Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Additional off road insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Inuit

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Additional off road insurance

I am currently iwth Admiral on a multicar policy - i would prefer to stay with them as no one can near with seperate premiums (we have a couple of high group cars) it will cost me about £400 a year based on 3 years no claims (which is on the car i am getting rid off) so thought that was quite good compared to Landrover who quoted me £647.

However, after reading a lot of these threads thought i better check re greenlaning and off roading. It was quite an interesting conversation explaining what greenlaning and off roading was, he had to get a manager, despite me explaining in simple words what going off road meant - even tried - it means driving across a field Rolling Eyes

Anyway i am not covered so i have to look at my options.

I am planning on doing quite a bit of green laning, camping etc, but as for true off road want to give it a go, but maybe only a few times a year, though may be driving across fields quite a bit for various activities.

i have a few options

1 - stick with admiral and get seperate off road - if i could get that for around £150 this would be my preferred option. Any good ideas where i can get this from.

2 - swap to landrover - but they quoted me £647

3 - not bother with the extra insurance. i am not keen on this, i track one of my other cars and would normally, depending on the event get track day insurance (but that is normally around £150 - £200 for a day, do not do it that much to go for an annual trlack policy) however, having a prang at 120mph plus tends to cause more damage than sliding into someone on a slippy bank. The other issue is if a person that does not have track insurance hits me unless he is a good guy then i could end up taking them to court to pay, presume off roading is the same, and also take into consideration my complete lack of experience, i am sure i could cause damage myself. So i would prefer to be insured for lots of reasons, even if it only for a few times a year.

I would like to clarify a few points - greenlaning is obviously done down legal highways and byways, has anyone had any issues with their standard insurer paying up on an accident on one of these? Also we go camping, never really thought about damage caused at a campsite or event that requires you parking in a field before as we have only ever taken the beaten up mpv.

Any way any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated, did not really think about insurance for off road until i started reading some of these threads.

Ann (only 17 hours to go before i pick the DISCO up)

Post #5970584th Feb 2010 8:44 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

£647 for LRI is pretty steep, I just renewed at £775 for two cars but that was with RSA, old LRIns, not new lot, BritInsure. Try Adrian Flux brokers, they do RSA stuff but no good to me as I need Tunisia cover, old LRIns does that but no-one else. AFAIK greenlanes covered, as for fields & campsites would have thought so like any other place you'd take your car to away from the public road. Unless someone knows different .....

PS most folks would think you are weird counting down hours to a new car, here it's quite normal! Thumbs Up

Post #5970654th Feb 2010 8:57 pm
Stevie D

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi,

Have you tried NFU Mutual. (National Farmers Union - they understand landrovers!!)

I have just insured a Defender I am buying for £310 per annum, (TD5 chipped to 180BHP) they gave me an introductory 8 years protected no claims as I had no 'no claims' to offer as this is a third car. I believe it covers greenlaning and offroad use or so they said on the phone.

I have yet to try and get a quote for D3 as not yet due.

You can either phone a national number or contact one of their local offices Smile

Steve

Post #5970814th Feb 2010 9:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco George

United Kingdom 

The cover from NFU Mutual is fantastic, but quite pricey. My D1 is fully comp and costs over £400 per year but greenlaning and non-competitive off-roading is included. Just had a quote for a D3 and it was over 700 quid. I asked them to price match Sure Term (590) but they don't do that, as their policies are so good that they aren't comparable to other insurers.

So - NFU Mutual cover is the best, but pricey!
 SWMBO's - '14 FL2 TD4 XS auto. SOLD.
Dingo - '99 Disco 2 V8 converted to 300 Tdi - chawton white. SOLD.
Sharky - '06 Disco 3 HSE - bonatti grey, with alpaca leather. SOLD.
George - '98 Disco 1 - willow green 300Tdi auto. A fantastic Land Rover. SOLD.
Pingu - '96 Defender 110 CSW - epsom green 300Tdi. Sadly turned out to be a lemon! GONE.[/color] 

Post #5970954th Feb 2010 9:35 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Inuit, you could always play one NFU against LRIns against Adrian Flux??

Post #5970994th Feb 2010 9:38 pm
Stevie D

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Aidrian Flux quoted me circa £440 for similar to NFU at £310

Post #5971024th Feb 2010 9:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Been with the NFU for the last couple of years, first year cost me £360 and this years cost £328!
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #5971084th Feb 2010 9:51 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Stevie D wrote:
they understand landrovers!!

But only rural ones Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5971734th Feb 2010 11:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >