DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Air suspension and tyre change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kali

Australia 
Air suspension and tyre change

Hoping someone can help - Disco 4 2015 SV6 Australia

Trying to change a wheel, have tried literally EVERYTHING off road height, access height, access height locked tailgate open, tailgate closed closed, car on, car off, stand on one foot, kneel, pray, cry

NOTHING will stop the wheel from continuing to drop and without a trolley jack I can't see how one is supposed to get a wheel on and off??

Manual says 'select off road height" well I did that but wheel still drops. Car self levels anyway when you switch engine off

Is there some sweet little trick I'm missing that only the inside club knows ? Is there? Please let there be one!!! Bow down

Post #237163522nd Jun 2024 7:18 am
LRD4GAB

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Put a jack under the lower arm Very Happy

Post #237163722nd Jun 2024 8:41 am
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

The air suspension is just a rubber bag to all intents so it will expand to its maximum when the load comes off it. The wheel change kit supplied with the vehicle should be able to lift it far enough to get the wheel off the ground. If it doesn't is it the right jack?

In theory if the suspension is at its lowest the anti roll bar being attached to the opposite wheel will limit the travel of the wheel you are removing. In practing using a jack at the front jacking point tends to lift the other side to some degree as the chassis is so rigid. The jack is not intended to lift the entire side of the vehicle and is considered unsafe for any other use.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #237164122nd Jun 2024 8:56 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

This is what I normally do on mine , raise the suspension to off road height , slightly undo the wheel nuts before lifting it off the ground

Then within the engines fuse box I remove fuse F26

With the trolly jack I raise it until the tyre is clear from the ground , place an axle stand underneath , remove wheel nuts then remove the tyre

Then when u put the wheel and nuts back on, remove the axle stand , lower the vehicle to the ground , remove jack,

Do the wheel nuts up using a torque wrench , lastly be very careful as when u reinsert the fuse the landy will drop fairly quickly , after you’ve started the engine , push the raise lever and allow it to then raise back to its normal ride height

Hope that also helps u

Ps, please try and get a bottle jack instead of using the factory supplied scissor jack as they can be extremly dangerous of the Land Rover falling off the scissor jack

Post #237164522nd Jun 2024 9:57 am
HairyFool

His post points out he doesn’t have a trolley jack.
Post #237164822nd Jun 2024 10:51 am
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

I took some tips from this guy: ?si=iHCCwEivlXB-D4Ut
Specifically, I carry 2 short pieces of 2X4 in the back.
One of them is used under the temporary jack to ensure lifting height is sufficient in all kinds of terrain and as a safety measure to provide friction and footprint with the ground. The other, under the vehicle to attain “super, super extended mode”
At the Land Rover Experience, in Manchester, CT, US, I was directed by a LR approved senior instructor on how to get to “super”, automatically, by attempting to lower the vehicle with a height obstruction in the way. And presto, vehicle auto-corrects to super, super.
I don’t need to touch the fuses.

Cheers.
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Post #237167422nd Jun 2024 3:20 pm
gstuart

HairyFool wrote:
His post points out he doesn’t have a trolley jack.

Many thks for the heads up , That will teach me not to notice that glaring thing about the trolley jack

I’ll go and stand in the corner 🤣🤣

Post #237169322nd Jun 2024 6:53 pm
HairyFool

More than once I would have to join you Embarassed

The only issue with super extended mode is it just takes it to closer to the fully extended length when jacked up. As a safety issue putting the side jack on some form of riser to increase the lift is in itself risky and used with caution. I am still a bit confused as to why the wheel change kit jack can't lift enough to get the wheel off the ground, that rather defeats it objective. As I have never tried it I can't comment further.

I stress the safety of using side jacks from bitter experience.

One of my workmates used to be a bit of pain because if procedures required use of lifting gear he would insist on using it, even when borderline and most of us would shoulder it he would want a crane.

We were called into the office one day to be told he wouldn't be returning to work. It turned out he had been working on his car at home and the jack gave way and the car collapsed on top of him. What was particularly horrific was he was not killed there and then, the inquest found that he was actually axphyxiated due to being unable to breath properly and could have taken up to 2 hours to die.

Anybody who is tempted to do a quick job with the side jack other than replacing a wheel... DON'T DO IT
Post #237170122nd Jun 2024 11:07 pm
gstuart

OMG mate that’s a terrible way to go , really sorry to hear that Big Cry , assume that’s similar to being in a crowd crush where people can get crushed and not able to breath

Have heard of some horror stories where the scissor jack has gone forward and vehicle has fallen onto people shins snapping there leg and requiring multiple surgeries

Must confess the only time I use the scissor jack is to push the strut up at the bottom to get the large bolt back in or to hold the strut up for the top nuts , but that’s only with the support of a trolly jack and axle stands,

Did wonder if talking it to super extended if it may cause the air bags to fail seeing there not normally raised to that height

Have a disco 2 bottle jack for the D3

Post #237170422nd Jun 2024 11:49 pm
Kali

Australia 

Thankyou everyone for the tips - I was just making sure I could get the wheel off at home in case I got a flat on my trip - so unfortunately won't have access on the side of a dirt road in the middle of nowhere ( this is Australia.. literally middle of nowhere)to trolley jacks, abswings, forklifts or other such necessary gear to change a flat tyre on a Disco Confused

I did already swap out the scissor jack supplied with a decent bottle jack - I guess the only option when travelling is to stick it under the swing arm - exactly what the manual says not to do - but hey ho Rolling Eyes

Thanks again

Post #237170923rd Jun 2024 5:09 am
garrycol

Australia 

The whole aim of going to offroad height is to minimise the amount of lifting you have to do. With the standard jack (which is very unsafe) you go to offroad height then put the jack under the jack point nearest the wheel and then jack up until the suspension extends and the wheel comes off the ground - instead of 30mins jacking it only takes 10mins.

It sounds as if you have replaced the standard jack with one that does not have the lifting range of the original. You need to get a higher lifting aftermarket jack.

With respect to lifting under the suspension arms - yes does work but is not as safe as using the positions under the chassis.

Get a jack with the correct height range - problem solved.

If in doubt read and follow the instructions in the handbook.

Post #237172523rd Jun 2024 11:03 am
Kali

Australia 

Laughing

Post #237172923rd Jun 2024 12:37 pm
HairyFool

I have told the story many a time because in most cases you read or hear it tends to be umpteenth hand. I worked at British Airways, a company that tended to be a bit hot on health and and safety. Anything equipmentwise over a weight limit had a brass tag to indicate it should be craned into place and despite the delays that caused he was a stickler. This is not some vague somebody but somebody I worked with, we were shocked by the death of course but almost as much by the manner it happened and I'll lay odds that he had axle stands in his garage as well, did him no good leaving them there.
Post #237173023rd Jun 2024 1:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >