DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

(Another) LR3 Aftermarket Stereo Install Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rumbles

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
(Another) LR3 Aftermarket Stereo Install Question

Hi All,

I am in the process of ditching the old CD-400 unit and decided to go without an aftermarket bridging harness and hardwire everything instead however I have hit a few snags which I am hoping you can help me with!

For context the LR3 originally was fitting with the low line stereo with no steering wheel controls.

I think I have identified all the leads in the main harness and from what I can gather the smaller harness is for AUX connections. I have soldered all the leads to the new stereo hardness with the exception of:
- Steering wheel control - Voltage (PIN 18): As I don't have steering wheel controls I assume this does nothing?
- Steering wheel control - Signal (PIN 7): As I don't have steering wheel controls I assume this does nothing?
- Antenna Power (PIN 12): I initially thought this was switched power/accessories but my test light says otherwise... Should I just be connecting this to my new head unit's antenna power lead?
- CAN Controller Area Network - In +ve (PIN 9): I have no idea what to do with this....
- CAN Controller Area Network - Out -ve (PIN 10): Nor this....

Now for my queries:
1. Where the heck is the switched power/ACC lead? Do I need to run a new one from the fuse box?
2. I believe the CAN leads not being connected is now causing the car not to start due to a CANBUS failure (door lock/unlock, hazard lights, etc. on accessories) - any idea how to remedy this? My new stereo does have a CAN interface connector but no idea how to wire it up...
3. My new stereo has a parking brake input, any ideas on what to do with this? I read somewhere to just connect this to ground so the stereo always assumes the park brake is on...
4. Am I right in assuming the small original harness is just for AUX and can be terminated?

Please see images below, last time I installed a car stereo was almost 20 years ago - was way less complicated back then!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thanks.

Post #22861522nd Apr 2022 10:31 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

So your car should start without the radio, (hence wires unconnected) so you better sort that out first !
have you shorted the wires? have you run the battery down? maybe the car needs a reset with battery disconnection?

Get rid of any bare ends on the yellow CAN wires, and keep them close/twisted (NOT Connected to each other)

The Acc wire needs to come from the rear of the cigar lighter. (green wire?)

1. The Antenna Power (PIN 12): powers the antenna amplifiers in the rear, so if you are going to use the radio, you do need to use this. Sadly the LR3 is expecting a ground signal to turn them on, and your new radio will give a postive output (usually on blue wire). So you need to use a relay to sort this.

relay pins 30 and 85 to ground
relay pin 86 to head unit blue
relay pin 87 to LR pin 12

3. yeah ground park brake wire
4. yeap Aux. Just leave it. No need to cut it off!

The reverse light signal can be found on 2 fuses behind the glovebox. So use a piggy back fuse adaptor to pick this signal up

Post #22861562nd Apr 2022 10:37 am
Rumbles

Amazing thanks for the prompt response Pete!

In relation to the antenna - my new stereo has DAB with its own antenna (stuck on the front windscreen). I assume this means I can do away with the original rear window antenna and amp?

With respect to the CAN - battery isn't flat and I don't believe there is a short. When I turn the key the instrument panel lights up, the doors lock and unlock for some reason and the hazard lights turn on. Turning the key further doesn't start the car. Could be an immobilizer issue? I'll try a hard reset by unplugging the battery tomorrow morning and see what happens... Does this mean I can leave the CAN leads unplugged and just isolate/terminate them?

Cheers,
Niels

Post #22861602nd Apr 2022 10:56 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Typical can symptoms.

Leave can wires terminated.

Let’s hope you haven’t done permeant damage and are able to start car somehow
Can’t help much with that.
Ideally you would leave battery disconnected over night

Post #22861622nd Apr 2022 11:05 am
Rumbles

Hard reset (battery disconnect) did the trick, no more unlocking/locking doors and hazard lights plus the car starts - always a positive. Thanks Pete!

Post #22862423rd Apr 2022 12:18 am
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Could have saved a lot of stuffing around by buying the aerpro fascia and harness kit, you'd be done in 10 minutes.

Post #22869888th Apr 2022 5:08 am
NCC-1031

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

They look good. Wow

Post #22870488th Apr 2022 12:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >