Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

My 3.0 TDV6 XS 2010 134000 mile
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jlastsr

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
My 3.0 TDV6 XS 2010 134000 mile

Bought on EBay for the princely sum of £5200. It is the most I have ever spent on acquiring a car. My Jaguar S type for example was bought for £1000 with 69,000 miles on the clock and has now done 136,000.

I knew it would have some gremlins I mean what doesn't when in middle age. It was refreshing to see that there was an issue with a charging lamp but a charging battery. I thought that probably a simple fix so bought it.

Picked the car up and set off. Oh boy that was not so fun first time I put my foot down out went the world behind in a cloud of oil smoke and up came restricted performance. Drove home like that. No more oil smoke though so not quite so bad as first thought.

Discovered battery management system wire to positive terminal broken crimped in new section battery light out. Problem 1 solved.

Fault codes on the restricted performance which came in at 2800 rpm on the flat. Turbo 2 I thought. No smoke now and lots of power there so maybe not turbo itself. Code reader said P22D3 and P22CF. Inlet valve stuck shut. In my head it sounded more like. The car was saying told it to move this actuator it didn't move I'm not happy.
Thought after some research either vacuum pipe issue or actuator actually stuck. I don't have a vacuum tester but I know a garage that does.

New problem fuel water circuit failure.

Garage said yup vacuum problem someone had broken a t piece and then plumbed the feedback to the live line. Vacuum at the actuator nil. All good now. Oh and reattached wire to fuel filter should have stopped fuel water warning. It didn't, there is no water in the fuel.

Went to Ipswich lovely hour drive out all good came home 6 miles from home problem no turbos feels like a broken engine. Oh bother. Next day i notice a Bit of oil at top front of engine. Bit less worried I have had a thought the fault codes are saying MAF A fault, MAP fault, turbo boost low. Oil near throttle body hmm run home with engine that suddenly is using two turbos. Could this be a breather suddenly working again? Started car no issues. Except fuel water cleared that. Drove fine. Took out MAP sensor cleaned with sensor cleaner. Some oil in there but not much. OK this could have been the issue. Need to go for a longish drive and see what happens.

I am thinking if the fuel water went off whether wire on or off that the wire is likely the problem.

It also needs new wishbone bushes. Will get them done this week. Might be lovely car soon, but it is like a constantly changing puzzle to be solved at the moment.

Post #233307212th Apr 2023 4:11 am
Jlastsr

Did a little drive today full power acceleration and it went to RP on the over run. Did it twice more today last couple of times just triggered MAF A faults. I will try giving it a clean but a new MAF sensor maybe the answer.

Post #233315212th Apr 2023 10:06 pm
Jlastsr

New bottom control arms fitted new wheel bearing nearside fitted. Swapped MAF sensors over and made it use full boost and it all worked no errors.ordered 2nd hand working MAF to have on hand as it looks like my former A now B MAF may have a gremlin. For the moment it is just the fuel water sensor being annoying.

I have read that replacing the filter housing and the sensor is the solution. It has a new filter on it now it must be a wire the sensor or the fitting. I think I will try and work out which bit it actually is. Only trouble it doesn't do it after every start. Any body with suggestions feel free to bung them in my direction.

The Discovery was bought to replace my venerable 2003 Terracan which has 182000 miles on the clock. It still drives as well as it ever did. It was improved by adding Bilstein shocks so it rides well but it is not as good as the Discovery to drive but it is very nearly as comfortable.

The Terracan has been to Norway 7 times a round trip each time of 3200 miles. It has made there and back every time the first time we had an injector block but since then it has made it without faults. Then each year we have a few faults that we sort before the next big trip. These have included blown hoses, head gasket twice, clutch master cylinder rear suspension bushes. If I can get the Discovery to be similarly reliable I will be thrilled but that should be achievable I hope.

Last edited by Jlastsr on 20th Apr 2023 9:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #233333814th Apr 2023 7:45 pm
Jlastsr

More news
I forgot on day 2 of ownership my wife pointed out that her side heater didn't work. She asked would that be the matrix? I said unlikely if just your side, all resources told me she was right I was wrong, back flushed the matrix. Improved the heat on both sides. However on her side at idle it is barely hot anything over 1000 rpm and it is OK so still some blockage may need to do it again. Could potentially try some chemical as well as flushing with water. However had to apologise to Kim and recognise her diagnostic prowess.

Liberally coated the wiring to and from the fuel filter housing with WD40 then Silicone then Chain oil no detectable difference with each slightly more desperate application.

Ordered fuel filter housing then read about how one chap found low voltage on the harness that provides power to the fuel filter housing harness wire. On tracing it back they found the wire had been damaged near back of battery. He thought when they had taken the body off to do a turbo.

I had a good look without actually taking anything out. For a moment I thought a set of wires were trapped under the battery but I found I could move them freely so I think they are under the battery tray. I could not see any obvious damage to any wiring there.

When I replace the filter housing I will check voltage at the connector and wire colours and try and trace back if the voltage is low.

We might be getting close to a resolution. We still get the warning about 60% of the time.

Post #233373718th Apr 2023 6:22 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Keep persevering. They're great when they work. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #233373918th Apr 2023 6:55 pm
Jlastsr

Thanks Moo, we went out to have a fish for a trout and a pub dinner last night, took a scenic route then a faster route back. I lost a trout while fishing, the hook snapped, probably one of my very old flies. However the Discovery while we had p2264 on the way down we didn't on the way back and it drove very nicely.

The USB port doesn't want to work. Got an auxiliary device that allows the phone to work with the infotainment system if I can incorporate a hub I can then get the phone to charge as well.

I will be shortly selling all the cars currently on the drive. That is :
Saab 9-5 Kim's old car not run in 6 years. Will get it roadworthy if possible.
My fathers Terracan 136000 not run for 3 years. Only fault was the central locking from the remote didn't work. Will get it roadworthy.
My Terracan 182000 miles I shall probably have a tear in my eye when she goes.
My Jaguar S Type 3.0 sport 145000 miles needs new DCCV unit, headlining is sagging otherwise for a 22 year old car it is pretty good. Needs a bit of love but is a classic of the future.

That will leave Kim's Jaguar and my Sunbeam Lotus and Discovery. Might look a bit tidier then as well.

Managed to buy a tow bar for the Discovery will also put a security plate on so it doesn't escape. So Saturday off to pick it up in Northampton.

Post #233400821st Apr 2023 3:03 am
Jlastsr

Went and picked up a towbar about 100 miles away. Out perfect behaviour. Started on way back and got to a roundabout decelerated then saw gap accelerated judder judder, black smoke, then restricted performance. MAF A, Turbo pressure faults. So reset it as we were travelling, no repeats. It shows that the MAF sensor was not the main culprit. It could be a split hose but why only sometimes. It could be slow actuation. Only happens when hard acceleration full deceleration then on this occasion hard acceleration full deceleration, full acceleration. If the turbo pressure slow to be switched back to the engine then that would go rich. Suggests it could just need more driving to find out more. Oh dear what a shame.

Post #233427423rd Apr 2023 8:18 am
Jlastsr

No journeys to report but moved it twice this evening no warning about water. Typical I have the repair unit now!

Been reading about broken crankshafts. Do any do 200,000 miles without a problem? Also cambelts due in September this year I will check in the history to find a mention of the previous change. It has only done 134,000 so previous cambelt change may have been delayed by as much as 2 years or not so worth a check I think.

Post #233476326th Apr 2023 10:25 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Jlastsr wrote:
Went and picked up a towbar about 100 miles away. Out perfect behaviour. Started on way back and got to a roundabout decelerated then saw gap accelerated judder judder, black smoke, then restricted performance. MAF A, Turbo pressure faults. So reset it as we were travelling, no repeats. It shows that the MAF sensor was not the main culprit. It could be a split hose but why only sometimes. It could be slow actuation. Only happens when hard acceleration full deceleration then on this occasion hard acceleration full deceleration, full acceleration. If the turbo pressure slow to be switched back to the engine then that would go rich. Suggests it could just need more driving to find out more. Oh dear what a shame.

Sounds like it could be a split manifold. Common problem.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #233476626th Apr 2023 11:06 pm
Jlastsr

Thank you Moo I agree it does sound like it could be. I will have to try full beans more of the time if it was a bit more consistent when it happened I would be fully in agreement, it was fairly consistent then we cleaned and swapped the MAF sensors over and it has only done it once since in nearly 400 miles. I will try a few experiments with full throttle, off throttle, full throttle to try and get it to happen again. Oh good a trip or two with the mpg in single figures is in order. If I can I would always want to have a good idea of what the fault is to help the garage find the fault quickly.

Local garage has a smoke tester, so we could try that too, probably not until it does it say twice more less than 100 miles apart? If it is that then doing the cambelts at the same time might be sensible once I find out when these current ones were put on. While it is a 59 plate I suspect it was an early 2010 vehicle. So probably not quite due cambelts. The history that came with it is a bit sketchy. The last owner says they weren't aware it had a problem with restricted performance under acceleration which was the vacuum issue we solved. I don't think it had the turbo drain modification either, so not holding out massive hope that the cambelts were changed when due as that is at least two owners that could have sorted niggles and didn't, so they may well have not done servicing on time. Not having a dipstick I find a bit frustrating too.

Post #233476927th Apr 2023 3:27 am
disco chris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Plenty out there going strong with over 200k miles... search for the thread 'max mileage' or something like that. My D3 is at 245k. Although these things can happen at any time, anecdotally it seems more common in the 60-100k mile range.

Post #233477327th Apr 2023 7:05 am
goldypurple

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Jlastsr wrote:
Thank you Moo I agree it does sound like it could be. I will have to try full beans more of the time if it was a bit more consistent when it happened I would be fully in agreement, it was fairly consistent then we cleaned and swapped the MAF sensors over and it has only done it once since in nearly 400 miles. I will try a few experiments with full throttle, off throttle, full throttle to try and get it to happen again. Oh good a trip or two with the mpg in single figures is in order. If I can I would always want to have a good idea of what the fault is to help the garage find the fault quickly.

Local garage has a smoke tester, so we could try that too, probably not until it does it say twice more less than 100 miles apart? If it is that then doing the cambelts at the same time might be sensible once I find out when these current ones were put on. While it is a 59 plate I suspect it was an early 2010 vehicle. So probably not quite due cambelts. The history that came with it is a bit sketchy. The last owner says they weren't aware it had a problem with restricted performance under acceleration which was the vacuum issue we solved. I don't think it had the turbo drain modification either, so not holding out massive hope that the cambelts were changed when due as that is at least two owners that could have sorted niggles and didn't, so they may well have not done servicing on time. Not having a dipstick I find a bit frustrating too.

Sound very similar to my Disco 4 when I got it, its also a 09/10. would drive it 500 mile then it would go restricted turn off and reset be golden for another couple hundred miles, then it be back again.

Mine turned out to be the Crossover pipe and EGR pipe, after that it was good for around 6 weeks before the inlet manifolds went, so cost me around £4k in a couple of months.

since then no issues in 9 months and probably 5k miles.

good luck finding the issue, by the way I'm only in Brandon so pretty close.

Post #233478527th Apr 2023 7:56 am
Jlastsr

Hi Goldypurple we are Beck Row so round the corner from you. Went out today and caned it. Had just given up on trying to make it fail with hard acceleration and out it went on just a tickle of throttle. On reset immediately went out again. Will see what happens tomorrow. It could be CSOV but probably post turbo pipes or manifold so booked in for a smoke test next Friday.

Goldypurple when you did the crossover pipe was that done body on?

Post #233488327th Apr 2023 11:23 pm
goldypurple

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Yes the garage done it with body on, wasnt a cheap job Sad

Post #233488728th Apr 2023 7:38 am
Jlastsr

I can imagine it looks awkward to get to.. .

Day two of driving with lots of turbo, no turbo, behaved perfectly. Well except, and this is probably unlikely, the acceleration is not always quite the same. I aim to fit the new fuel filter and housing over the weekend.

Day three of drive like the accelerator has only two positions. Behaved perfectly. Decided to not swap the fuel filter housing as that seems to be behaving normally now.

Post #233496428th Apr 2023 10:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >