Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

3 Big Problems - Help needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bernie

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
3 Big Problems - Help needed

My 2006 hse goes into Ripon in 2 weeks for year 4 service and mot.In addition 3 problems for them to sort.The car has only done 28000mls and tows a 1800kg caravan most of its life. I would like your help to come up with any tsb details that fit. Problems are:
1/ Vibration on acceleration from autobox.It appears to need the oft quoted oil change/flush.Is there a TSB for this or are LR burying their heads. As a side issue,at last years service,Ireported a slight transmission vibration ( still under warranty) to be told they could not find anything.
2/THey had the car for 2 days in June to cure: Engine system fault message appearing together with slight loss of power and loads of black smoke on kickdown. This only happened when towing and could be cured by stopping.turning off and restarting. It would then reoccur anything from 10 mins later to 4 hours later. They found no fault codes and nothing wrong.It happened 12 times on our recent trip to Scotland and back! Is there a TSB or procedure I can give them.
3/ And now the scary one! On 3 occasions the message Special Programmes off has appeared with a BONG and instant loss of all power.Engine ticks over but will not rev.ON the last occasion we were going uphill on theA9 south from Inverness overtaking A Morrisons arctic in heavy traffic.If the driver of the artic had not responded very quickly to my Hazards god knows what would have happened. Again has LR briefed on this?This only happens when towing uphill and on kickdown. It dissapears on restarting!

Post #51358531st Aug 2009 3:27 pm
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Don't send it to Ripon, get TFC to look at it first, you can then take it with confidence for any warranty jobs that need doing, apart from being cheaper, (even when travelling to N Yorks) he knows at lot more than most dealers and certainly cares more. Thumbs Up
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #51359631st Aug 2009 4:00 pm
Bernie

Thx Willy but sadly the warranty finished last year.In fairness to Ripon I have been a customer for 30 years and after 2 R Rovers and 6 Discos I have always been looked after. I guess I will take your advice if they give me the " nothing wrong" cop out. I didnt know that TFC would travel this far North.Doesnt he get a nose bleed?
Cheers
Bernie

Post #51359931st Aug 2009 4:12 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

I had a D2 TD5 which, after a remap, used to periodically trip the torque overload sensor in the autobox if driven hard or towing uphill, resulting in the 'safe mode' that you describe. Restart would reset things and all would be well for a while.
Might be something similar.

Dex

Post #51360331st Aug 2009 4:19 pm
lad

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Bernie, I have the same problem as your number 3 one, when you put your foot down to go, after a while when the turbo has kicked you lose power and it says 'engine fault' and 'no special programs' now I have found out while these are being displayed you can press the accelerator down with no response, but if you wait until the displays have cleared, ie don't press the accelerator, I seem to get back the power and I can drive on.
I know its no use when you are in the middle of a busy road! I have yet to switch off the engine to clear the problem/get back power. I was told by the dealer to change the fuel filter, which TFC had done so about a month before while doing a service, before the problem started, but the dealer changed it anyway and its still happens. The dealer have changed a few things but it still happens now and then, I CAN'T MAKE IT HAPPEN it just does it.
I know its no solution but if you get any joy with your dealer it would be a little help (maybe) if they find owt out to sort mine.
TFC said it may be the air flow mass sensor, I have yet to change it (the dealer won't change it so I am going to myself) and the fault code is P2290, low fuel pressure.

Good luck Thumbs Up

Post #51360431st Aug 2009 4:19 pm
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

No TFC likes to travel he's been up to service my freelander, he likes travelling about and alot cheaper than Ripon Land Rover. I agree having been faithful to Ripon you should maybe give them a chance, but I (my opinion only ) would prefer to use someone who is an enthusiast and drive a D3 daily.

Good Luck and hope you get your car back to how it should be.

pete
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #51360531st Aug 2009 4:22 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Shocked Engine System Fault, "i" on the dashbord, that sounds very familiar.

Mine was a failed Turbo TBH, only cure was to turn off and sometimes it didnt re-occur, till one day the turbo just gave out.

Get the dealer to check the turbo just for reassurance

Post #51364031st Aug 2009 6:23 pm
Bernie

Thx for replies so far. I thought these problems were much more common. Surely someone must have solved them. Have LR issued ANY communications to Dealers?
Living in hope!
Bernie.

Post #5140851st Sep 2009 5:47 pm
Bernie

Last reminder. The car goes in next week. Has anyone got any TSB details or info for me to quote to Dealer?
Cheers
Bernie

Post #5172598th Sep 2009 11:45 am
Bernie

Next Tuesday is getting closer. Is there anybody there?
Living in hope
Bernie

Post #51825710th Sep 2009 1:32 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Q1 - Double flush is a procedure any LR dealer should be familiar with! If they need to be quoted a TSB i would be worried as to their competence TBH.

Q2 & Q3 - can't help thinkning they may be related somehow - same applies to any of these with regard to TSB's as stated above.

No TSB's but things you should get them to check
1. Turbo Hoses
2. EGR's
3. Turbo
4. The battery, it is a major long shot, but it has been known to induce other faults if it is on its way out.

If they can't find the fault having exhausted all of that then take it to the next level, but they should be able to sort it out for you given all of this, if not, then let us know what they say Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Last edited by SJR on 10th Sep 2009 4:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #51826510th Sep 2009 1:39 pm
wilsonmg

England 

For the problem 2 and 3 . I would put my money on the EGR sticking. . happened to me quite a lot (especially when towing as you described). Got the blanking plates and had them installed. . hey presto all been fine for the last 6 months. Thumbs Up
 Still miss my D3 Sad  
Post #51831710th Sep 2009 3:13 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi,

Q1 - As already said can be sorted with a double flush, I did mine last week and it was very easy and cheap to do although getting the new fluid in requires a pump. The main cost in this is the oil. Land Rover charge about £18 a litre and suggest you need 13 litres, which is annoying as 50% of it gets dumped straight away.

Millers oils sell it for about £28 for 5 litres but if you get 15 litres (as I did) I got 10% discount so it cost about £75 for 15 litres and acutally I still have enough left to do another flush when I change the sump pan - which I didn't do because I didn't have replacement bolts and the ones on it were not coming off without a serious flight!

So even if you don't want to do it yourself, don't pay £18 a litre for the oil. Get it from millers and take it with you. In terms of time it takes about 30mins to do the double flush so don't pay for 4 hours labour etc.

If you want a contact that can supply the oil and did the 10% discount for me then I can send you that - just PM me. I don't want to publish his details on here without his permission.

Good luck with it all
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #51835510th Sep 2009 4:39 pm
Bernie

Thanks for your help.I will let you know how we get on.
Cheers
Bernie

Post #51836610th Sep 2009 4:59 pm
Bernie

Just to let you all know the result!
Just collected car. Year 4 service, MOT, Drained and replaced 5ltr of gearbox oil, Items 2 & 3 showed as fault codes this time which pointed to a faulting manifold sensor.This was caked with carbon. Cleaned and appears OK.
Total cost £749.68 that is:Labour £348, MOT £54, Fuel filter £57.22, Oil filter £8.27, Air filter £29.71, Oil drain plug £2.30, Transmission oil £99.20, Castrol 5w-30 £50.73, Enviromental charge £7.50, Sundry parts £2.00
VAT £90.75.

The gearbox vibration has certainly gone ( does this mean I need to change every 27000miles) I will need to tow to see if others are cured.Not due to tow till next month.
Thanks for all your help guys.
Cheers
Bernie

Post #52083716th Sep 2009 5:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >