DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Air suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Trucks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Air suspension

Hi all
It's not a problem as such but my air suspension drops equally in all four corners,it could take a day or sometimes 2/3days and never are any of the corners unequal, so obviously there is an air leak but how can the leak be such that it equalises all for corners?{looks good sat low just like a low rider}
Makes no difference whether the car is loaded or just sat normally it goes down equally,but not down to the bump stops.
On start up and with driving there are no issues or bings.
Sometimes on start up the car rises ok but get the yellow light but I turn off the car then start it again the light stays off for weeks.{very very occasionally the light may come on}
As said it doesn't bother me as everything seems ok.
I do use the access mode for lowering quite often for use of a ramp to load the car and never had any issues with this either.
Another strange thing happens sometimes,if I lean on the bonnet for whatever reason the car suddenly drops an inch or so,this could be two or three days after parking in the drive,and no it's not coincidence as it's happened to many times.
Look forward to your views and remarks as usual.
Regards
Pete
 pete truckle  
Post #230768315th Sep 2022 6:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I do not think that the car being low all round is surprising as the car self levels down when parked. If you disable this leveling,by removing the fuse, you will probably find only 1 corner go down.
Regarding what happens when you lean on the car, it has recently been advised here that an air strut can stick up although deflated and then suddenly unstick and drop. If this happens the car will self level down.

All in, I think that you probably have a leak in an airbag or the pipe or valve associated with one.

Post #230768715th Sep 2022 7:56 am
Trucks

Thanks Ronald
I always thought that the car did lower itself and having argued that point since I have had the car to my range rover mate now a D4 owner {I convinced him}
That the car can settle on its own accord and has for the last 3.5 years I have had the car.
Good point on the sticking struts never thought of that,and agree there may be a small leak somewhere,that won't worry me for a while so I think I will let things continue as they are
Thanks
Pete
 pete truckle  
Post #230769115th Sep 2022 8:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
motorworks

One problem with ignoring an air leak is that the air compressor has more work to compensate. If the leak gets worse you can easily reach the point where the compressor fails from overload, and you still have to fix the leak. Sod's law says this is likely to happen at a very inconvenient time. Smile
 Chris  
Post #230792317th Sep 2022 5:17 pm
Trucks

Thanks motorworks
I agree and I have it in mind,I am unable to do a search and fix myself as not fit enough to crawl around,but I have a guy coming to service the car at home tomorrow so I will get him to have a look around the car if he has time.
As you know location of the leak is the biggest headache.
I just hope it's not the air tank itself
Regards
 pete truckle  
Post #230793317th Sep 2022 7:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >