Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Altenator rpm & battery damage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Altenator rpm & battery damage

Like alll questions now, the answer's probably already here somewhere but I could not find it. Sorry!

I am installing a 12,000lb winch (cue gag - "exceeds front axle load limit") which can draw 300+amps when operating. I intend to protect both car and winch by observing a light duty cycle, but obviously it will still be a major load.

Q1: Best RPM for optimum altenator output? Traditional commonsense says maybe 2,000rpm, but many things in D3's don't work like that! Perhaps the D3's altenator manages it at idle rpm?

Q2: Does the cadmium nature of the D3 battery make it more or less likely to be able to handle this type of duty?

I don't want the weight, cost and complexity of a second battery, but would be interested to hear from the Council of Wisdom! I promise to update the Wiki with your answers...

Last edited by Mr Andrew on 21st Jun 2009 1:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #48429819th Jun 2009 10:38 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

1. The battery is Calcium NOT Cadmium. Wink

2. I believe that the Calcium batteries are LESS able to cope with winch loads than standard lead-acid

3. With the loads you're expecting, I would install a second battery of starting battery configuration (ie. high discharge for short periods).

4. Talk to AndrewS, he has fitted a 12000lb winch (I think).

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #48435520th Jun 2009 2:59 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Max available output is at 1500rpm & above, the battery should be OK as it's the one used on G4 vehicles, which don't have a second battery.
The key thing is the HP or kW rating of the winch motor, not the max pulling capacity to determine if a second battery is needed although it is true that lead-calcium batteries are not tolerant of deep discharge.
consider this though, during a winching operation, how long as a %age are you actually winching for? very rarely is it above 10% of the time it takes to complete the operation - just make sure that the vehicle is running before & after winching to recharge the battery properly. The TDV6 alternator has a max output of 150A, take away the running load for the vehicle and you are only drawing ~200A from the battery. If you don't intend to fit a second battery, i'd consider getting a battery charger suitable for lead-calcium batteries to 'recondition' your battery occasionally

BTW, my 12,000lb winch works fine! Mr. Green

Post #48451620th Jun 2009 5:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

10forCash,
Thanks for your comments, I had started to doubt myself, which would have meant a yellowtop & taxride system at great expense, and I just don't need all the extra stuff!

The motor is a 6.6hp/4.5kw so its a fair size but you are 100% right - it will only be used for a small portion of the recovery time. Also, the winch specs say 85amp draw with no load, increasing to 158amps with 4,000lb (1,800kg). Alot of the time is respooling with no load, so your logic re 150amp alternator output makes a lot of sense to me. Although I am always cautious when it comes to the sparky stuff, as I don't really understand it, hence my questions.

I spent most of this weekend fitting a Rasta hidden winch kit. It has been a slow job and remains unfinished. It took me ages to get the front of the car disassembled, mainly 'cause I was very cautious so as to not break any clips etc. The Rasta winch tray is very well made (seems to have neater welding than RLD's), and the fact that it's pre-drilled to suit my Rasta front protection plate was a bonus. I am muddling a bit now with the aluminium hawse (as my winch has synthetic rope), and then have the wiring to finish (which is proving a bit tricky given the way the control box is designed).

Post #48478221st Jun 2009 1:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >