DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Air Suspension...is it working?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jr_Disco4XS

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Air Suspension...is it working?

Hi All:

Posted a question with regards oil in the air filter but also have another question. The D4 went into the stealers a few weeks ago after hearing a squealing sound from the front wheels (think near side). Noise was quite loud, enough to hear over the radio but once in at the dealers was never heard again. I've got the car back now and haven't heard a thing since.

This weekend took the kids and the Missus out and she commented how bumpy the ride seemed and noticed every pothole or bump in the road. I then tuned into this and agreed it didn't seem right. Even took her Renault Espace for a spin along the same stretch of road and it seemed quieter!

When I last collected it from the stealer he did say on the way out of the door the sqealing noise could have been a pump or motor on it's way out associated with the air suspension? (WTF didn't he check that??)

I think I upset the service manager because they asked if one of their technicians could take the car home for the evening to give it a good run but I said I wasn't keen on this? Is that unreasonable?

Obviously with that lingering comment about an air suspension pump and the observations this weekend I'm suspecting something isn't right. Could anybody advise as to some simple checks I could do to eliminate or identify this as being a problem. I would drive it to the stealers but to be honest but I'd rather be a bit more certain if there is a problem before being labelled as some paranoid owner.

Again appreciate any help.

Post #77945728th Mar 2011 11:33 am
mickyd4

United Kingdom 

It might have been an idea to let a technician take it home to investigate, then you can have a diagnosis quicker, then the fix to the problem!

Last edited by mickyd4 on 15th May 2011 9:27 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #77946728th Mar 2011 12:07 pm
jr_Disco4XS

I've tried the basics of raising and lowering the ride height but does that confirm that all is well? Does the air suspension have a separate air compressor which if goosed would effect the smoothness of the ride?

Apologies for being a bit clueless....I spent the brass on a 'good' car so I didn't need to worry about things like this.

Anybody have some useful guidance?

Post #77958228th Mar 2011 6:25 pm
WelshDisco

Wales 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I had a D3 and my compressor 'packed up', when this happened the car was all but un-driveable! I always lowered my D3 and now my D4 to access height when I get out of the car. Does your car lower and raise when you select the various options? Let me tell you if its not working you will have the ride from hell, when I drove mine to the garage to have it replaced I could go no faster than 40 mph and it was all I could do to keep it on the road!

Take it back to the stealers and insist on a courtesy car and tell them to keep it until its been fixed.
 2010/60 Discovery 4 XS Zermatt Silver - Privacy Glass, Timed Climate (with remote), Voice, 4x4 screen, Bong on lock/un-lock (Pete BellAutos)
Discovery TDV6 SE (06) Gone!
Military 90 (1986) gone but not fogotten!
TV Option (Thanks to Wiggs)
Parrot CK3100 

Post #77959128th Mar 2011 6:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jr_Disco4XS

Hi:

Yes it raises and lowers OK, from what your saying that rules out the compressor not working.

Can't understand why it doesn't feel smoother. When it was new it hummed along, could hardly hear the engine. Is this just the 'new car feeling'.

Does the compressor have a filter? I use it a bit off road working on windfarms which can be pretty dusty places.

Post #77959928th Mar 2011 6:47 pm
TwelveSticks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Have you checked your tyre pressures? Maybe some YTS-er at the Stealers over-inflated 'em?
 2001 D2 GS (I must be mad!)
2005 D3 S 10-12 (gone and missed) 

Post #77960528th Mar 2011 7:05 pm
mickyd4

United Kingdom 

Yes that Could explain high pitched noise too! And not to mention ride quality.

Dont think the dust will be an issue! After all these machines are built to take on deserts and that!
I think if there was a MAJOR fault regarding suspension on the message centre! Such as a broken compressor or motor. And if it didn't tell you what the problem was it would at least say "access height or offroad height unavailable and not let you raise/lower vehicle! Shocked

Post #77961128th Mar 2011 7:18 pm
jr_Disco4XS

OK I'll check the tyres.

just been out playing with the raise and lower....selecting off road height seems to take quite some time 30 seconds before it settles down....?

I'll have another look in a bit. Has anybody got any pointers that might help diagnose a problem (or not).

Cheers

Post #77961328th Mar 2011 7:24 pm
raadar

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

JR

I have a suggestion. Bite the bullet and make the vehicle available to the dealer for a professional assessment. You cannot avail yourself of their expertise if you don't give sufficient access for them to diagnose the problem......or can they not be trusted in their profession (in which case find a dealer who can be). In the meantime you may be doing more damage to your vehicle by not attending to the problem than you perceive they might do by...what exactly??

regard...............frank
 my10D4se3Ltdv6 current
my08RRStdv8 sold
my07RRStdv8 sold 

Post #77971728th Mar 2011 11:58 pm
jr_Disco4XS

Hi Frank:

Thanks for the feedback, your right I'm calling the dealers this morning to book it in for an assessment.

Cheers

Post #77975029th Mar 2011 9:20 am
fmb123

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I always worry when they say can the technician take your car home, but you have to remember these same technicians have driven hundreds of cars all the way up to top of the line RRovers. And you are completely protected if anything did go wrong.

It gives the technicians a chance to have a good drive of the vehicle, then he drives it back in the morning when the engine is cold, so he gets to experience the car a a range of temps and replicates day to day running that you would be doing at home. it is very easy to notice the problem when you are driving the car every day, but much harder for them!

But know how you feel was very worried first time i was asked!

f

Post #77980229th Mar 2011 11:55 am
jr_Disco4XS

Yep fair point. The only concern I have is knowing where the vehicle is being kept overnight. Living in Scotland there are plenty of beautiful places...and plenty of not so nice places.

Will get her in this week and see what is said.

Cheers

Post #77980929th Mar 2011 12:09 pm
VanTheNewMan

United Kingdom 

Jr. May I please ask?... Did you locate the source of your rough ride?

Mine went like that but everyone says Discos have a firm ride??!!!... It wasn't like that when I bought mine yet no warning lights, no noises, all Air Suspension settings, raising and lowering works but just feels like I'm being kicked up the backside when I drive it on Tarmac!

Post #78650215th Apr 2011 9:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >