Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Amber ECO warning light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
andy526rt

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Amber ECO warning light

Hi. I have recently started to see an amber warning light on my 2015/65 disco. It's only on an intermittent basis, saying eh Eco stop start system is not available.

Any ideas?

I've done a bit of searching on the forum, but couldn't find much to help out. I don't have an IID reader, but was wondering

1) is there any iikehood that this is related to the condition of the stop start battery?
2) can i use a normal car battery charger to give this type of battery a top up?
3) is there anything else I should think about to get rid of the warning....

to be honest, the rest of the car works fine, but having the warning light is a bit of a worry to SWMBO

cheers
andy

Post #20334533rd Mar 2019 9:50 am
chugga90

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Probably related to either battery, not sure on charging as dealer solved mine after three attempts.
New batteries in the end, but also did a replacement module as it was the troubled 2014 version!
Charge the main battery and see what you get?
 Discovery commercial tdv6 auto 2013
Volkswagen t6 lwb Kombi dsg 4motion 2018
Volkswagen t5.1 lwb single cab tipper 2013
Discovery commercial sdv6 auto 2014 gone and not really missed.
Range Rover Tdv8 gone
Freelander 2 I6 very sadly gone
VW t5 Dsg gone and missed 

Post #20334653rd Mar 2019 10:23 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

you have to do main battery check to verify its SOC and SOC
if you only do shorter trips like I did for lats 3 years your main battery SOC would drop dramatically so you would loose cranking capacity hence SS system would completely stop operating or throw errors

I had slightly bigger batt put in and all works the charm but this one will be taken care of much better than old one to make it last much longer

good luck
G

Post #20334713rd Mar 2019 10:36 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

SS not working and no warning light = big battery low charge or (amps=new battery)
SS not working with warning light = small battery low charge or (low amps = new battery) Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20334763rd Mar 2019 10:55 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

My experience was that when I got the ECO warning light it was the small stop/start battery ( keeps electrics running when car stops engine). I have a MY16 (15 reg). I had issues in the past with stop start where the ECO light did not come on. Eventually solved by dealer with a software update.
I diagnosed my issue (with help from this forum) by checking voltage of the stop start battery with a multi meter, which was low (less than 12v). Tried charging it with my CTEK which after a few hours came up with an error. Replaced battery And working fine immediately after. It was only 3 months past the end of it’s 3 year warranty.
Would suggest those steps and report back.
If you do need to replace the stop/start battery, the LR branded version is much more expensive than the same Exide battery without the LR branding on it (which can be purchased for between £35-£45 in my experience) so search this forum for those details and come back if you need help finding it.
Replacement is easy and no resets/IID tool work required. Happy to chip in with my experience of changing it over if needed. The stop/start battery is on the drivers side under the plastic box cover on my car.
Keep us informed
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #20334783rd Mar 2019 11:11 am
RAW

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

had this on mine in November, new stop start battery cost £30 from Exeter batteries and it arrived with all JLR decal on, This seemed to work great until this week when the light has come back on, LRA called and went through it again batteries tested fine and they got the light off although by the time he had drank his coffee the light was back on, further testing found the controller module that is in by the battery has an intermittent fault, easily identified by testing voltages.

Test 1 with engine not running

Main Battery 12.8v
Stop start Battery 12.4v

Test 2 with engine running

Main battery 14.5v
Stop start Battery 12.4v when light was on. 14.5v when light was off

Test 3 with engine running

Module has 3 battery leads attached to it 2 come from the main Battery box side 1 connects to load terminal the other to Batt 1 terminal, the other is marked as Batt 2 and connects to the stop start battery

All connections should show the same voltage, the batt 2 connection is intermittently on mine going between 12.4v and the 14.5v.

There are some fuses on the module but i cant find any info on what they do and as mine is on the extended warranty it will just get replaced,

Hope this helps
 MY18 RRS Autobiography Fuji White
MY15 D4 silver Commercial
MY11 D4 Fuji White Landmark (Gone)
MY11 D4 Silver Commercial(Gone)
Isuzu Utah D Max(Gone)
John Deere Gator HPX
Nifty Lift HR12
Kubota KX41-2 

Post #20334873rd Mar 2019 11:31 am
andy526rt

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Wonderful - thanks for all the useful info, and the swift responses Thumbs Up

Post #20334953rd Mar 2019 11:45 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

RAW wrote:
had this on mine in November, new stop start battery cost £30 from Exeter batteries and it arrived with all JLR decal on, This seemed to work great until this week when the light has come back on, LRA called and went through it again batteries tested fine and they got the light off although by the time he had drank his coffee the light was back on, further testing found the controller module that is in by the battery has an intermittent fault, easily identified by testing voltages.

Test 1 with engine not running

Main Battery 12.8v
Stop start Battery 12.4v

Test 2 with engine running

Main battery 14.5v
Stop start Battery 12.4v when light was on. 14.5v when light was off

Test 3 with engine running

Module has 3 battery leads attached to it 2 come from the main Battery box side 1 connects to load terminal the other to Batt 1 terminal, the other is marked as Batt 2 and connects to the stop start battery

All connections should show the same voltage, the batt 2 connection is intermittently on mine going between 12.4v and the 14.5v.

There are some fuses on the module but i cant find any info on what they do and as mine is on the extended warranty it will just get replaced,

Hope this helps

Very helpful Thumbs Up
As can be seen in the chart below the small battery is not fully charged, voltage is only a measurement of volts, it does not necessarily confirm the battery is good, cold cranking amps are what provide the power to crank the engine, torch batteries can deliver 13v for example but they will not start a car!

It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20335483rd Mar 2019 2:54 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

unless state of capacity has gone down due to improper usage than SOC will be showing 100% but available charge will be much smaller causing issues

Post #20335503rd Mar 2019 3:00 pm
RAW

In my case both batteries were replaced in November so was confident the batteries were ok but the difference in the voltage showed alternator was working, the stop start battery is a little low but then we have proved its not getting charged all the time as the supply from batt 2 terminal on the control module is breaking down, i had run last night in the dark with lights etc on and the eco light stayed off four the 1 hour journey and this morning the stop start battery is 12.7 volts so at least i know the charging system is working ok.

I got my stop start battery from Exeter battery store £30.00 and it came with genuine LR parts stickers and labels. Details below
Isuzu Utah D Max(Gone)
John Deere Gator HPX
Nifty Lift HR12
Kubota KX41-2 

Post #20335573rd Mar 2019 3:25 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My warning eco light has been coming on and off for over 6 months car starts fine no problems.
My dealer didn't want to know unless they had it for another day after I had service/mot so they could put it on charge overnight and Landover assistance didn't want to know either...

Post #20336373rd Mar 2019 7:53 pm
RAW

Car starts fine its just the stop start wont work with light on and the stop start battery wont get charged, LRA that came to me was aware that the control module was known to be an issue on some vehicles.
Mine is booked in for a service on the 13th march and i have a D5 courtesy booked so they can sort it all then.
My salesman is keen to get it sorted with no fuss as he is hoping to get another sale out of me next month.
Isuzu Utah D Max(Gone)
John Deere Gator HPX
Nifty Lift HR12
Kubota KX41-2 

Post #20336423rd Mar 2019 8:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: