Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

20's sorted !!! - dont know whether to laugh or cry
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
al cope

England 
20's sorted !!! - dont know whether to laugh or cry

Well, most of you are probably past caring as to whether my motor has 20's on it or not, but persistent could be my middle name.

So, on 20" set number three, first set were genuine LR V spokes, but with brand new but crap (cheap) tyres. Set number 2 were V spoke but aftermarket, but with good tyres (295/45 Grabbers), Set number 3, Stormers this time, again aftermarket, with cheap tyres, rated at 109, but cheap enough for me to play again.

So, a few attempts at balancing (almost enough for me to have brought my own balancing machine), when yesterday, one very diligent tyre fitter noticed a small amount of play when refitting - you know where this is going dont you!!

Yes, a lot of the aftermarket 20's are sold as being OK for RR and BMW, but some BMW's use a hub size of 74.1, whilst LR use 72.6, and I'd got wheels with a hole of 74.1. One set of spigot rings to center the wheel correctly on the hub(£10 for 5) later, shimmy gone!! Its why some of you with either genuine LR rims and decent tyres (or aftermarket rims with the correct hub hole have been OK. Just me (and one or two others) been unlucky.

From now on you can call me Richard, as after all the f@cking about I feel like a complete Dick.

Goosy, go for it pal.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #3707418th Nov 2008 5:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I thought we discussed the use of Spiggots some time back Confused

As when I had my last tyres fitted, a chap before me that was having a new set of wheels & tyres, came back 5 min later complaining about steering vibration.
They took the wheels off and fitted a set of spiggots.
I queeried this at the time with them, thinking it was a re-balancing job.
But it was only spiggots that were required!!

Anyway, glad you're sorted Al
Thumbs Up
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #3707438th Nov 2008 5:19 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

AC, will celibrate ur good news with an Indian takeaway and bottle of £3.72 vino from Co-Op! Thumbs Up

Post #3707458th Nov 2008 5:24 pm
al cope

England 

Dont think we did Ron, as I was convinced that as all the wheels were for LR (I've never seen Vspokes or Stormers on a Beemer), they'd have the right hole in them. I have used spigots before as I had 19's and 20's on my TD5, and they were definately needed then.

Still cant believe I didnt think/check this before.

Cheers DSL Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #3707468th Nov 2008 5:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Nothing wrong with being a Dick Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #3707548th Nov 2008 6:03 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Good result Al, I doff my titfer at your perserverance Thumbs Up
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #3707558th Nov 2008 6:06 pm
Googsy

Ireland 

Unreal what does she drive like Al? Also where did you get the spigots. Im foaming at the mouth thinking V Spokes with 295s mmmmmmmmmmmm
 Googsy
2008 HSE TDV8

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder... 

Post #3707698th Nov 2008 7:05 pm
TSR2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Great result Al. Just shows if something isn't quite right keep at it until you find out why..... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Bow down Bow down

Post #3707748th Nov 2008 7:18 pm
al cope

England 

cheers chaps

I was determined to get to the bottom of it - hate giving up

As I said, I've got some 275/45 Hankook Ventus tyres on these, not the cheapest around, but not top quality either. Now that the shimmy has stopped, it feels as good as it does on the 255/55x19 Scorpions that I have as well.

Now, some decent tyres maybe, got my eyes on a set of 295/45/20 114ZR Continental Cross Contact UHP Tyres, once 'er indoors is looking the other way. Thumbs Up

Googsy - they are like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0302854407

Only I paid a tenner from a local wheel place to me.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #3708078th Nov 2008 9:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >