DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

61 reg - bluetooth music
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pmajor

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
61 reg - bluetooth music

Hi all,

Bought a new Skoda Yeti two years ago - nice car. The problem was that everytime I drove passed a D4 my heart sank - I really wanted to be driving one of those.

Went into a LR dealer last week to see what they had, and bought a used D4. It's Fuji White, 61 reg Landmark Edition. The most awesomest I'll ever own I suspect!

When I bought it I asked whether it had a bluetooth and got an affirmative. When I picked it up yesterday first thing I tried to do was pair my phone, only to find that it's only got bluetooth phone, not bluetooth music. A slight mark on a happy day.

So, what's the best way to get bluetooth audio? Ideally it would be controlled via the touch screen / steering wheel controls. It really has to be bluetooth because USB won't work. The files aren't on my phone, I use Spotify.

Grateful for any advice...

Post #113426321st Jul 2013 5:35 pm
Comc

Scotland 

I think it can only be done by installing something like a Parrot Kit, wwhich I wouldn't do to a D3 let alone a newer D4.

I am a Spotify user also, and the best I can do is to plug an Aux cable into my speaker port on my phone and control Spotify by the phone screen.

Welcome to the fold!
 Colin
Sunroof Drains Cleared
BAS EGR Blanking Kit Installed
Perm Live Aux "Link"
DVD Player Installed
LED sidelights, front indicators, side repeaters, number plate lights, interior lighting done
De-IrnBru'd Headlights
D4 Rear Lights
Belts Changed by Indy
Dr Tranny added to Gearbox
Aftermarket LR Bluetooth Kit removed and D4 Module installed
Suspension Compressor Dryer Overhaul
Front Fog Light Loom Repaired
Drivers Heated Seat Base Replaced

To do:
Remap 

Post #113429821st Jul 2013 7:31 pm
Mambosasa

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I tried one of the bluetooth dongles on the wiggly connector and all I get is device error.

Is there a way of moving the aux port to the front?
 D4 HSE all the way

Post #113433421st Jul 2013 8:51 pm
pmajor

Thanks comc,

I looked at the Parrot 9200 (i think?). It looks like it doesn't integrate with the touch screen, so you have to have a couple of widgets stuck around the dash to display and change tracks etc. Not ideal...

I was wondering about a USB bluetooth dongle, but I'm pretty sure that won't work - it would need drivers in the on board computer to work.

I thought maybe this might work - KitSound AirDock.

http://www.kitsound.co.uk/product/KSDKAIR/

It plugs into an Apple 30 pin connector on one side, and the phone connects to it via bluetooth. Then I realized that the iphone connector on the D4 isn't a standard 30 pin connector, it's a proprietary LR connector, so I doubt the AirDock would work...

Post #113433721st Jul 2013 9:04 pm
pmajor

Actually, I just found this Tune2Air:
http://www.viseeostore.com/products/viseeo-tune2air-wma1000.html

this product explicitly says it works in cars with ipod connectors.

It looks exactly like the KitSound AirDock, but 3 times the cost.

Post #113436521st Jul 2013 10:17 pm
Comc

Scotland 

Looks interesting. Just one thing tho. Your phone can only pair with one bluetooth device at a time, therefore it will not be able to do both calls through the car and music through the adapter at the same time?

Or is that not an issue for you?
 Colin
Sunroof Drains Cleared
BAS EGR Blanking Kit Installed
Perm Live Aux "Link"
DVD Player Installed
LED sidelights, front indicators, side repeaters, number plate lights, interior lighting done
De-IrnBru'd Headlights
D4 Rear Lights
Belts Changed by Indy
Dr Tranny added to Gearbox
Aftermarket LR Bluetooth Kit removed and D4 Module installed
Suspension Compressor Dryer Overhaul
Front Fog Light Loom Repaired
Drivers Heated Seat Base Replaced

To do:
Remap 

Post #113436721st Jul 2013 10:26 pm
Crost

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I use a bluetooth adaptor that plugs into the Aux. No controls but as I listen to Internet radio its not a big issue. The Ashes have been great to drive to Surprised
 Mark

Remember its only an obsession....

Mods:
Original Beanie Narpy Grill, Black lettering, De-Tango'ed, Side steps, Hids LEDs upgrade, Halo DRL, Smoked side repeaters, D4 Bluetooth upgrade, Flacks magic with the fault mate, Upgraded D4 compressor, ERG's blanked, Tints, D4 rear lights, Short rails & cross bars, LR Ladder. Reversing camera (needs activating!!) 

Post #113437021st Jul 2013 10:29 pm
pmajor

Comc wrote:
Looks interesting. Just one thing tho. Your phone can only pair with one bluetooth device at a time, therefore it will not be able to do both calls through the car and music through the adapter at the same time?

Or is that not an issue for you?

No I don't like taking calls while I'm driving.

I do listen to music on every trip though!

I ordered a KitSound Air Dock. It should arrive by Wednessday.

I'll post again and let you guys know how it works.

Post #113442222nd Jul 2013 7:42 am
pmajor

The two bits I ordered (Land Rover Ipod adapter and the Air Dock) arrived today and I tried to use them to connect to the stereo. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I even tried to connect my Android phone via the usb port - this doesn't work either. Older Android phones used to mount as a USB drive, but newer phones mount use MTP (media transfer protocol), which the MY11 Disco doesn't support.

Hard to believe that a two year old car worth £47000 when new doesn't support bluetooth audio.

I guess it's either Parrot or give up Crying or Very sad

Post #113521123rd Jul 2013 8:21 pm
Crost

Please don not buy the Parrot.... its a jack of all trades and master of none. The first thing I did was sell it and get Flack to install bluetooth for my phone. It was such a distraction I saw an accident ahead.

I had one of these from my freelander

[url]http://tinyurl.com/l65t7ft

I use the Aux & power in the back of the arm rest and run the cable to the side of my seat/EPB. Once in the car (assuming devices are trusted for pairing) I just press the big button and it goes from red to blue and I then have audio. I use it with an iPod nana for podcasts and on my iPhone for streaming apps.

Best money I ever spent. Ok so the only steering wheel controls are only volume but it works.

[/url]
 Mark

Mods:
Original Beanie Narpy Grill, Black lettering, De-Tango'ed, Side steps, Hids LEDs upgrade, Halo DRL, Smoked side repeaters, D4 Bluetooth upgrade, Flacks magic with the fault mate, Upgraded D4 compressor, ERG's blanked, Tints, D4 rear lights, Short rails & cross bars, LR Ladder. Reversing camera (needs activating!!) 

Post #113521823rd Jul 2013 8:29 pm
Crost

why did the link not work?? I cant post image links either... such a noob Rolling with laughter
 Mark

Mods:

Post #113521923rd Jul 2013 8:30 pm
pmajor

Crost wrote:
Please don not buy the Parrot.... its a jack of all trades and master of none. The first thing I did was sell it and get Flack to install bluetooth for my phone. It was such a distraction I saw an accident ahead.

I had one of these from my freelander

[url]http://tinyurl.com/l65t7ft

I use the Aux & power in the back of the arm rest and run the cable to the side of my seat/EPB. Once in the car (assuming devices are trusted for pairing) I just press the big button and it goes from red to blue and I then have audio. I use it with an iPod nana for podcasts and on my iPhone for streaming apps.

Best money I ever spent. Ok so the only steering wheel controls are only volume but it works.

[/url]

Thanks for the link. I did see this in Halfords the other day. But I figured that if I have to use the 3.5mm jack, I might as well just plug it into the phone.

Can I ask why you use the Belkin BT adapter rather that just plug your phone in directly to the 3.5mm jack?

Regarding the error with the ipod adapter / airdock, when clicking on "ipod" menu it just came up with "device error" message.

I asked my mate at work about it - he's an iphone guru. He said it's probably because the original iphone docked as a usb drive when mounted, but that the more modern iphones use a new protocol that lets you FF, RW, view album art etc. He said the LR is probably expecting the old USB mount where the AirDock is using the newer more advanced protocol...

Post #113522923rd Jul 2013 8:43 pm
Crost

The bluetooth solution is just neater, the button is supposed to be the mic but I have no need for it. I also prefer the way it all connects. Its sit there and I dont need to plug wires in all the time and have them running around the car.

Can you get an older iPhone to test your mates theory?
 Mark

Mods:

Post #113524023rd Jul 2013 8:52 pm
Mambosasa

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

How difficult is it to add an additional Aux port towards the front? I am not sure whether this is common to all D4s, however I only have one port for the middle passengers.

Has anyone done this?
 D4 HSE all the way

Post #113792530th Jul 2013 10:15 am
Dirkcrisis

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

It struck me as odd when you said don't have Bluetooth music. I have a 61 plate D4 HSE and an iPhone 4S. I've just checked tonight and my OEM head unit streams Bluetooth audio (under My Music then Bluetooth).

Is there a difference in spec between the audio for the Landmark & HSE?

Post #113813530th Jul 2013 8:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >