14.6v this is why the CCF should to be changed, not changing it may shorten the life of the AGM.
When changing the battery don’t forget the bonnet can be opened in the service mode simply by unclipping the hinges which give a greater access to the battery. Thumbs Up

M3DPO

I dont have a IID but I do have the Faultmate MSV-2 and the battery is the original one which has lasted well. The setting in the CCF (Type 16 with no description) has not been changed from new.
I assume the choice of which battery type is written in the ECU and not the Faultmate /IiD Tool Question

I dont see the charging voltage go above 14.7v which I find strange as you say a wet battery will take more, I have searched all over for information on what the CCF type options 1 -16 mean with no luck, Later models D4 have descriptions rather than Types showing in the CCF which help.

As the charging voltage on Type 16 only goes to 14.7v max it would explain why some with 2009-2011 have changed to a AGM without making changes to the CCF and got away with it.

I am inclined to get a AGM and see what happens to the charging voltages, if it goes above 14.7v I can try the other options in the CCF to see if there is a better one. It might be that as LR did not start fitting AGM until around 2012 there might not be a specific setting for AGM, where people have had AGM,s fitted by the steelers there might have been an update to the firmware to allow it, if so I bet it would cost more to get the upgrade than the cost a destroying a battery from Tanya and having to revert back to a wet one.

On the subject of fitting the battery my indy said that the local steeler and LR have a change in procedure because a loss of power can stuff the ECU,s which then have to to be reflashed to get the car working again they had one car that that suffered this , Now a boost pack has to be used. If this is correct then a hard reset or a flat battery becomes a bit of a risk and sorting faults will have to be done with Faultmates or IiD tools only. Shocked
 Faultmate MSV-2
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's

Post #222015025th Mar 2021 10:12 am
M3DPO

You need get a plug into the car cigar/power socket volt meter to check the charging rate whilst you are driving as the D4 charges at max volts when decelerating and if set for a wet cell battery can be as high as 15.5/6 volts for the first few minutes in cold weather
If you allow the car to go to sleep, (park brake light off) you will not have any problems changing the battery.

Post #222019025th Mar 2021 1:35 pm
daimlermg

I have a cigar/power socket volt meter which is how I got the reading of 14.7v thanks.

With the Battery in its current state and after its been on charge for 18 hrs per night for 4 nights without the car being used then going for a two hr drive it charges at 14.7 v all the time even at tickover.
I think its trying to fully charge the battery which wont accept any more charge.

Hence the new battery will be ordered.

Thanks
 Faultmate MSV-2
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's

Post #222019525th Mar 2021 2:09 pm
M3DPO

If the original battery has lasted 11 years I would be fitting tha exact same battery again if they are still available, must be getting on for some sort of record for a battery particularly on a Disco Thumbs Up

Post #222024625th Mar 2021 8:36 pm
daimlermg

Unfortunately the 90ah 950 cca battery is no longer available.

After reading all the battery posts I too am surprised its has lasted this long and when you consider it has never failed to start the car in all that time even when its left on the drive for 7 weeks while I go off in the motorhome to Europe twice a year . I have had a few of the low battery please start the car warnings over the years so I do as I am told and carry on. Only stuck it on charge once ever few years until I bought the volt meter. Now I am a proper Disco driver ( Paranoid Embarassed )

If it was not for having problems turning on the ignition and thinking it might be related to low voltage or the keyless entry I would not have bought a cigar/power socket volt meter which showed the battery was getting past is best, as it turned out my ignition issue was a faulty starter switch.

The car only has 69k on the clock and is mostly used locally.

And to think I was looking forward to an award for the longest lasting battery Bow down
 Faultmate MSV-2
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's

Last edited by daimlermg on 10th May 2021 6:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #222032326th Mar 2021 10:12 am
daimlermg

Update

Update

Ok as I said Halfords checked the battery 3 days ago and said it still had good voltage and 690CCA .
I checked the Halfords info again and it was 690CCA not 600 as stated earlier Thumbs Up

Sods Law intervened.I went out in the car and filled up with fuel and what do you know it wont turn over and all the dash lights go out. Laughing Banging Head
Called out Green Flag for a jump start and went home to pinch the battery off the motor home.
The car is now pumping in 15v into the battery as apposed to the 14.7 with the old battery which rules out fitting an AGM Battery without knowing what the different battery 1 to 16 Types are in the CCF and as I cant find this out I have had a Exide EA1000 wet battery delivered from Tanya Thumbs Up

Charged the new battery up and fitted it to the car then went for a 1 hr run. The charging rate was at 15v for around 45 min then dropped down to around 14.7. Had lunch then drove home with the same results.

I know some have taken a chance and changed to a AGM with the same 2010MY and got away with it but from my testing I would not recommend it. Well not if your CCF is set to Type 16 anyway. Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head
 Faultmate MSV-2
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's

Post #22223424th Apr 2021 1:04 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Exide starting having issues after 18mths.
Yuasa now starting to weaken at 30 mths.

95 percent of my jourmeys are 5 miles exactly.
Charging voltage is pretty much 15.1/2 volts 95 percent of the time.

So I realise my usaage of the car is a battery killer, but it is a good test of any battery life long term.

Post #22223464th Apr 2021 1:44 pm
daimlermg

Hi lynalldiscovery

AMG or Wet ?

You have to
Turn off heaters and seat heaters
Turn off Radio
Only drive in Day time
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Faultmate MSV-2
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's

Post #22223514th Apr 2021 2:23 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Both wet type
I like my creature comforts so everything is on.

I did trickle charge it once every week or two, as I know I am wrecking the thing, and with wifes car being in the way the Yuasa had not seen the charger for months until a few days ago.

The Exide EA1000 got more tlc, yet died sooner, it is cheaper for a reason.

Post #22223604th Apr 2021 3:50 pm
daimlermg

Found the Answer and Update

Found the Answer to where the Battery settings are in the 2010 MY CCF Thumbs Up

Well as it was sunny today and cold I thought I would have a play with the car, I hooked up the Faultmate MSV2 and spent 40 mins before my fingers stoped working searching around the ECU's.

I had found the Battery setting entry in the Body Control CCF Base Car Settings which just show Types 1 to 16 and undefined as shown below which made me think JLR just had not filled in the descriptions and causing the confusion

I have now found another battery setting entry in the Central Junction Box section ECBU Base Vehicle Config
section. See Below

There is no AGM Battery listed that I can see and as I have fitted a EA1000 Wet Battery (100 AH 900 CCA) I have left it as shown which is as it was for the original Battery when the car was new

I hope this will help others with an early D4 wanting the same answers.

Having two sections for the Battery is just lazy programming which was the sort of thing that wound me up when I was writing systems.

One thing I did not find was any setting the reset the BMS . I dont need it as it will sort itself out but if anyone knows where it is please let me know.
 Faultmate MSV-2
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's

Post #222371310th Apr 2021 3:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >