DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Anderson fitted by towing sockets
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Anderson fitted by towing sockets

Hi

Wondering if someone may know of some pics showing an Anderson connector fitted by the towing sockets plse

Reason being I’ve got a T max tyre compressor it pulls 30 x amps , will remove the crocodile clips and fit an Anderson connector in there place for easy connection

Will then run some 60 amp cable I have from the aux battery to the rear towing socket area , wondering about removing the 12n socket and fit the Anderson connector in its place , ie , maybe using some stainless steel sheet to utilise the 12n hole , the 12s I use for charging my batteries

Just can’t find the post where someone done that plse ,ref the Anderson, they made up a bracket as well

Don’t know if it would be easier to hard wire the T max in or just plug it into the Anderson connector by the intended towing socket area , but if I hardwired it would have to find a space for it, maybe under passenger seat or passenger boot locker

Thks so much as always Bow down

Post #208518919th Sep 2019 12:49 am
ArdbegBold

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hope this helps

Post #208519519th Sep 2019 3:49 am
gstuart

Bow down Bow down

That’s brilliant , thank u so much Thumbs Up

I like the second pic what a brilliant idea and never seen that done before and think I’ll do that option as it also keeps the connector inside the vehicle out of the weather

Also seeing that gives me another idea , if I’m able to fit my T max tyre compressor inside the storage box and run a wire inside with an on /off switch on top where u have ur connector , then run a short piece of airline down inside to the side locker with a quick release connector for an airline , to which I’ve got a 30 x foot roll of 3/8 and would be perfect

Might be able to fit the airline roll inside the side locker or fit a net where the panel moulding on the side goes in and fit it there

Will have to be the passenger side boot locker because of the jack etc on the other side

Awesome and thks so much once again for sharing the piccies

Thumbs Up

Post #208520019th Sep 2019 6:19 am
gstuart

May I also ask plse , can u remember what size amperage cable to used please

Did u install all ur fuses etc directly behind the panel plse

Thks again Thumbs Up

Ps, will also see if it’s possible to run some 10mm cable inside the chassis from the aux battery to the back inside a suitably protective water proof conduit, plenty of access holes and can bring it up straight into the bottom of the boots side locker as there’s grommets there, haven’t seen any pics yet of it being done and bet there’s a reason Whistle

Post #208520219th Sep 2019 6:27 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Why not just fit the anderson in the front grill and make a longer cable to run the compressor, no need to grovel under the car that way.

Post #208520919th Sep 2019 7:11 am
gstuart

Hi mate

Bless u and That’s another great idea , indeed would really save me a world of pain trying to get underneath ,, see another reason I always ask to get other ideas Bow down

Have a roll of airline that will fit straight onto the compressor , should be plenty long enough

Do have some spare 16mm battery cable, alas will have to see if it’s long enough , plus a 40 amp re settable style fuse which I can put next to the aux battery

Daft question, do u need a special crimper for the andersons plse, enclosed a pic of the crimper I used for when I done the split charge cable crimps

Thks again buddy Thumbs Up

Post #208522119th Sep 2019 8:22 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Some pics of mine here

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/12v-power-s...on+%2Brear
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #208522219th Sep 2019 8:27 am
gstuart

Hi

Thks a million for that , very grateful Bow down

Also saw the link to ur other thread ref mounting the front Anderson behind the badge , very clever , will have a good study of that Thumbs Up

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic120504...2BANDERSON

Just remembered Have got some of the small Anderson’s but not sure of the amperage , will see if there marked ref amps , they also come with a pair of small brackets , assume to mount them ?

also still have my old D3 grill if I do go in the badge direction , just need to find some stainless steel for the bracket , or will have a search in my shed to make something up

Think I may have a similar grill, know I’ve got a spare badge , but maybe the small Anderson’s will be ok amps wise so can mount it in-between , they haven’t got any protection cover though , so will have to ensure I get one

Thks a million once again Thumbs Up

Post #208523419th Sep 2019 8:58 am
gstuart

Found a link for the Anderson’s, didn’t realise they do different types of bracket

https://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/anderson...2586-p.asp

Post #208524819th Sep 2019 9:21 am
SteveKK

Ukraine 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

You may have already looked, but the 12 Volt Planet have a decent selection too.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/search/for/anderson/

Regards,
Steve

Post #208529919th Sep 2019 12:54 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

If you do go for a grille mounted approach, why not use a modified electric car charging connector ? comes with free parking space in many car-parks Whistle

Post #208531519th Sep 2019 1:57 pm
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I used the smaller version on my D3 think they were 50 or 75amp. Had it behind the rear tow cover and it ran from the aux battery to the back. Used it for jump starting and charging for years and as far as im aware it seemed sufficient and worked well. This also had a traxide split charge unit and you could charge both batteries together as long as the green light was on solid (hence didnt have a low battery). Also set up a lead between the batteries that could be plugged in for a quick self jump start if rqd which it was on a few occasions. Think Adrian (Wiggs) supplied all my info at the time hence similar set up Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #208533719th Sep 2019 3:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Great connectors, all the trucks at work have them for the trailer tail lifts, flat battery no problem, a long pair of leads, turn up in another truck, connect up, jump start and away you go all in a minute or two.

Fitted them to all my cars a few years ago for jump starting and running compressor, also good for charging the battery.

Post #208534219th Sep 2019 4:10 pm
gstuart

SteveKK wrote:
You may have already looked, but the 12 Volt Planet have a decent selection too.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/search/for/anderson/

Regards,
Steve

Hi Steve

Many thks for the link, most appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #208543419th Sep 2019 9:42 pm
gstuart

Ceekay wrote:
I used the smaller version on my D3 think they were 50 or 75amp. Had it behind the rear tow cover and it ran from the aux battery to the back. Used it for jump starting and charging for years and as far as im aware it seemed sufficient and worked well. This also had a traxide split charge unit and you could charge both batteries together as long as the green light was on solid (hence didnt have a low battery). Also set up a lead between the batteries that could be plugged in for a quick self jump start if rqd which it was on a few occasions. Think Adrian (Wiggs) supplied all my info at the time hence similar set up Thumbs Up

Hi

Many thks , Think the Anderson is also a 50 x amp, will have a look in the next few days to see what amps are

I’ve got the T max split charge system and normally charge the batteries via the 12s socket

Funny enough my other battery monitor turned up and quickly fitted it to my aux battery , have the CTEK directly onto the main battery for now , but need to turn the disco round so can plug it into the 12s socket and then see if both the main and aux batteries charge via this battery app

Handy I now have the volt meters inside the cabin for both main & aux batteries

I did take a quick screenshot of the batteries , but will take another screenshot once the 12s is connected

So next step will be to install the Anderson connector by the front grill , can then move on ref installing a solar panel on the roof so the batteries will be kept maintained when the disco isn’t being used

Thks so much Once again Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #208543819th Sep 2019 9:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >