DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

3D Printed phone holder
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AdamRandall

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
3D Printed phone holder

Good morning one and all,

After toying with the idea for some time I've finally purchased a 3D printer, it's a Creality Ender 3 V1, if you're interested.

I had several projects in mind before committing such as replacing some of my Disco's damaged or missing interior plastics.
Now that I have had a chance to play with the printer and establish it's capabilities I've decided I want to experiment with the idea of printing a bespoke phone holder to fit in the nook on my dash in place of the LCD display installed on HSE models.

I want the holder to include wireless charging that is hidden within the unit, I have found a few suitable units on Amazon priced under £10.

My question is, are there any forum members that have experience with 3D printing that have tried something similar before and can offer me advice or guidance?
 12 months of D3 ownership have passed and I’m still loving it!  
Post #222423413th Apr 2021 2:14 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Have a look here ... https://disco4.com/forum/post2165285.html#2165285 ... for starters

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #222423513th Apr 2021 5:04 am
dgarside

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I did a simple (still took time to get lengths/angles right) holder for a wireless charger and the Apple magsafe.

Only downside is that it needs an Apple Magsafe case or no case phone for it to be strong enough to stay on. Thankfully I found an ex-display Apple case on Ebay for a cheap price and works well now. I have it linked to a USB-C/USB socket which I used to replace the standard cig lighter. Took some getting out on the LR socket, but the new one works really well.

I'd prefer to find somewhere to have a wireless charging tray, but other than in the centre console/cubby, which I'm sure I would forget all the time, I don't see anywhere good at the moment.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Spare Wheel Protector
RLD Sump Protector
ProSpeed Compressor Cover
TPMS Retrofit
Range Rover Digital Dash Upgrade
Tesla Style Android Screen Upgrade 

Post #222431613th Apr 2021 11:23 am
dgarside

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

BTW my 3D printer is the Ender 3 as well, works really well once all setup/bed aligned and hotend/bed temps are setup for the filament. Takes some doing and I regularly check bed level to head when printing, just to get the right 'squish' on the filament.

Tips wise - when you first start printing your model and testing it out in the Disco, print at a low quality to speed up and save on the cost of filament. I ended up doing about 12/13 revisions to get it right. You could start with the mainframe/mounting of the holder, get that right in the vehicle before you get into the center phone holder bit. I built my model in two separate bits so I could get the clip right without printing the wireless holder and then put the two models together for final revisions.

The 3D modeling bit and learning the software takes time and is a skill.... be patient Wink

Also, research what filament is best to use, they are certainly not all the same and different types are stronger/higher temperature range (after you've printed) than others. I've tried PLA, PLA+ and PETG. PETG was a bit of a nightmare and took a long while to get dialed in, and even then still a bit stringy. I've stuck to reasonable quality PLA and PLA+ since.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Spare Wheel Protector
RLD Sump Protector
ProSpeed Compressor Cover
TPMS Retrofit
Range Rover Digital Dash Upgrade
Tesla Style Android Screen Upgrade 

Post #222431813th Apr 2021 11:26 am
AdamRandall

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

dgarside,

I like your work! I am fortunate enough to not have a screen above the head unit so I intend to fill the space with a printed model.

I also plan to integrate a charging coil within the structure such as this one

Also, I'm fortunate enough to be proficient in the use of 3D modelling software, its part of my job and a big selling point in my decision to purchase a printer because I only had to learn printing techniques, below is a snip of what I work with normally (please excuse the poor lighting! The image is normally lightened in photo shop).

Click image to enlarge

I'm going to get some decent dimensions of the available space tonight and begin modelling then I'll post some pictures and see what you think.
 12 months of D3 ownership have passed and I’m still loving it!  
Post #222434413th Apr 2021 1:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >