Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Advice please. Wheel Bearing or Diff replacement.....?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ordered a wheel bearing from Shukers as Nicks not in, but I nEed it asap. Being colleced tomorrow, so hope to have sorted by end of Saturday.
Managed to get Shukers to give me about 15% discount and I have no postage, so not too bad all in.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #66097615th Jun 2010 6:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Good stuff Ian ....
but you could've posted it on your 'wheel bearing wanted' thread. Rolling Eyes

would've saved me the hassle of racking my brain and typing a response. Confused
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #66098715th Jun 2010 6:49 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
oops....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #66099515th Jun 2010 7:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Fitted the Wheel Bearing tonight, took about 3-1/2 hours all in (half hour to jack the thing up onto my axel stands as I've got a car jack (must get a proper D3 sized Jack!)

Anyway, Bearing was a real bitch to get off, even with a big hub pulley thingy I borrowed from a neighbour, I had to give it some welly with a lump hammer!

Olds one seemed to me slightly grazing when turned in hand, but not what I would say worn from other cars bearing I've had worn down & replaced.

I'm really not sure if it's the same, or any worse or any better. Will take a proper trip out in it tomorrow to find out.......
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #66192318th Jun 2010 12:13 am
flinty99

England 

You maybe onto something here.

Over the past couple of months I have noticed more tyre noise on mine with both my part worn and new MTR's.

Given I have only run MTR's since September and up until recently the weather was not that good I came to my own conclusion its the tyres and its because the roads are so dry and the road temperature higher than what I experienced last year and over the winter.

Given I have had the wheel bearings, drive shaft and prop-shaft replaced since November that would only leave the transfer box and the dealers checked that out when they replaced the drive shaft a few weeks ago.

Probably totally wrong but it seems like a good theory to me given I have nothing else to explain it away it will do for now.
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #66195118th Jun 2010 8:25 am
bp

United Kingdom 

Bodsy just a thought but do you pass live close enough to any midlands club members who have had diff/ brg problems they might know what to listen for ?

Post #66201518th Jun 2010 12:11 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I had a Transfer Box replaced in the very early days of ownership.

So just to know what to look out for:
I thought I started hearing a road noise on certain tarmacs.
Had to turn radio off to hear it.
Asked swmbo, she didn't hear anything,
so I put it down to me just listening for something that wasn't there.
However as the mileage was increasing so was the noise.
Eventually it got that unbearable that it couldn't be driven.
Box was replaced under warranty.

So, if it is your transfer box, you'll eventually find out without doing further damage in the process.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #66201718th Jun 2010 12:23 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

So I might change the other wheel bearing (that I've just taken off) for the one on the passneger side & see if that makes a difference. I'd read on another post that it cured someone else's noise. Gotta be worth a shot I guess!
Also tried to get hold of some Diff oil today, Halfrauds don't sell the type needed, so I guess I'll have to see if LR dealer has some tomorrow.
Was going to drian the Diff oil & see if there's many remnants of diff in the oil.

Will let you know what happens.!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #66213418th Jun 2010 6:09 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

OK! Next stage in the saga......

Got some Diff Oil from Local LR (not enough time to get it cheaper from Oilman) also got some Special Transfer Box Oil (Yes, that's what it's called) for the Transfer Box. Also got two new filler/drain plug seals for the Transfer box as well.
Schedule says that Diff oils should be changed at 75k anyway, so just under 60k is only one service early.

An exciting! Fathers day was spent removing the other side Wheel Bearing and feeling no difference in that & the other old one I took off last week.
Test drive proved that there's nothing wrong with any of the wheel bearings! So at least I now have a spare wheel bearing just in case it fails at some point in the future or someone gets stuck without one!

So, onto the diffs as the next port of call...... Started with the front one first, drained the oil easily enough, although I had just bought a 14mm Hex socket specifically for the job, only to find out it was a 3/8 AF Square needed from MY07onwards.... Luckily I had an oil spanner that had the right bit on.
Still, needed the 8mm one for the filling hole (undid the filler before releasing the fluid).

I put a white sheet over the bucket I was using to drain the oil to try to spot and metal swarf in there. Really there appeared to be nothing of any significance.... Even the Magnetic drain plug had only a small ammount of gunk on it. I was expecting half the Diff to be there if it was the diff making the noise....

Filled back up with 610ml (ish) of finest Castrol XO fluid (remembering to put the Diff Drain plug back in first of course!

So, onto the Transfer Box...
This needed the 8mm Hex driver for both the fill and drain plugs. none of these plugs were magnetic in this instance, so no gunk collected. Again, I used a white sheet to see if there was excess swarf and again nothing..... The oil was a little darker than I'd expected, but that could have been simply the speed at which it came out and the lower light level when your underneath the D3!

Changed the filler & drain plug washer for new ones and the filled her up with 1.5litres of lovely smelling Special Oil.
Man that's a real bitch to fill up! I ended up putting some small pipe in the lid of the cleaned out XO bottle and then filling that with the special fluid. Then holding the bottle upside down and squeezing the fluid through the pipe into the transfer box. There's gotta be easier ways to do this cheaply!
Word of warning, it's quite harmful stuff, so i made sure I had some latex gloves on to keep it off my skin.

Then onto the rear diff.
Drained again with no noticeable swarf in the oil, BUT plenty on the drain plug....

I've wiped half off on this pic.

Is that a 'normal' ammount for a rear diff oil service?

So, now ALL the diff oils have been changed and both front bearings.

I also had a look at the rear driveshaft bearing as it has been suggested that it could also be that worn and causing the noise.

It is encased in a rubber mount which appeared to be intact, although I could push and pull the driveshaft in the mount a fair way (is this normal?)
Push

Pull (poor photo, sorry)

What test can I do next?
1) I don't have another set of road tyres to test with, although there is NO vibration coming through the steering wheel such as you'd normally expect if the wheels were not balanced.
1a) Actualy I have a set of RRS wheels on the Trailer, so I could (only for a test drive) put the RRS wheels on the front & see if that reduces the rumbling.
2) I now get an occasional knock from underneath which only manifested itself on Saturday (before I did the oils etc) and is in line with the whining noise & vibration felt through the car (vibration isn’t felt at the steering wheel at all.
3) further test can replicate or make it go quieter…. Along the dual carriageway or motorway at 70 MPH. I can let the car steer gently to the right and I hear the noise. I gently move the steering wheel a fraction to get the car coming back to the left and the noise goes until I have to move the steering wheel again (either further to the left or back to the right (these are only marginal left/right moves, so not big turning moves)

Any additional info/advice gratefully received
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #66299221st Jun 2010 2:16 pm
markhump

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Bodsy,
I'd be keen to find out what it was as I've got similar symptoms when turning right.....only when coasting off the throttle and sounds like I'm dragging a piece of metal! Also chaecked for stones in the calipers etc but no joy Sad
Like others have reported, I have some play, then none at all.
I'd be keen to hear how you get on?
Cheers,
Mark.

Post #66319421st Jun 2010 9:25 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Bodsy wrote:
...although there is NO vibration coming through the steering wheel such as you'd normally expect if the wheels were not balanced.

I had mine balanced today thanks to something 4-tech mentioned. I too had a whine on overrun that vanished with acceleration. I have no extra noise from turning however.

During the balance some of the wheels required 60g of weights, yet there was no steering vibration at all.

The whine at overrun has now all but gone...worth a £30 punt for a full rebalance?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #66325821st Jun 2010 11:43 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

A solution is in view perhaps.......

Borrowed a set of CG's spare wheels to see if it was my MTR's causing the rumbling noise.

Put Passenger rear wheel on, chekced for bearing play whilst I was at it and it's all well and hunky dory. Thumbs Up
Lifted the rear Drivers side & there's more play in the wheel than an Isner/Mahout tennis match!

So far, I have done Frint Wheel Bearing x 2
Diff Oils changed
Transfer Box Oils changed
CV joint just ordered from Nick (was going to do on Tuesday eve)
Wheels changed (well not in the end, but started to)

REAR drivers side wheel bearing is the final culprit.

Started to get concerned after speaking to DiscoDunc on Friday, so I now need to get a rear wheel bearing & find out if it's something I can do myself or if it's off to have someoe else take less care over the job than I would and then pay them for the privaledge!

Can't get the GTR info at the moment as they've changed the sign up (& it's now called TOXIc.... Rolling Eyes )

I know the bearings for the rear are much cheaper, but also speaking to DiscoDunc the other day, also think that they need to be pressed in by some heavy duty machinery!

Anyone have the info I need to hand? or who else has changed them?

Having now seen how much play there is I'm not planning on driving it anywhere unless I can help it!

Any info gratefully appreciated, PM or e-mail or here Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #66528327th Jun 2010 12:16 pm
wslr

Fronts come ready pressed into a hub which is nice. Rears don't. I've been looking at the special tool to pop the rear bearing out and insert the new one, but from SPX but that's likely to set me back about £600.

In the past, we've actually ended up forcing the old bearing out ( Embarassed I don't like doing it this way BTW) by a mixture of cutting through the bearing and hacking it off. Unfortunately, IIRC we ended up taking the rear suspension apart to make it easier.

Putting the bearing in was a mixture of heat on the the hub and leaving the bearing in the freezer overnight before fitting. All far from ideal. Crying or Very sad

TBH, it may be a good idea for forum members to contribute towards purchasing the SPX tool and rotating it to members as needed as it's only going to get more and more common a job. If anyone has any information about generic kits which do the job, please let me know.

Post #66536927th Jun 2010 6:44 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

It's all gone Quiet!

Well at least my rumbling noise has finally gone!

Rear wheel bearing replaced. It's not too difficult actually to get the rear wheel hub knuckle off, I'll be writing a guide to it later if it helps anyone?
I've now also got the extra pics I needed to go add the replacement of EPB shoes to my Bible.

Once the hub was off, rather than spend £600 on the special tool, I just took the knuckle to Roean Landrover in Telford who pressed the hub out and the old bearing and then replaced it with a new one for £25 (+ the bearing cost of course).

I got a set of EPB Brake shoes from DiscoDunc yesterday morning and then set about putting it all back together. Took my time (taking Photo's along the way) then had to pick people up & kids etc before doing the EPB shoes on the other side too.

Had a bit of a test drive last night, but the test was this morning along dual carriageway, where the only noise was the familiar MTR hum.

Took a while, but got there in the end! Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #6668301st Jul 2010 9:25 am
Spooky

United Kingdom 

Got a slight rumbling from mine now, most noticeable at about 30mph. I belive it's the NSF bearing, as it gets worse on roundabouts!
 Regards,
Mick

- 2014 SDV8 Autobiography
- 'Vincent' - 2010 TdV8 Vogue SE
- 'Molly' - 2005 HSE Auto
'Dixie'
- 2000 D2 Td5 ES

Post #6668571st Jul 2010 10:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >