Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

3 days old. 2 weeks on- suspension collapse, Blow out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
dgh1000

3 days old. 2 weeks on- suspension collapse, Blow out

What a great car in the snow - until 1 week after getting it back and 8 days driving in the 3 weeks we've had it. The suspension collapsed on the motorway. I heard noises from the back which at first I thought was a stone in the tyre. Then the suspension went down and the error message said suspension error drive under thirty which was a bit hard on the motorway. I was desperate to get back to my son who is in hospital. Tried limping along to the next exit as the weather is horrific here. Bang the rear tyre must have been rubbing the wheel arch. Fortunately I made a pretty controlled exit to the hard shoulder as I was going fairly slow.

This was the first journey from the dealer where they had just had leather seats fitted after getting some compensation from land rover for my junction box failing after 3 days.

This car is cursed. Either that or it was built Friday afternoon after the incompetents that half built my car got back from the pub. This car isn't finished yet but I've been sold it. Unless I signed up to a test scheme not a car purchase.

Post #7236541st Dec 2010 12:21 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Shocked jeepers! not a good start

Glad it didnt happen at speed!!!!!

Hope you get sorted

Oh and the nipper is feelin better soon Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #7236621st Dec 2010 12:41 am
dgh1000

The replacement vehicle I was offered was a mondeo. I declined the offer and took a taxi and a walk to my snow bound house. I had already nearly frozen to death waiting two hours by the motorway earlier so didn't fancy getting stranded again. I bought a disco as my first 4x4 after being unable to get to my house for 2 months of last year. When you really need a like for like replacement they give you a mondeo. I told the bloke he might as well have given me a strawberry jelly as it would be equally as useful for getting me home. There are currently around 30 cars abandoned lower down our hill.

Post #7236761st Dec 2010 1:43 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

You get a noise of unknown origin and car dumps to access height while at motorway speeds. The car tells you max 30 mph but you push on.

Now I know you were trying to get to your son in hospital, but you could have joined him and brought a lot of people with you. That noise could have been the tyre shedding due to debris. You were lucky brake lines weren't damaged.

Be interested to know the cause, but given that you continued to push on ignoring the warnings and further damaging the car, it may prove difficult to establish the order and cause of any failures.

Next time a warning light comes on, do yourself and the motorists around you a favour and make a brief check of the cause Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #7237081st Dec 2010 9:02 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

You sure it wasn't a flat which bought up the warning in the first place.

Flat might have taken out a suspension sensor and coupled with change in wheel rotation speed, caused the warnings.

More importantly I hope your son is doing OK, I probably would have done the same and try to make it. Normally you can drive on the bump stops, it shouldn't wreck the tyre, which is why I think the flay may have caused it.

Post #7237091st Dec 2010 9:09 am
dgh1000

I "pushed on at 30" to the next exit. The car didn't say stop and I couldn't feel a flat.

Post #7237151st Dec 2010 9:25 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

dgh1000 wrote:
The car didn't say stop

Sorry .....all personal circumstances aside ....should you be in possesion of a driving licence ? Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7237271st Dec 2010 9:57 am
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

shocking but completely expected standard LR pants dealer service. Why didn't they give you one of their demonstrators to use or one of the many second hand ones they have sitting on the forcourt ? They don't give a toss about the customer is why. They have your cash so for them transaction is done.

As you have found LR products when working are brilliant but the dealers are consistently fuc**ng useless. Reject it, hire a 4x4 and bill them for the hire charge. Small claims them if they quibble.

Remember your purchase is with the dealer NOT landrover.

Pom

Post #7237321st Dec 2010 10:15 am
mzplcg

England 

DG wrote:
dgh1000 wrote:
The car didn't say stop

Sorry .....all personal circumstances aside ....should you be in possesion of a driving licence ? Rolling Eyes

Ever considered joining the Diplomatic Corps DG ?? Whistle Whistle

Agree with the sentiment but your choice of words is a trifle harsh.

That said, the car gave a definite indication that all was not well so a brief stop on the shoulder to perform a re-start would have taken but a few minutes and probably cleared the fault temporarily.

As for the dealer, well I'd be down there making a bit of a fuss quite frankly.

At least nobody's hurt and hope the OP's lad gets better quickly.

Dom

Post #7237391st Dec 2010 10:31 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

mzplcg wrote:
Ever considered joining the Diplomatic Corps DG ?? Whistle Whistle

Thought DG was the Welsh Ambassador to The Big Smoke!! Snigger

Post #7237531st Dec 2010 10:57 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Hold on that message happens a lot and it is normally safe to continue. Even if the air bags deflate, it should only drop to access height. There should be no tyre shredding.

Best practice is not to stop on the hard shoulder but if you think it is safe to do so come off at the next exit.

I don't think it was that unreasonable to carry on given the information.

Post #7237631st Dec 2010 11:39 am
dgh1000

My son is getting better and i managed to get to the hospital.
The flat coming first makes sense. The suspension error threw me I would 't have carried on if I didn't think it was a compressor failure just dumping the car on the bump stops. The error said don't drive over thirty so I assumed I could make it to the next exit if not the hospital at 30. If I had a flat for any distance the snow meant I was probably getting more traction not less on the deflating wheel. At the time I thought the suspension failure meant the wheel was able to rub or a wishbone bolt had come out allowing rearward movement and rubbing and then the blowout. I'll see what the garage say.

Post #7237641st Dec 2010 11:42 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Harsh Confused I thought I was well restrained Laughing Does this explain my lack of friends and social standing do you think? Mr. Green
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 1st Dec 2010 12:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7237651st Dec 2010 11:43 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

At least now I know what DG stands for: "Diplomatic Gore"

Post #7237731st Dec 2010 11:53 am
jojim65

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

As a matter of interest, if you do get a total loss of tyre pressure does the suspension try to maintain the height of the other 3 tyres or simply drop to the height of the punctured tyre.

I would have thought that if it keeps the car level you might not even know you had a puncture at speed until you heard the tyre destroying itself....

Post #7237771st Dec 2010 12:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >