Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Africa

Alignment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TiaanS

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Alignment

After a play session at Moegatly on the 24th I decided that I need to re balance the BFGs and do alignment on the Disco, so got the appointment for the alignment and balancing and phoned LR to make an appointment for “locking” the suspension… sure no problem, took the disco in, they locked the suspension, did the balancing and alignment and back to LR for unlocking the suspension without any problem.

Now the concern I have is that LR charged me more for locking and unlocking the suspension (+/- 10 min) than what the balancing and alignment cost me. Its not a lot of money but in principle it is just ridicules…
Big Cry

Post #2114254th Oct 2007 8:23 am
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

That's strange because all my alignment etc has been done under warranty (sometimes without me even asking). Maybe you should ask why if LR insist on "locking" the vehicle should there be a charge for it. And while you're at it ask what you're meant to do if your alignment / balancing goes out in the Kaokoveld for example.

Post #2114324th Oct 2007 9:03 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I know LR Midrand charges R340 or thereabouts to do the whole job . What did it cost you for alignmant and the LR costs

Post #2114744th Oct 2007 12:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TiaanS

LR cost: R280
Alignment cost: R180
and the balancing was free as i have a lifetime balancing on the BFGs

Post #2115004th Oct 2007 1:55 pm
heine

So it's cheaper then to have LR do the whole thing ?

Post #2115034th Oct 2007 2:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TiaanS

Just surprising that I need to visit LR every 10,000km when I do alignment Crying or Very sad think the better option will be to ask them to do the alignment with every service ..

Post #2115084th Oct 2007 2:11 pm
heine

Yup - it's something I've added to my service list - not that big a difference in distance in any case , as I try to get mine serviced every 11000 km

Post #2115104th Oct 2007 2:13 pm
Richard SA

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

robharvey wrote:
Maybe you should ask why if LR insist on "locking" the vehicle should there be a charge for it. And while you're at it ask what you're meant to do if your alignment / balancing goes out in the Kaokoveld for example.

What is the story with this "lock" I took my lorry to TWT Sandton and they adjusted at access level and normal ride hight ?
 White LR3 TDV6 2007  
Post #2115244th Oct 2007 3:00 pm
heine

Something to do with setting the car to a specific height to compensate for loading etc . Not sure if it's really neccessary

Post #2119305th Oct 2007 7:47 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Eisj guys - just when I get comfortable with the D3 you come up with these things !!!!!!

Is this locking thing somewhere in the manual ? - first time I heard of it. When I was at TWT the other day for the puncture, a very energetic salesman wanted to force me into balancing and alignment which I never did, but when I asked him if there is anything special on the D3 - the answer was no.

Actualy do not think they have much experience with D3 as the machies stood there for a couple of minutes trying to figure out how to lower the spare !

Post #2119385th Oct 2007 8:30 am
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The locking thing seems to be a fairly recent requirement. Since I've had my car LR have always insisted that the wheel alignment be done by them. I only found this out after attempting to get mine done by my tame Hi-Q techie, when my car went ballistic and into limp mode, something to do with the steering alignment being out. I took it to LR who sorted the whole lot out under warranty and requested that they only do the alignment from then on. But they definitely didn't lock the car then and it went back for alignment three more times by its 24k service. I honestly think that they have only recently worked out, as Heine says, that they need to lock the car to get the correct settings/load etc. I'm sure you all got the mail about not using independent tyre centres, that obviously ties in with the warranty problems they've been having with inside wear on the tyres. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they're covering their ar Censored s against future claims.

Post #2119825th Oct 2007 10:06 am
Atacama

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I heard about the locking when LR where trying to get my gearbox comms sorted out. This was about 3 months ago. From what i could understand is that they had just found out about it. I did not go into it with them at that stage.

Post #2119905th Oct 2007 10:22 am
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I got an e-mail from LRSA a while back which I posted, regarding alignment.

LRSA e-mail

Post #2130088th Oct 2007 9:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >