Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Air Con
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
asj968

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Air Con

What exactly is the difference between Air con and climate control?

When i have my controls set to the lowest, the air that blows out of the system does not seem that cold to me, particularly compared to my Freelander with the A/C button depressed.

Should the air be fridge like or is it normal to have to put the windows down when its hot? Shocked

Post #32525124th Jul 2008 7:38 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Air con is a way of cooling the air using refridgerant to absorb the heat from the car, climate control is the same thing, but it can sense the temperature in the car & keep cooling until that temp is reached & maintain it, thus you can stick it at 21 degreees & it should keep cabin temp at that, this is what your Disco should do.

With the minimum settings (cold) you should be getting approximatly 5 degrees C from the vents, which is quite icy cold.

I would get the system checked out.

Regards
Steve

Post #32525524th Jul 2008 7:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken

One of the worst thing any one can do with any form of aircon is to turn it off. As there is a lubricant in the gas which keeps the seals nice and tight stop the flow the seals over a period of time perish and the gas leaks out.

So remember Air Con is not just for Summer Rolling with laughter

Post #32526324th Jul 2008 8:33 am
asj968

Thanks for the advice

Anyone recommend anywhere near Eastbourne to look at it?

Post #32526624th Jul 2008 8:37 am
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Try Barrats in Ashford, great dealership, but please don't use Hunt grange in Tonbridge wells, if you do something else will need sorting after. Whistle

Post #32543224th Jul 2008 4:38 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Try Barrats in Ashford, great dealership, but please don't use Hunt grange in Tonbridge wells, if you do something else will need sorting after. Whistle

Post #32543324th Jul 2008 4:38 pm
asj968

I took it to Autowise in Polegate - they gassed it up and say there is a leak in the system towards the front of the engine bay - Looks like i am going on Hols to France on Saturday - Sans Air Con

Big Cry No Charge from Autowise though. Thumbs Up

Post #32543624th Jul 2008 4:57 pm
d3syd

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi guys,

Just noticed that my the left side of my climate control air cond has stopped putting out warm air (ie stuck on cold no matter what the temp setting is). Anyone had this problem and what was the fix?

Cheers
 '06 TDV6 SE AUTO BUCKINGHAM BLUE
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL
'08 BMW 135i Coupe Twin Turbo 

Post #3276611st Aug 2008 11:32 am
amnesia51

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
AIR CON

Hello,

I always have the impression that it is too much cold in the car and to have a little of warmth it is necessary to settle the temperature on 26°C in summer as in winter.

I think of a problem with the sensor.

Have you already had this problem?

Post #6684945th Jul 2010 5:16 pm
jamieg7762

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

My air con was doing the oppersite to what the dials were set to. i.e. when set to 18 they would blow out warmish air & when set to 24 they would blow out cold air.

Took to dealer who diagnosed air con temp sensor fault, approx £7 for part then labour & software upgrade. Managed to get it covered under warranty.

Now it works ok, but it depends on the inside car temp, so the dealer told me.

Post #6685895th Jul 2010 9:46 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: AIR CON

amnesia51 wrote:
Hello,

I always have the impression that it is too much cold in the car and to have a little of warmth it is necessary to settle the temperature on 26°C in summer as in winter.

I think of a problem with the sensor.

Have you already had this problem?

I think you need a foam pad on the sensor it was a LR fix early on in the D3 build. The sensor would think it is too hot without it. Do a search
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6686115th Jul 2010 11:03 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: Air Con

asj968 wrote:
What exactly is the difference between Air con and climate control?Shocked

Air Con - the simple system that is tagged on to the middle grade heating systems is just to put the refrigeration system on & off....the temperature control is crude to say the least

Climate Control....more costly is where the system is processor controlled...dial a temperature & it should give you this

neither system is instant & my opinion of the D£ HSE system is that it does do the task maybe a bit slower than some
it will on full auto with a realistic temperature set give you that.....by varying the nozzles the cold air is blown & at the fan speed dictated by the combination of what the system is being asked to do (similar temps on each side of D3)...its subtle rather that startlingly freezing cold

I always set the dash nozzles to blow up to the top of the screen...this way the cold air sinks down in a more natural not in you face way

& it does the whole car even if the rear system isn't switched on....with that on its a it of a beast it can get very cold & this isnt by being blown to death by a freezing wind

remember its processor controlled...so getting in setting temp to the lowest temperature & expecting arctic old wind may not happen as there is a processor & thermostats at work....

Oh the system has to have gas in it...mine leaked out over three & a half years ....a corroded pipe but this fixed system was back to its usual self...not as quick as a D2....but works OK

Ive used mine in the mid 30s & it maintained the car at 20 with no gales blowing...its climate control

My complaint is that in the very depths of winter it doesn't seem able to cope with windscreen unfreezing art speeds
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #6686165th Jul 2010 11:32 pm
amnesia51

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Re: AIR CON

caverD3 wrote:

I think you need a foam pad on the sensor it was a LR fix early on in the D3 build. The sensor would think it is too hot without it. Do a search

Thank you very much for your answer. I will do a search about it.
However to facilitate my searches can you say to me about wich sensor is it and its place in the car?

Post #6686326th Jul 2010 6:26 am
anglefire

England 

What annoys me about most climate control systems is when its used in the spring say, when the outside air temperature is below about 15'C - rather than bring in fresh air, they just whack on the AC and use that - when there is normally enough free cooling to do the job.

Its not a big cost, but never the less............
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #6686346th Jul 2010 6:57 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

TSB LA412-003 (foam 'sock')

The sensor is behind the little plastic grill to the left of the steering wheel (probably to the right of yours Rolling Eyes ) . All they did was to put some open cell foam over the sensor.

or could be:

TSB LA412-001 (reload climate software)

This thead might help:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic8698.html
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6686386th Jul 2010 7:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >