Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

AdBlue limited shelf life.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
AdBlue limited shelf life.

Quote:
AdBlue deteriorates over time. Never use AdBlue after its expiry date has passed.

Unless you cover very high mileages, do not stockpile large quantities at home.

Ultra-violet light speeds-up AdBlue’s deterioration and this can damage your exhaust system’s delicate catalyst. Therefore, buying bottles that have been sitting outside a petrol forecourt may not be a good idea. Instead, look for bottles that have been stored indoors, or in the dark.

Don’t keep a half-empty container of AdBlue in your garage if you have some left over after topping up, as airborne contaminants can affect the chemical.

The shelf life of AdBlue as defined in the ISO 22241-3 standards.

At constant temperatures up to 30 deg C the product will last a minimum of 12 months; at constant temperatures up to 35 deg C the shelf life is reduced to a minimum of 6 months.

Store at between minus 6 °C and 25 °C to maximize the shelf life to 18 months.

The above come from a Google search done by a friend, which he sent to me seeing a bottle of AdBlue on a shelf in my garage. I couldn't tell him exactly when it was purchased but certainly more than 12 months ago - his reaction "Chuck it".

He also recommends emptying the AdBlue tank & refilling with "fresh" AdBlue as there is a risk of crystallisation. How do I do that please?

Here on in I'm inclined to top up at a filling station from time to time

https://www.novax.com.sg/novax-adblue/long...dblue-def/

NJSS

Post #228364815th Mar 2022 4:58 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Interesting and useful. Thanks for sharing. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #228366515th Mar 2022 6:38 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

We use large amounts and never had an issue . It needs to be stored out of direct sunlight
Crystallisation will not occur whilst in solution. There are so many myths and old wives tales around add blu.
WE use 1000 litre IBCs and have never seen a use before date on any of them.
Soon to become in short supply if you listen to supplier rumours.l

Post #228371215th Mar 2022 11:59 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

popsdosh - Many thanks

I'm inclined to think that if you use large amounts you won't be storing the AdBlue for long.

The bottle that I chucked didn't have a use by date on it.

I'm going to err on the safe side and drain the tank, if I can, before refilling with fresh fluid, anyone know how to do this please?

NJSS

Post #228375816th Mar 2022 10:23 am
qcnr

Norway 

Unless you can see crystallization. I wouldn't bother.

Post #228376716th Mar 2022 11:17 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

No need to drain the cars tank, we have trucks standing for months and sometimes all year with the same adblue in the tank, loads of other emission related issues but not the actual adblue itself.
We were told it has a shelf life of 6 mths in storage, why that does not relate to whats in the cars tank I have no idea?
I would be wary of draining the cars tank in case you cause other issues.

Post #228380116th Mar 2022 2:59 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Should you want to drain the Adblue tank.
Remove the spare wheel. remove the metal cover protecting the adblue plastic tank. There is a little rubber hose you can pull out, with a plug in the end. Squeeze the two press buttons & remove the plug draining into a container.
Dispose of responsibly, as it will kill plants & contaminate the ground.
Refill the adblue tank, but don't overfill, as it reads empty!

As long as you complete the drain & partial refill without switching the ignition on, you won't have any problems with regard resetting the display.

regards
Steve

Post #228380716th Mar 2022 3:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJSS

Many thanks Steve.

NJSS

Post #228381416th Mar 2022 4:08 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The Land Rover service checklist states that under low mileage conditions the ad blue tank should be drained after two years . Here is the item from the service checklist:
Quote:
Drain the DEF tank if the vehicle has covered less than 16,000 miles (26,000 km) in 2 years

My car was in this position at the second service so I asked about it. The service person I spoke with shrugged it off and said he had never heard of it. Typical .
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #228382916th Mar 2022 5:38 pm
NJSS

Thanks Gary - that's exactly my position. I normally do 10-12k miles per annum; because of Covid I have only done a little less than 10k miles in 24 months!

NJSS

Post #228383316th Mar 2022 5:55 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

I would suggest just top up by say, 5 litres when the top up warning comes on. There is no need to carry a full tank of adblue, just to drain it down every 2 years.
Even a low mileage car would get through 5 Litres in 2 years.
That way it will stay fresh.
The system measures the performance of the adblue by the Nox reading from the nox sensor. It will flag a adblue quality fault code if the adblue isn’t performing as it should.

So if you do low mileage, use up the adblue until the message appears, then just add 5 Ltrs until the message appears again.
Regards
Steve

Post #228384516th Mar 2022 6:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
Re: AdBlue limited shelf life.

NJSS wrote:
AdBlue deteriorates over time. Never use AdBlue after its expiry date has passed.

Unless you cover very high mileages, do not stockpile large quantities at home.

Ultra-violet light speeds-up AdBlue’s deterioration and this can damage your exhaust system’s delicate catalyst. Therefore, buying bottles that have been sitting outside a petrol forecourt may not be a good idea. Instead, look for bottles that have been stored indoors, or in the dark.

Don’t keep a half-empty container of AdBlue in your garage if you have some left over after topping up, as airborne contaminants can affect the chemical.

The shelf life of AdBlue as defined in the ISO 22241-3 standards.

At constant temperatures up to 30 deg C the product will last a minimum of 12 months; at constant temperatures up to 35 deg C the shelf life is reduced to a minimum of 6 months.

Store at between minus 6 °C and 25 °C to maximize the shelf life to 18 months.

Never realised Cow-Peas was such an unstable compound !

Post #228384916th Mar 2022 7:38 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

SteveNorman wrote:
Should you want to drain the Adblue tank.
Remove the spare wheel. remove the metal cover protecting the adblue plastic tank. There is a little rubber hose you can pull out, with a plug in the end. Squeeze the two press buttons & remove the plug draining into a container.
Dispose of responsibly, as it will kill plants & contaminate the ground.
Refill the adblue tank, but don't overfill, as it reads empty!

As long as you complete the drain & partial refill without switching the ignition on, you won't have any problems with regard resetting the display.

regards
Steve

Oh please its not concentrated enough to kill plants we use 4 times the strength as fertiliser as for contaminate the ground Rolling with laughter Another urban myth about that horrible stuff called Ad Blu along with it being corrosive ( It does damage some rubber seals if the wrong type of rubber).

Last edited by popsdosh on 16th Mar 2022 8:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #228385216th Mar 2022 7:51 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Well, I did a test by putting some on a small patch of our gravel car park. It was covered with grass & weeds. I poured adblue onto it, as I was curious, as the label didn't state hazardous.

It killed that area overnight & still hasn't fully recovered. That was about 4 months ago... So I would suggest don't use it as fertiliser Wink

Post #228385716th Mar 2022 7:58 pm
popsdosh

We use urea four times the strength all the time as fertiliser .

Post #228385816th Mar 2022 8:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >