Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Advice please. Wheel Bearing or Diff replacement.....?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Advice please. Wheel Bearing or Diff replacement.....?

Well I've had a whine for a while and it's been progressively getting worse. The 200 mile trip yesterday seems to have made it jump up a notch in sound level.

Here's a bit of the history.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that when turning left and doing about 20+ MPH, there was what sounded like a metallic grating noise. Straighten up and it was fine. I only heard it because I had the window down.

Checked for any stones in the brake caliper etc & all was OK.

Still had the grating noise turning left (not right) and it didn't seem to be getting any better or any worse.

Then I started to get a low whining noise. I thought it may be because my MTR's are wearing low (about 5mm left on them) but the increase yesterday from when I left in the morning to when I got home was noticeable, so the wheels are unlikely to have made that sudden increase in noise. There's no real vibration that can be felt other than the whining noise being heard.

the Whining noise is heard more when the car is coasting at speed of say 30-40 and then gets louder from there. Can was perfectly drivable at 70ish, just this louder than normal whine. The whine increases with speed and is not gear or engine based, so can only be drivetrain.

Today I jacked up all the wheels & checked for any excessive play in the wheel bearing as that was my next port of call for the noise. There's no noticeable movement. On other vehicles I've had where a wheel bearing has been worn, there has been some definate movement when you grab the wheel and move it up & down or side to side. Should I expect the same from the D3?

So IF it's not the wheel bearing, brakes are all sound and not sticking etc CV joints are all intact, I then move onto the next part, the Front Diff.
So, regarding the front diff....

Anyone changed one of these before?
I have all the GTR info on removing the halfshafts etc and it looks as though it can be removed from below.
Is it somethng that can be serviced easily or is it best to have a replacement complete unit? I've not used a gearbox reconditioning company since I had my old Mini! (1293GT on a Aplate mini Mayfair Laughing ) so perhaps easier for a Gen LR one (do they do Service Exchange units?)

So if it's not the Diff, then I can only guess that it would then be the Transfer box.....

So again, GTR makes it look relatively straight forward to remove & replace, anyone done it?

I think after all this, I know the potential parts that it could be, does anyone know of any specific tests or checks that I can try, in order to eliminate the potentially failing part, without me having to replace them all in turn or having to pay a dealer to diagnose.

Cheers all, any advice gratefully received. Thumbs Up

Ian
PS I'll be aiming to do the work myself as I'm a tight git, but not bad with a set of spanners (well not bad for an office waller that is....)
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #66000613th Jun 2010 6:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
flinty99

England 

The way you describe the grinding noise when turning left sounds like what I had when the Drive shaft failed a few weeks back, however the speed it degraded at to eventual failure was only a few miles (~30)

When I had the wheel bearing fail last week you could feel the vibration through the floor and you could hear the noise change when the wheel was hitting what seemed to be a flat spot.
The only way to confirm it was the wheel bearing was by lifting the wheel where you could clearly see the play, but given you have tried that, I guess its not the same Symptoms.

Sorry, not much help I know.

Ian
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #66002213th Jun 2010 7:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Well it confirms that there should be play in the wheel bearing as I thought Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #66002613th Jun 2010 7:07 pm
flinty99

England 

Any obvious noise when you rotate the wheel whilst lifted?
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #66002813th Jun 2010 7:10 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

I didn't lift both up at the same time Embarassed But that's another bit to try Tursday night (next chance I get to do anything)
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #66003413th Jun 2010 7:14 pm
Adigorn

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

i replaced front diff
reasonably easy indeed
how to check it?
well the easy way wchich give you idea whats the diff condition would be to check the diff oil
drain it and if u will find quite big metal fragnents together with rather silve discoloration of the oil
it will indicate the diff failure
brown or honey colour of oil do not exclude the diff as a suspect
howewer never seen dead diff with good oil in it Thumbs Up

Post #66005913th Jun 2010 7:57 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Hadn't thought of checking the oil... Embarassed
will get some for the weekend.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #66008713th Jun 2010 8:29 pm

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would say your indications are pretty consistent with what I had recently and that turned out to be left hand front wheel bearing. I could not feel any play in the bearing when wheel was off ground, and no definite noise when turning the wheel by hand (there is always some slight grinding from the brakes etc.)
I guess these indications would be coming in the next phase as the bearing proceeds to break down.

Post #66029814th Jun 2010 10:36 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Had a suspected rear diff noise on my old one ..LR assist sat in the back and said it was deffo the diff .

Took in in and they replaced the rear diff ...no different ..so they replaced the OSR wheel bearing ..still no different ..so the NSR one was replaced ...that cured it .

Think i would be changing the wheel bearing first as its the cheaper option to try .
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #66035114th Jun 2010 12:44 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Wiggs - Was there any noticeable amount of play in the wheel bearings before they were changed?
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #66036914th Jun 2010 1:12 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My front diff when it started to go produced a slight whirring noise that was only present with power off, as soon as you went on the throttle the noise went, turning corners made no difference.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #66037314th Jun 2010 1:28 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

PaulP wrote:
Wiggs - Was there any noticeable amount of play in the wheel bearings before they were changed?

I would imagine not as it took three attempts to find and rectify the fault Wink
 Faultmate MSV2 EXTREME
FOXWELL N624 Elite
Hantek 1008c Oscilloscope 

Post #66039314th Jun 2010 2:11 pm
wilsonmg

England 

I would say the wheel bearing.

When mine went they started to whine. Strange thing was, the play in the wheel was hit and miss, sometimes there was a bit of play, then 10 mins later none at all Confused

When it eventually went, the noise sounded like the wheels were falling off and I had about 5mm of play. 5 mins later though...no play... Shocked

I got both front changed and now all ok Thumbs Up
 Still miss my D3 Sad  
Post #66057314th Jun 2010 8:19 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Well I'm going to go with the Wheel bearing & see if that cures it. Not sure if LR have any & haven't had a chance to speak to Nick, but my local Britpart dealer says he has them in stock, so for times sake, I may just do that. Anyone any view on the Britpart bearings? I assume they're likely to be the same bearing supplier in reality?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #66059714th Jun 2010 8:40 pm
ron3005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Same thing happened to me front n/s no play had to spin wheel and heard the grating sound front wheel bearing Thumbs Up

Post #66096915th Jun 2010 6:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >