Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Air suspension fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Dadof3

United Kingdom 

Have PM'd LazyDave and had a response, but now unable to visit due to the current situation.
Now looking into spending some money. Do i spend on new pump or Diagnosis tool. Is there a way to confirm if the pump is up to the job without diagnostics, as it does generate air, just not sure if its enough. The pump has a label showing it was manufactured in 2015, so isnt all that old.

Post #213116324th Mar 2020 10:31 am
Ruper

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Maya GoldLR3
Knowing what I know now

If it were me I would get a air pump rebuild kit, available from various places and rebuild the pump. Then invest the money in a diagnostic tool, that will serve you for the life of your truck. If the pump is running it means that if functions mechanically, and I would guess the seal/rebuild kit would fix anything wrong there, or most things.
This would require confidence in your own mechanic ability. I spent many dollars parts switching, where if i'd had a good diagnostic tool to begin with I would have invested those dollars more intelligently.
 2005 Land Rover D3, 4.4L V8, Maya Gold Metallic
1966 Scout 800, 196 cu.in.
1975 Scout II, 392 cu.in. 

Post #213128424th Mar 2020 2:13 pm
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I had problems with my AMK recently, the shuttle valve (exhaust valve) was physically stuck in its housing it had corrosion on the smaller diameter end of the shuttle I cleaned it up resealed it and cleaned out the old white grease and used silicone grease works a treat now. I replaced desiccant whilst at it of course.

Post #213142224th Mar 2020 9:46 pm
Dadof3

United Kingdom 

I have already replaced the dessicant and the o rings that came with it. Is there another repair kit that can be got for the amk.

Post #213146225th Mar 2020 3:57 am
sputnixb51

You can get a kit that includes three more “O” rings to service the exhaust valve and housing, if you haven’t already done this the cap of the housing is push and turn on a bayonet , inside is a strongish spring and an alloy valve (shuttle) there are two ports that you need to make sure aren’t clogged with the original white grease. There is an excellent video of how to do this on the companies website. I’ll try and find the link again if I see you haven’t already done this.

Post #213151225th Mar 2020 10:58 am
Dadof3

United Kingdom 

Do you mean the solenoid in the side of the drier, as I have also replaced this and the o rings that it needed.
I have now ordered an icarsoft lr v2 tool. Hopefully will narrow down the problem.

Post #213152725th Mar 2020 12:02 pm
sputnixb51

Ño the bits that are inside the housing that the solenoid controls. The solenoid is mounted on the side of another tube attached to the drier part this has an end cap on it which comes off by pushing it in and turning it about a quarter of a turn inside is a spring like a strong biro spring rather than the big spring on the drier unit also there is an alloy shuttle valve with “O” rings on it and a tapered rubber bit that closes off the vent port or opens it by action of the solenoid making it shuttle in doing so it also controls the pressure in the system if it’s stuck (the shuttle) it gives the same problem as a failed drier. Hope that helps better ?

Post #213161125th Mar 2020 4:54 pm
Dadof3

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the info sputnix. But we're you able to find any links on how to dissamble the AMK, or a link to the repair kit. I would like to drop the pump off again before the test tool arrives and have a look if anything obvious, would it go back together successfully without the repair kit.

I am hoping that the test tool will arrive today, so may well wait until I have looked at the live data before taking the pump apart,

Post #213177826th Mar 2020 10:18 am
sputnixb51

4x4 air seals is the place to look they have a website and EBay shop. It is a very easy job you wouldn’t need to remove the air dryer from the compressor just do as I explained before, use long nose pliers to see if the alloy shuttle is stuck if it is then you would need the extra seals if it isn’t clean the internal Body of the white grease and re lubricate with silicone grease not too heavily. There are videos of how to do it. If your on Facebook use the search box for 4x4 airseals it comes up with a video of the AMK service and their kits.

Post #213180726th Mar 2020 11:23 am
Dadof3

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the explanation, so I have removed the shuttle and cleaned it all out regreased and put back together. Still hasn't worked. So could you explain how much should the shuttle move. It was easy enough to remove and refit, but can't see if It is doing what it should be doing when in use. I also couldn't find any videos regarding the shuttle, only the one for replacing the dessicant granules. There are other videos for the hitachi pump..

Anyway test tool didn't turn up today so hopefully tomorrow.

Post #213201026th Mar 2020 10:30 pm
sputnixb51

That’s a real shame. the shuttle just opens and shuts off the exhaust port with the rubber tapered bit on the small end the two little ports do this by the solenoid operation creating differential pressure across the larger part of the shuttle the spring helps return it to the shut position, when it opens to exhaust that’s when you hear the quite loud blast of air discharging . If you don’t have a blast of air when it’s re levelling then it’s not working well.

Post #213201726th Mar 2020 11:25 pm
Dadof3

United Kingdom 

The diagnostics tool has eventually turned up today. Have had a play with the live data and can see the gallery pressure goes up to 284, it then seems to slowly decrease and gives the c1a20 error. What else should I look at on the live data

Post #213310830th Mar 2020 5:40 pm
Dadof3

United Kingdom 

Eventually the suspension works, thought it best to post the solution. I could not see anything wrong with any component , so I bought a new pump, and now it goes up and down better than ever.. not 100% sure if there are any leaks, but will test over the next few days and weeks. But for now I am really happy Very Happy

Thanks for the help and guidance

Post #21345673rd Apr 2020 8:55 pm
sputnixb51

Glad you have it sorted. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #21346153rd Apr 2020 11:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >