Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

Our MY 2011 D4, is it better than a MY 2021 Defender?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
paulbriggs

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Our MY 2011 D4, is it better than a MY 2021 Defender?

I've had our 2011 V6 HSE TD D4 now for about 6 weeks and I really love it. Pulls like a train and does 32 to 38 mpg. Had a full-service history but was due one. The rear brakes were looking a little sick so ordered the upgrade from Simon at Powerful UK as well as a full-service kit and transmission sump/filter from them. Must have spent about £500 with fluids and parts all told.

All the work is now done, just need to decide whether to go for some off-road tires or stick to the Pirelli Scorpions that are on it. One is poor on the edge because the tracking was out which I sorted. Don't do much off roading unless you call the roads in Staffordshire “off road” and most people do, as they are terrible where we live.

Last March, I bought an almost new 110 Defender, had it for 6 months and did about 2500 miles. Then my wife got an iX3 (full electric) and the price of the Defender went up by 15%, so it was sold. I just couldn't see it being worth £30k in 10 years and didn't want to lose £30k in depreciation. Also £2 of electric to do 100 miles (off peak rate), means we use the Beemer for most journeys.

So after a lot of searching, I ended up with a nice D4. Not too many things wrong with it. Parking sensors don't work, but the video camera does. Tow hook was locked and rusted stuck, easy to fix once you know how to remove the green knob. The rear passenger door unlock is subject to debate and the infotainment has packed in completely then cured itself after double locking. It’s my 5th Land Rover and my 8th JLR car so you expect stuff to go wrong so you can get excited when you fix it. All in all, I'm really pleased with the D4 and to be honest it’s for sure as good as the Defender I had, and just a lot less money tied up. Best bit is I can service it myself and not affect the value of the car. The picture is of our D4 and Bill's D3 and I have to say, I prefer his grill!

Just ordered a GAPII tool direct from GAP in Canada so hope to have fun with that next week with that.

Post #229292724th May 2022 8:54 pm
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

They certainly are a very unique vehicle….. how can something 12 years old even get near to competing with any new car? Particularly a new defender as they too are excellent.

As you have concluded they definitely do compete and even beat most modern things in many ways.

We are very similar in that our electric car now does all family duties and local trips, as it’s a complete no brainer. When we go on holiday with any interested children (they are grown up now) and our dogs the D4 is the only vehicle to go in. It does everything brilliantly. I have the awkward decision to make now as it’s coming up 9 years old and still has full LR warranty. It’s never left the dealer network. It’s so expensive to keep it in warranty though and I do everything myself if I can. It sees the dealership once a year to keep it covered but it has new oil every5/6k.

I considered changing it for a supercharged FFRR a few weeks back but common sense prevailed. I think I’ll keep mine forever…….well until it decides to die anyway!
Nothing comes close and I’ve had over 30 different vehicles over the years.

I’m totally with your thoughts….
Health to enjoy yours and safe driving.
 A mod a week until I have nothing to improve or add.  
Post #229296025th May 2022 6:02 am
paulbriggs

That FFRR is a monster, I love the chrome side vents! I was tempted to get the supercharged one as my annual mileage is low, but the fuel consumption is >20 mph which is almost as bad as my Jags.
As we move into the electric mobility era, these FFRR are going to stand out so much in a city, they will be better off in the country where it can hid with all the log burners.

Copyright Autorevolution.com

Click image to enlarge

This missing picture of our D4 from my first post - still learning!

Post #229297825th May 2022 7:53 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Nice motors btw Thumbs Up
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #229298125th May 2022 8:07 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

For all round practicality and versatility there’s nothing on the market that betters a D4. Not for my needs anyway.

The new Defender is wonderful, but the compromise is the boot and rear door.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #229298525th May 2022 8:36 am
LIAMMCL

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

We were at the beach with the in laws who had their new defender 110 next to our D4.

We had 2 kids sat in the boot with their fish and chips, mum and dad sat on the tailgate, all the drinks and gubbins etc. in the middle.

In comparison, one person and a dog sat in the boot of the defender and that was it full.

I'd still love to be able to afford a new defender, but I think for the money, I'd like to find the best newer D4 I could then buy a porsche boxter or something for the summer.

Post #229299125th May 2022 9:24 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

You may be pushing the £2 for 100miles. I pay 20.4p off peak. Whilst my X5 has a big ICE it only manages about 2.4miles per kW. This is considerably better than the P400e at around 1.8miles.

That said the VW ID3 that I use manages 4.5miles / kW driving like Miss Daisy.

Post #229299325th May 2022 9:55 am
paulbriggs

We would be at your rate. We get off peak for 5p per kW with Octopus Energy. Not sure how long its going to last but happy days! Octopus don't do that rate anymore but they do have an rate for EV's at 7.5p when I last looked.

Post #229374231st May 2022 8:13 am
paulbriggs

pjm-84 wrote:

That said the VW ID3 that I use manages 4.5miles / kW driving like Miss Daisy.

Our Freelander was called Miss Daisy due to the way I drove it to try and get 40 mpg!

Post #229374331st May 2022 8:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >