Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

5W ultrabright LED sidelight replacements-ideal with Xenons?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Thanks Matt - Looks cool !! - mine should be in the post 'morrow. Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #3796418th Jan 2006 1:32 am
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I've just taken delivery of my 3rd D3, this time in Rimini Red, ala Fireman Sam Smile and am interested in changing the side lights to LEDs.This is purely flower arranging exercise since the side lights are yellow and the main beeam a blue/white and it would look so much cooler if they both were blue/white.

Earlier however it states that with adaptive Headlights there's no enough space between the main unit and replacement LED, due to heat requirements is this correct? I've only just got my '06 HSE and haven't even been out in the dark yet to see how the lights work but still any clarification would be most appreciated.

If LEDs cannot be used due to the heat output from the Xenons, are there other 501 bulb replacements that would produce a suitbale blue/white beam?

Post #3800218th Jan 2006 12:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Welcome back Thumbs Up
The compatability issue relates to the adaptive 'turn' lights, not the HID lamps. In the same area as the side lights, there is a Quartz Halogen lamp very close to the lampholder for the sidelights. the manufacturer of the LED replacement warns of not putting them in close proximity to Quartz Halogen lamps. Although the turn lamps are not illuminated for extended periods and probably wouldn't cause a problem, the prospect of scraping melted plastic from the inside of the reflector or having to replace a headlamp unit or two is enough to pursuade me to heed the warning...
Vehicles without the adaptive lighting are OK for the conversion

Post #3800718th Jan 2006 12:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Matt.y

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks Matt - Looks cool !! - mine should be in the post 'morrow.

You're welcome, thanks for the info in the first place, I must say that I am tempted to go the whole hog and LED the rear lights as well, but then I would have to put purple tubes underneath the car and blue LED's on the windscreen washers and I think I am a bit too old for that nonsense.

Post #3806918th Jan 2006 8:39 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Anyone know how much the full replacement Xenon lamp units are? My base-7 only has halogens and they are no where near as good. They are easy to fit/remove as I have put the LED sidelights in so fitting shouldn't be a problem. (assuming the wiring and connectors are the same)
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #3811718th Jan 2006 11:07 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

They're a direct replacement I do believe but at about £350 a side you might want to think again! Someone on here got some from a breakers at I good price I seem to remember....
 The End  
Post #3811818th Jan 2006 11:09 pm
10forcash

Yep, they're the same connectors.... ebay is your best bet for reasonably sensible prices.... otherwise be prepared to lose the thick end of £800+ depending on which lamp assemblies you want

Post #3812018th Jan 2006 11:10 pm
MVS

Just fitted LED side light bulbs.
Have taken a few snaps at dusk but awkward to get good images. Put one in here, & there are a couple more in my gallery.
They are a lot brighter than I thought they would be having seen them on in daylight.
[/img]

Post #4327220th Feb 2006 7:19 pm
irf

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:

The compatability issue relates to the adaptive 'turn' lights, not the HID lamps. In the same area as the side lights, there is a Quartz Halogen lamp very close to the lampholder for the sidelights. the manufacturer of the LED replacement warns of not putting them in close proximity to Quartz Halogen lamps.

No sign of heat problems with adaptive turn lights after a month . . . yet.

Will continue to monitor.

Be aware thought that they throw almost no light out sideways compared to the originals.

This would be a problem in "a sticking one's nose out of a junction with sidelights only" situation.

Post #4328220th Feb 2006 8:29 pm
MVS

Quite true almost like mini forward facing light tubes.
However if you have auto headlights head & side-lights come on together.

Post #4331020th Feb 2006 9:39 pm
CarlW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

irf wrote:
Be aware thought that they throw almost no light out sideways compared to the originals.

This would be a problem in "a sticking one's nose out of a junction with sidelights only" situation.

I've not removed my front lights yet to look at the back of them but looking very closely from the side at the orange reflector strip it looks like there is provision for adding a small light (or LED) to shine through. Has anyone looked what would be needed?

I did have one of the rear units out over the weekend and there is a moulding for adding a sideways facing bulb in the back units but the moulding is sealed - it would only need the correct shaped hole to take one of the standard LR lampholders. I am considering drilling a number of 5mm holes in this and inserting a few red LED's - maybe the fronts are similar?

Carl
 Disco 4 Landmark
Mercedes Benz SLK CDi
BMW 335D Touring
Defender XS SW 2010 - gone
TDV8 2008 RRS - gone
Disco 3 HSE 2005 - gone
BMW R1150GS 

Post #4331120th Feb 2006 9:40 pm
Dan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Carl, there is a lamp holder and wiring directly into the amber part of the lense which you refer to. I tried sticking a bulb in but it didn't light up when the lights were on... Perhaps it needs enabling by your LR dealer?

Post #4332020th Feb 2006 9:59 pm
Matt.y

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I noticed the additional space for a bulb towards the amber side section of the light unit, on mine it was blocked at the end so the side light bulb wouldn't be visible from the outside. I assume that this slot is for a foriegn market, I didn't have the courage to attempt to drill through the blockage bearing in mind the replacement costs! even though it seemed a good idea particularly with nosing out of junctions in mind.

Post #4333020th Feb 2006 10:29 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I think you might find that permenant amber lighting is required in conjunction with the main headlights when driving in most American states -perhaps the UK units are prepped for that?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4334720th Feb 2006 11:34 pm
10forcash

Ahhh... the 51st state conspiracy Wink say 'ner more Whistle

Post #4335020th Feb 2006 11:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >