DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Adjusting the Main Beam.. How?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gavwhite1972

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto BarossaDiscovery 4
Adjusting the Main Beam.. How?

Hi All
I am running a 2013 D4 TDV6 HSE... I have noticed my main beam is aiming pretty high which is causing a total whiteout in dense fog etc... even with no fog it seems to illuminate the trees either side of the road but does not have the forward reach I would expect.
I thought there would be a thumbwheel to adjust the beam hight but I don't seem to have one.
Having looked at the manual it says to go to the settings and use the headlight adjust option to select L/H or R/H driving and adjust the height but again I don't have that option in my menu.
Given it is a HSE model I am stunned that I can't even adjust the headlight height which is a basic function of much older and lesser cars.
Any advice if i am missing something obvious or it needs activating somehow?
I have tried putting the stalk central (with the light selector in auto) then pushing forward and back to centre to see if the 'A' appears next to the lights symbol but nothing.
So, to recap the 2 questions... do I have auto main beam at all? How do I adjust the main beam height regardless of auto main beam?
Many thanks.
 Many Thanks
Gavin White

2013 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
2011 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE (Now Sold)
2006 Discovery 3 2.7TDV SE (Now Sold)
2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE with LPG Conversion (Now Sold)
2002 Range Rover 4.0 V8 P38 (Now Sold) 

Post #231991723rd Dec 2022 8:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Ah the old high beam beautifully illuminating the trees rather than the road. Had same in my MY11 HSE. Utterly useless.

ISTR I’d have had to adjust the whole unit so would just give a puddle of light in front of the car when using dipped lights. Rolling Eyes

Post #231991823rd Dec 2022 8:21 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

No, you don't have auto high beam, yes, it's adjustable - firstly you need access to a beamsetter to get the correct 1.2 degrees fall-off. There are external adjusters on the headlamp assembly to set the intial height.
Have you checked your headlights and lamps are fitted correctly? Is the air suspension height correct? the lamps auto level based upon several factors, but the adjustment is based upon all four suspension height sensors in the main, with input from the accelerometer.
If it's only the high beam infill that is 'off' then there is an adjustment that is carried out during headlight assembly build but it's not easy to explain - if you take out the headlight assembly and look where the high beam infill lamps are fitted you'll see the adjustment screws around the lampholder, you need to clamp the unit level and have a supply to the lamp plus a calibration surface in front and some idea of where the focal point needs to be...

Post #231992023rd Dec 2022 8:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >