Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

airconditioning refill
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
thomash

airconditioning refill

My airconditioning (2005 HSE) didn't cool anymore last summer, so I had it refilled in september. Car was 2 years and 3 months old then, with 20.000 kms on it. A month ago, the airconditioning didn't cool properly again (now 50.000km). So, during a service I had it refilled again and they put a tracer-fluid in to check whether it's leaking or not. Today I went back and they couldn't find a leak.
It surely can't be normal that it has to be refilled every 6 months? Dealer doesn't know...? Does anyone know what a normal interval is? My six-year old saab has been refilled only once, when the aircon pump was broken, and is still working perfectly.

regards,
Thomas

Post #30449230th May 2008 10:37 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Most D3's haven't had a re-gas yet!!, so no, 6 months is not normal.
Dye should be apparent if it was put in & looked for correctly.

Regards
Steve

Post #30450130th May 2008 11:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ultimajk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Im about to get mine re-gassed for the first time by my mate. He said re gassing is a chargable item after any vehicle is 12 months old. You should also get 12 months guarantee if you get it re gassed.
One thing he did mention is as it is climate control and not AC it could be the sensors that are not operating correctly. The way you can determine if it is working correctly is by measuring the indoor ambient temp once its on. It should drop to at least 3 degrees cooler than the outside ambient temp.
Something else to try, if you have dual controls turn the back ones off. then do the same with the front (and leave the back on). Does the temp differ in the car? If so it may be the sensors and not the gas that are playing up.

Hope this helps

John

Post #30451030th May 2008 11:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Hi John,

You will be lucky to get a re-gas guaranteed for 12 months. That means all the components on the vehicle are not going to leak for 12 months.
Only if the leak check was not done correctly, (which would be apparent in a few weeks) would they be likely to guarantee a regas.

Regards
Steve

Post #30451430th May 2008 11:57 am
ultimajk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

If the components leak that wouldnt be covered under the quarantee by the company re-gassing because its a mechanical failure, that would be the vehicle warranty (if any).

When they re-gas any vehicle they do it by weight, remove the gas, weigh it and fill it with the correct weight. They then "should" charge you according to the weight filled.

The way any company would get out of the guarantee is by proving there was leak gas because there was is less than when it was filled. Quess what im saying is the reason they give you a quarantee is the because they are gauranteed never to get a claim. If you have a leak your quarantee is void and if you have the same weight in as when it was done it must be another issue, sensor etc. Make sense???? Im confused! Confused

Post #30452330th May 2008 12:19 pm
gesoono

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Just had my re-gassed by Taggarts, Glasgow. fixed the cooling problem £112 incl VAT - not so cool.
 Fuji White, Auto with Surround Camera  
Post #30453530th May 2008 12:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >