Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How To - Air Suspension Compressor replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
How To - Air Suspension Compressor replacement

Air Suspension Compressor replacement. Also pretty similar for replacing the compressor bracket, as the compressor needs to be dropped anyway

Fault code stored was C1A20, pressure not rising quick enough (pretty much, cant remember the exact description). After checking the pipework, and reservoir tank etc for leaks, all was OK, and compressor was found to be at fault

Apologies for the poor quality pictures. I am currently between phones

Before starting, buy 3 of these

Click image to enlarge

The captive clips/nuts will probably disintegrate upon removal, like this...

Click image to enlarge

Start by removing lower cover, which is held on by 3 bolts. One at the front, one at the rear, and one in the bottom of the cover, as pictured

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next, spray some pentrating oil onto these pipes. They are the intake and exhaust pipes for the compressor. Chances are the "quick release" olives will be well seized in, but more of that later... The brass collar needs to be pushed inwards, which should release the pipe, and it can be pulled out. If they are seized, the pipes will have to be cut, and rejoined later

Click image to enlarge

Remove the pipe into the blue union on the dryer. This one will be quick release, again push in the union, and pull the pipe out. There will be a bit of air pressure released when this pipe is pulled out

Click image to enlarge

Disconnect the 2 electrical connectors, and remove the 2 lower bolts, that you can just about make out here.

Click image to enlarge

The top bolt is very awkward to get at. You need just the right length of extension to get onto the bolt head. It is directly above the left hand lower bolt, roughly here

Click image to enlarge

And as seen with the compressor off, for reference

Click image to enlarge

Once the last bolt is out, the compressor can be removed. It is held onto the alloy bracket with 3 bolts, all 4mm allen key headed bolts. There is also a small rubber bush to be removed from the old compressor, and swapped onto the new one. Fit new compressor into the bracket

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

If you did have to cut the pipes, as I had to with this one, The old pipes need to removed, as there is a brass insert in each pipe, which needs to be swapped into the new air pipe. Pipe sizes are 8mm, and 10mm. There are various ways to get the pipes out, but i cut the casings open as far as I dared with a grinder, and burst the casing open with a chisel

Click image to enlarge

I cut the old plastic pipes, and removed the brass inserts. I had to heat the new pipes to allow the brass inserts to fit inside the pipes, then check for correct fitment.

Click image to enlarge

Hold compressor against the chassis, and cut the pipes to the required length. I used a pair of speedfit connectors to rejoin the cut pipes, but I cant find anything online that looks like what I used. When I do find it, i will update this thread Smile You can just about make out the connectors on the R/H of the picture

Click image to enlarge

To re-fit, hold the compressor roughly in place, and start the top bolt first. You can just about see what you are doing. A third hand is pretty handy here, also. Once the bolt is started by a few threads, fit the bottom 2 bolts and tighten up, making sure you are not trapping any pipes/wires behind the compressor bracket, then tighten up the top bolt.

Click image to enlarge

Refit electrical connectors, air intake + exhaust pipes, small pipe into the blue union on the dryer, and bottom cover. Clear faults if you have a code reader, though if you dont, the light will go off anyway once the car is started up, just the fault will still be stored in the suspension ECU memory Smile

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Last edited by Disco_Mikey on 3rd Feb 2014 7:40 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #81911520th Jul 2011 6:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Great write up ... not trying to teach you your job ... But had you not best warn of pressurised pipes ? Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #81913120th Jul 2011 7:02 pm
Disco_Mikey

Nah, just a little puff Laughing

Just edited. There was no pressure in this one, and I forgot all about it Embarassed
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #81913320th Jul 2011 7:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

thats no way to speak about Wiggs Shocked
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #81913620th Jul 2011 7:09 pm
geoff.

England 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Nah, just a little puff

someone else knows you quite well wiggs Rolling with laughter

Post #81913820th Jul 2011 7:11 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thank Mike, link added to the Wiki Thumbs Up
 The End  
Post #81923421st Jul 2011 6:39 am
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Another great write-up Mike, many thanks Bow down Thumbs Up
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #81932421st Jul 2011 11:29 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mike thanks very much Thumbs Up you saved me a lot of time

I used your guide last night to remove and update the compressor on the wife's RRS with a new dryer and exhaust valve kit. Exactly the same process a the D3. Luckily there was very little corrosion, so I got both the big air lines out fairly easily after a spray of Q20. Emptied the air tank and filled it up again afterward with the MSV2 - what a pleasure.

The ironic part is, I bought the new dryer cos I had a small leak at the blue connector. So assuming it was the receptacle and not the air line, I fit a new dryer, fit the new spring and valve and O rings etc. put the assembly back (that top bolt is a b Censored d !) and the leak is still there Big Cry

So I cut the little bent black pipe and joined it with a speedfit connector to lengthen it, remade the end that goes into the blue receptacle and the job seems to be a good-un.
I am gonna try source a new part from LR just for peace of mind, but the repair will do for now.
Anyway, at least the missus has a cleaned-up compressor now.

Post #82506812th Aug 2011 4:30 am
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Don't forget to replace the relay (part no. YWB500220) and update the ECU (ref LTB00331 and LTB00270).

Post #82528712th Aug 2011 7:01 pm
Disco_Mikey

The relay comes in the box with the compressor now Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #82529412th Aug 2011 7:13 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Baben what's the part number for Spring/valve kit please, Disco_mickey have you used the kit much?
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #82531712th Aug 2011 8:05 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Q thanks for the reminder. Wil do software and relay today.

Part for spring/valve kit LR020590
part for dryer UUB504700

Post #82537913th Aug 2011 5:01 am
pigmy

Orange / Blue pipe connectors

Hi back again to forum after a lengthy time away but glad to see its still going strong with plenty of good input & advice from the regulars !
Back to the old age subject of the compressor fault , put car into access level then it won't return to normal height saying suspension fault etc etc
Took a long look at the various input on the forum & decided to take a look thinking the worst . Remove cover plate & find problem straight away the pipe with the orange marker has come out , refit pipe start car compressor sounds then pop it blows out again ?
Is this a common problem ? can the pushfit fitting with orange marker only be replaced ? or is it a replacement dryer unit in whole ?
Any advice is good Very Happy , thanks

Post #83395111th Sep 2011 6:33 pm
Lundoz

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nice!! Just got my D3 back from the dealer today after a towbar change.
After starting the car I could hear a dark humming sound cfor about 30 sec. Thats the compressor right? I went back to the dealer. They said that the sound is very lound and comes and goes every 2-3 min for about 40-60 sec.

They said that thet needed to check the bracket for cracks?? or could it just be a plugg that's fallen out?
Should your seat shake everytime the compressor starts? It sounds like a tank starts everytime the compressor starts Smile Damn loud!!

Post #83715820th Sep 2011 2:42 pm
thorgal

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Now , that I just renew my compressor ( thanks to encouragement from fellow members), i wanted to ask you about one item , that I stubbled across.Wen i removed the compressor , i took off this tiny wire with loops on both ends, that was attached to dryer-s base to metal assembly . t did not installed it back as I thought, that it is not really necessary, since new dryie rfits tight and it is also secured be small screw to the rest of the compressor housing.My question is , Is this piece really necessery?

Post #8675906th Dec 2011 2:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >