Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Advice please. Wheel Bearing or Diff replacement.....?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mick, I had the same sound when turning left (didn't get the same soiund when turning right) , I too thought it was the front bearing or CV joint but as per my previous post, it was the rear O/S Shocked Shocked
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #6669541st Jul 2010 2:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
haroosh

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I have developed a slight rumble whine noise but only when turning left.
I had assumed one of the front whell bearings as I have never changed any in over 60k miles of ownership however reading through here I'm wondering if it may be one of the back wheels??
Got DiscoMikey coming to a service later in the month so just hope it doesn't suddenly get worse before then.

Post #13211106th Aug 2014 1:17 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Bodsy wrote:
Mick, I had the same sound when turning left (didn't get the same soiund when turning right) , I too thought it was the front bearing or CV joint but as per my previous post, it was the rear O/S Shocked Shocked

Interesting - I've started to get a whine (sometimes screech) noise and it seems most prevalent on roundabouts. Thinking it was the FNS wheel bearing, jacked front end up and checked both front wheels for play.

Nothing discernable in 12 / 6, only very slight play (probably track rod ends or spindles) in 9 / 3. No evidence of noise or roughness when rotating by hand either.

Perhaps I need to check the rears Rolling Eyes

Steve
Thumbs Up

Post #140759714th Jan 2015 12:56 pm
moorman

Wales 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've got a piece of kit with 5 microphones and lots of wire that connect said microphones to a box that also accepts a headphone set you place the microphones near to any potential noise source run the wires into the cab, plug in and go for a ride moving between each microphones in turn. Have used it to diagnose wheel bearing problems where the sound seemed to move around the car. There is a wireless version but not sure how good that kit is. Any uncertainty and this kit comes out, takes about 30 mins to fit on but you do get a result - start with a low volume as some bearing noise can really hurt the ears.

Post #140780514th Jan 2015 8:18 pm
Rich84

Australia 

If you're only getting a slight whine, there's a good chance you won't notice any play in the wheel. I've just done the rears in my A4 quattro at 305K km. These had been noisy for about 30K km with a kind of grinding noise/increased road noise. No play in the wheels, but upon taking the hub assy out of the car and spinning it, the noise was quite evident.

I've also just done the fronts in my brother's Volvo C70. That did have play in the wheels, but these were so bad that the car was almost undriveable - heavy vibration, greatly increased road noise, howling at 80km/h, brake shudder greatly increased.

My old Nissan, which my brother has been borrowing, is now totally undriveable because of the same thing. Basically it feels like the front NS wheel is about to fall off. I'm surprised it hasn't fallen off!

It can take a long time for them to degrade this far, but in the initial 'whiney' stage, I've never seen one have wheel movement, so unless you can reliably locate the faulty bearing it'd probably be fine to just keep driving it and let it develop a bit more.

On reliably tracing noises, what I always find to be a good method is to physically raise the vehicle and support it on stands with the wheels at least 3" off the ground (on the LR, under the LCAs is a good spot for the , then have someone drive the car at various speeds while you listen around the various fixtures for abnormal noises. Modern cars with traction controls will often have some kind of error because of one wheel inevitably spinning faster per axle, but it does still work! Have saved much $$$ this way!
 2008 RRS TDV6 - Chawton White/Black/Lined Oak - 20's, h/k, sunroof - 350K KM.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T S-Line - Phamtom Black/exclusive 2-tone valcona 184K
2000 Audi A4 avant 1.8t Q Sport - Phantom Black/black 385K KM
1990 Nissan Pintara TRX - red - lots of mods - 439K KM 

Post #140793614th Jan 2015 11:22 pm
BenjyP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
So....

Well coming home from work tonight the motorway was mostly bumper to bumper.... However, as I hit clear road and started to accelerate I could feel what felt like a gentle thud, thud thud, as if there was a flat spot.... Again at time only or more noticeable when turning left.... I could feel it through the floor but wasn't a huge vibration. As I left the motorway I wound down the window, I heard what I thought was chirping, but then various squeaks and a clunk, but only when turning left.... My first thought is wheel earring yet the clunk sound like an old propshaft UJ....

I'm planning on visiting the garage tomorrow but bracing myself for a big bill.....
 300TDI Toy... Now gone
2005 TDV6 HSE 

Post #140893616th Jan 2015 8:27 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have in the past used a infra red laser thermometer after driving the car for a while and pointing it at the hub to see the temperatures of the hub. The one with the defective bearing usually runs hotter.
It has helped me pinpoint or confirm my suspicion of which one.

Post #140926517th Jan 2015 1:01 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Jacked her up and checked all 4 wheels - no sign of any bearing play.

Now convinced noise is from the OS rear so took disc off and found the dreaded EPB shoe pins had corroded through.

Phew - not such an expensive job now !!

Steve
Thumbs Up

Post #141250722nd Jan 2015 7:45 pm
reyne111

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Bodsy wrote:

So.... I have the exact same problem except no change when turning it constant, its a real whine that has gotten worse over time. It used to be only 30 upwards but now starts from around 15.

changed the pads this afternoon as they needed doing and played with each wheel and couldn't feel any play in the wheels. Im petrified its a diff and a local Indie I had take a look thinks the same.

Bodsy I know you mentioned it was the OS rear hub but you couldnt feel any play either if I read rightly?

Driving me mad!

Post #198456918th Sep 2018 10:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >