Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Air compressor/dryer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
andy.p

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Air compressor/dryer

Is it possible to remove the dryer unit to referb it without removing the compressor from the bracket, so as not to cut the pipes and then have to use pipe joiners so as to eliminate the chance of leaks from the connections?

Post #21578071st Jul 2020 8:36 am
bembo449

id say yes but the whole thing takes very little time to get off and you don't want to end up with sprinkles all over the floor when you take the cap off Laughing

Post #21579091st Jul 2020 2:40 pm
Jonmoore1970

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Yes, it is possible. I bought a new dryer for £15 on ebay.

Post #21579651st Jul 2020 5:02 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I used to service my D3 dryer around once every other year.

Take it off, pour the contents through a sieve to get rid of the dust then spread the balls out on a plate.

Microwave until they've gone from the horrible Tan colour back to that nice translucent Blue and all the moisture is out of them ready for another couple of years service.

Need to think about doing the same with my D4 as it's probably not been touched in the 5yrs since it was built.

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #21580241st Jul 2020 7:20 pm
andy.p

just whipped the cover off and its an AMK pump 2014 fitted, so Ive just ordered a new one from the bay with new relay and all the pipes and fittings for a very reasonable price, cant be bothered to pull it all down and strip it, quicker to replace it Very Happy Anyone need a repair kit for a hitachi dryer, beads and o rings etc at cost + postage?

Post #21582092nd Jul 2020 1:29 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

What price for the replacement unit? If its a cheap Chinese copy you'll be replacing it again within a year if not a few weeks. Desiccant and filter replacement is one of the easiest job's to do on a Discovery, and is cheap as chips. These AMK's are strong compressors and will last a long time if looked after. The aftermarket copies are complete rubbish.

Don't throw away your old AMK, I have a feeling you will need it again. Whistle
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #21582312nd Jul 2020 3:15 pm
andy.p

Don't worry I wont be throwing the old unit out will rebuild it and keep it as a spare, not sure if the new pump is a chinese copy as its coming from Glasgow with a 2 year warranty, at £175 all in we will see if it's any good! Think my unit must be a replacement one as there are pipe joiners on it and the label says 2014 on it, my car is a 2006 so its been done before I had it. just fed up with the dash telling me compressor over heated after only a few cycles up and down and compressor slow please wait.

Post #21582502nd Jul 2020 4:04 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Worth checking if the software was updated to suit the AMK compressor

Post #21583342nd Jul 2020 11:39 pm
andy.p

I assume it was updated when fitted, as the car came with full stealer history stamps in the service book right up to 2017 and then independant LR stamps after that, not had a problem or any warnings on dash until now and I have checked and cleared all the fault codes with my IID tool from when I got the car, I only noticed the slight sinking on n/s/f a few weeks ago but it is not every day even when left for a few days, only got the written warnings when I cycled the height 3 or 4 times and checked on IID. At no time has the red/orange light come on out of the blue, so got the O ring repair kit for the valve blocks (yet to fit) as is a known fault when the dryer starts to break down so will see if that cures the problem!
If the AMK replacement had not been updated on the car when fitted would it not have shown a fault right away?

Post #21583493rd Jul 2020 6:48 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

No, the software would not be flagged as a fault if it wasn't updated to AMK, and the compressor will run of the Hitachi software. The operating parameters are slightly different, eg compressor temp, gallery pressure, etc but I would assume it has already been done. You can check it with your IID and load the correct AMK from the tool if not already done. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #21584683rd Jul 2020 2:36 pm
andy.p

cheers for that info, the new compressor arrived this morning so will fit it over the weekend and also check the software is correct.
The lazy bu@@ers who fitted the AMK compressor did'nt change the firmware from Hitachi to AMK Rolling Eyes now done that,lets see if it makes a difference to the height on the n/s/f leg, I doubt it, still think it's the front valve block needs the new Orings fitting but hayho now I've got the compressor might as well fit it and check to see if the old one is knackered and if so referb it as a spare Laughing Laughing

Post #21584713rd Jul 2020 2:42 pm
andy.p

After changing the O rings on both the front valve block and the cross over valve block (in front of the compressor) found after removing the compressor that the large air pipe from compressor dryer not the small one to the valve block had rubbed through on the hand brake cable causing an air leak after the pipe joiner. A bit of heat shrink tubing and re routing the pipe has cured the problem, no more sinking on the n/s/f leg, and no more messages or faults on IID tool, re exhaust valve circuit, vehicle raising slowly. On the plus side the ride seams much firmer too.

Post #216089014th Jul 2020 12:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >