Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Anniversary edition
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Anniversary edition

Does anyone know where an anniversary edition spec D5 sits within the spec level range?

What does it have, or not have, compared to an HSE or HSE Lux?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225556465202
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #233754223rd May 2023 10:57 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

It was an SE that had some stuff added, apparently:
Quote:
Land Rover Discovery Anniversary Edition in detail:
Discovery Sd6 SE (standard Sd6 SE price £57,005)
+ Privacy glass
+ 22” style 5011 Sparkle Silver wheels
+ Fixed panoramic roof
+ Santorini Black, Corris Grey, Loire Blue or Indus Silver metallic paint
+ MeridianTM 380 watt sound system
Option value, £6,820

from https://media.landrover.com/en-gb/news/201...ry-edition

UK only, 400 made in Santorini Black, Corris Grey, Loire Blue or Indus Silver

Which suggests it's not a brilliantly high spec version.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #233755224th May 2023 12:15 am
Nasher

Thanks RRSTDV8.

I was being very Lazy not searching properly myself.

You sort of think the limited special editions will be at the top of the tree spec wise, but this isn't a viable alternative to an HSE or HSE LUX if you want toys like the high end ICE etc then.

I'm not looking seriously by the way, just interested in a 'coming to terms with my fate' way.
Post #233756324th May 2023 8:34 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
I'm not looking seriously by the way
Thumbs Up

Pleased to hear that Simon. Whistle

Post #233756924th May 2023 9:55 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've never understood paying for high tech in cars. I tend to order a base model and add what I use or choose a model spec with it.

I had a recent moment when I thought about trading in my Defender for a show room D5 D250 S. It had everything on it I wanted and would have ordered - Air suspension, Apple Carplay, Heated seats, heated steering wheel, three way split middle row seats. The only thing I needed dealer fitting was a fixed two bar. I have simple tastes. Anyway, decisive against it because the deal to change was rubbish.

Best specced car was the original D3 S. Thumbs Up

If you're looking at a D5 then go for the MY20/21 with the upgraded dash, PviPro and better middle seats.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #233757024th May 2023 10:07 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately, it's becoming common that some of the things that people might want to spec aren't available as options on the lower spec models. This then forces the customer to up-spec to a higher model.

Having said that, many cars come loaded with stuff I'm not fussed about even at the lower end of the range. And that makes it even more annoying. Seems to me that with everything being plug-in electronic modules these days, it ought to be possible to really spec a car to a bespoke requirement from a basic car and then the options wanted.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #233757324th May 2023 10:35 am
Nasher

Thanks guys

Moo, I've never understood buying a brand new car when I can get a low mileage 2 or 3yr old one that's already had all it's build issues worked out of it at a great discount.

Obviously I do end up buying cars which were a higher spec when they were new, but again it means I can afford a better car than I could afford if buying new.

I'm sure everyone is sick to death of my moaning and rambling about there being no viable replacement for the D4 which ticks all my personal boxes, but I'm slowly coming round to the realisation that of all the newer LR offerings the D5 ticks more boxes than the rest.
Thankfully I wouldn't be able to see the outside whilst I'm driving it.
Oh, and of course I still wouldn't scratch that itch for a TDV8 engine.

I've almost given up now on finding a decent way to create a quickly configurable totally flat load area in an L405(which is what my heart wants) and I'm now totally convinced that used new shape Defenders are just at P155 taking prices for what they are.
Post #233757624th May 2023 11:05 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The TDV8 worked really well in the L320 RRS but it would be too small a car for you if you're after Disco-sized capacity. The L322 FFRR gives more internal space and the seats "tumble fold" forward to give a decent flat load area and it's available with both the 3.6TDV8 and the later 4.4TDV8 giving you a choice of V8-niceness.

Or talk to Disco_Mikey and get him to fit a TDV8 in to a Disco like he has done for himself. Thumbs Up
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #233757824th May 2023 11:46 am
Nasher

That's interesting.

When I was looking for my D4 back in late 2019 there was no way I could afford an L405, they just weren't cheap enough yet, so I did look at a couple of TDV8 L322s.

I dismissed them at the time mainly because I still needed 7 seats, which I now could do without.

I'm sure I also dismissed them because the rear seats didn't fold flat enough.

A really low mileage Autobiography or Westminster spec car could be an option when the time comes.
I'm not a new car snob by any stretch of the imagination.
Post #233757924th May 2023 11:58 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I'm the same as you - I don't buy new. The only new cars I've ever had have been company cars. Otherwise, I buy second hand. My current RRS was bought from a forum member (who has subsequently tried to sell me his Classic and his L322 at various time, haven't you Rob? Laughing ).

I quite like the idea of L405 4.4 SDV8. But then I also quite fancy an L320 5.0 S/C whilst having one is still possible. Tricky! Laughing

I'd like a L494 RRS but they seem to be less practical than the L320 as the rear seats don't fold flat and you lose the useful under-seat storage that the L320 has.

Current thoughts are to keep the RRS and replace the Skoda Octavia with an EV for local trips. But then the Skoda is worth threepence and an EV, even second hand, is going to be mucho dinero .
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #233758024th May 2023 12:25 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I can’t comment on the prices for used D5’s but prices for L405’s are still much higher than when I bought mine in 2019.

So much so that it doesn’t make any sense to replace mine with another used one. I’m going to try to get two, possibly three more years of LR extended warranty on it and see where the market is then.

D5 is very much a personal preference. I didn’t get on with the lower driving position and high waistline and corresponding small glass area. Or the swooping bonnet line which made any off-road driving a worry as placing it was so much harder.

The other major gripe for me was the design of the headlining, which restricted headroom. Which for the vast majority of people wouldn’t be a concern.

All that and exterior styling aside, the new one I had for 13k miles during lockdown was very good. The split tailgate was better than nothing.

I’m so much happier in my FFRR though. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #233758524th May 2023 1:18 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I didn't gel with the D5 I had as a loan car last year. From the driver's seat it was OK but so many things about, when I had a good poke around, seemed to be contrivances. And the 2nd row seats were not at all nice - even SWMBO commented on them without prompting from me. And the styling is very much not my cup of tea but that's entirely on me, obviously.

S'funny but it seems to me that with each iteration, LRs are becoming less practical with fewer of those details that are worthwhile, and more of those that are styling led. They have gone from form following function to the other way round. Maybe it's an industry-wide thing, maybe it's just LR - I don't know as I haven't looked elsewhere for a while.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #233758724th May 2023 1:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >