Page 3 of 3 <123
steve smith

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Tunnel every time Thumbs Up
 Steve  
Post #126069528th Mar 2014 7:46 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Might not need to. The outbound journey might scare her so much that wild horses will never get her in there again and we'll be back to Censored ferries Yawn
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #126200431st Mar 2014 8:33 am
DALEK

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Done both trips, first time by ferry then by chunnel, Chunnel every time!!! Why waste your time your money and the expense of being on the ship.

From Manchester it was quicker to go by chunnel.

Have a great trip
 D3 HSE ........................Gone!!!  
Post #126203231st Mar 2014 9:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rodneydisco3

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Portsmouth Caen every time, £270 return through Caravan Club with site booking. if you get the 2.45pm portsmouth boat you arrive 9.0'ish go to site in Ouesterham ask for canal pitch rest the night fresh for agood days drive. coming back same site catch 8.30 am ferry portsmouth just after 1pm ready to journey home, it extends the hooliday in many cases. Food on britany ferries isgood especially in the restaurant.

Boats are stablised these days.much better.

Hope it helps.

Ferry prices are much like air fares they change by the minute depending on demand, and how full the baot is at the time. The caravan club say they always offfer the ceapest fares. i find it so.
 Rodey L

2018 Discovery 5 3L HSE Idris silver and black
14MY liore Blue/Almond HSE (now with new custodian)
Discovery 3 09MY Gaulway Green/Almond (now with new custodian)
1933 MG J2
1934 MG PA
1935 MG PB 

Post #126203631st Mar 2014 10:20 am
markbrads

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I've done both since 2008 and there are benefits for and against both.

Personally I like the ferry as we are about 20 mins from Newhaven and tend to go at 23:00 so the kids go to sleep (I wish). I've got one of the TAGS as well as so when the wife's asleep (the whole journey) she doesn't have to get involved at the tolls...

Its a long drive and can be tiring. My suggestion is don't work the day before... and try and arrange a stop over on the way down. Coming back having been on holiday I tend to do the drive in one hit. Apart from that its great fun and even better if towing with a D3 Thumbs Up

Post #126204131st Mar 2014 10:33 am
den2013

Austria 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Agree tunnel every time, takes 12 hours from Austria to the tunnel overnight, get there and you have a nice walk to the toilet then back and your into the UK, we get the 7am crossing no problem, then a short 45min drive, then i can finally have a sleep, coming back the 8.30pm.
A bit of advice, if you have animals with you the French are arsey about the passports, make sure your vet writes really clearly, we got delayed for 4 hrs and 20 euros lighter to a French vet because they could not read it properly. While we were waiting we could see them doing it to a lot of other people as well. Think there could be something a bit fishy going on.
 2015 D4 HSE LUX Kaikoura Stone(sold)
2010 D4 S Commercial Santorini Black(SWMBO)(sold)
2014 Evoque Dynamic Kaikoura Stone (sold)
2013 Porsche Boxster S (Fun car)
2008 D3 HSE Java Black(sold) 

Post #126211331st Mar 2014 2:12 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

As with most things in life, I think 'it depends' - mostly on where you are starting from, and where you are going to.

In the case of the OP it clearly makes sense to use the Tunnel as they are based in SE London. However, for those of us who live more than 3 or 4 hrs away from the SE, or for whom Dover/Folkstone is not necessarily 'in line', then an overnight/long haul ferry allows us to take a sensible break mid-journey and can, in many cases, work out not that much more expensive.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #126212431st Mar 2014 2:57 pm
rockcrawler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Tunnel for me, the ferry has got too expensive and just not happy with the way they pack the cars in
 D3 Metropolis Bonatti Grey-Alpaca Leather-adaptive headlights-fridge-EGR blanking kit-Harmen Karden-Cruise-4x4 info enabled-Tinted Windows-Heated F&R Seats-Rosen rear Entertainment-LED'S everywhere -Smoked Side Repeaters-Rear Aircon-Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme-Puddle and Footwell Lamps-Stainless Steel Side Protection Tubes- NEW ASHTRAY ( thanks to dsd1036 )
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #126213431st Mar 2014 3:24 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

As we are heading to Brittany either way I go South then West... Whether I cross and do it in France or head down to Portsmouth then do it (and whether cost wise it is worth it) is the question really.

Suppose we could always grab a couple of hours in the tin tent on the way down if needed Smile
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #12650745th Apr 2014 5:07 pm
LHD

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

If we're going up north, we do a Hull ferry - last one was Zeebrugge but we've done Rotterdam as well. Overnight on the ferry gets you rested and keeps the Short One busy....plus we'd need a hotel and to pay UK diesel prices to "enjoy" the M20, M25, M11, M1, etc.

I'm coming over in summer on my own and am taking the DFDS ferry from Dunkirk to Dover. €33 or something.

Coming back I'm taking the Chunnel. Why? Well I asked the Short One does he want to go on a train in the car through a tunnel or on a boat with the car. He chose the Chunnel.

Nothing like putting a 4-year-old in charge Wink
 Discovery 3 Manual as PDF | Blackvue 500 | BAS Remap | Mates did South America in a Landie

Post #12653086th Apr 2014 8:34 am
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Dover Calais every time sit & relax aving a meal & then the journey begins av been as far down as Spain Rome all over France & off again in May Thumbs Up

Post #12653856th Apr 2014 12:14 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

LHD wrote:
Nothing like putting a 4-year-old in charge Wink

Remember it's good to be nice to him/her as he/she will be choosing your nursing home!! Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #12653876th Apr 2014 12:24 pm
Chris1969

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

We go over a couple of times a year to Normandy as we have a place there. Like Beanie, we go on the Ferry - Portsmouth to Caen. We get a discount so I think it's costing us £270 to go for Easter for 2 weeks.

The price does vary slightly based on which crossing you use and we always have a cabin, mainly because we have 2 little ones so it's good to have a base to leave things, have a sleep, throw up in peace Rolling with laughter (the crossings are not too bad normally to be honest). Food is ok on board but we tend to take a big bag full on board with us!! There is a bar and some entertainment for the kids so although its about 6.5 hours crossing, it goes quite quickly normally.

We have looked at the Chunnel but in terms of overall cost, there wasn't a great deal of difference in it for us but thats also considering fuel from home to Portsmouth... plus with the Ferry, at least you can have a chill and a sleep and keep the kids from getting very very bored!! (oldest is 5 so not even a film keeps him happy for that long!)

Thumbs Up
 .. still learning Surprised)

Isofix car seat, Isofix baby seat base, crushed carpet crisps, sticky leather seats (next to Isofix car seat), upgraded front rubber cup holder things, wired up USB charge and audio for my iphone, side steps, de-tango'd lights, H7 OSRAM Nighbreakers, LED side lights, LED reverse lights, clear repeaters, Narpy Grill... tools I don't know how to use.... yet.. 

Post #126768110th Apr 2014 1:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >