Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Aquaplaning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
soundsolutions

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Graeme,

Welcome aboard. Judging on some of today’s comments around today’s forum, I think the knife draw was pretty full.
I had a similar problem with grip, C Censored ped myself 1st time it happened on the rather wonderfully wet M62!
After various searches (& helpful [u]abuse[/u], help)etc, I did get a lot of helpful advice, & think I may well go with the AT2’s.
Luckily, or not, I have checked & still got 5mm left, so time to start saving.

Try this link:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic38474.html?highlight=

Cheers

Phil
 The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.  
Post #5154004th Sep 2009 12:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zaphod

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm on 19"Wranglers which are needing replaced and the aquaplaning is now quite noticeable. Never had an issue when the tyres had good tread left. Mine are close to the wear indicators, so I think that's the reason. Thumbs Up
 Sail Fast - Live Slow...

.. / -.- -. --- .-- / .-- .... . .-. . / -- -.-- / - --- .-- . .-.. / .. ... 

Post #5154104th Sep 2009 1:23 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

In my experience the D3’s & RRS’s have exhibited these characteristics right from the get go, with original factory fit tyres, as new as could be.

18” rims on the D3’s & with 18’s 19’s & 20’s on the RRS’s.

Post #5154234th Sep 2009 1:59 pm
drpepper

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yep, Noticed it on my 08 reg too on the standard factory fit 19's, it has done 28k though on those tyres and they are wearing down and due replacing next month I reckon (service, brakes and spots this month so they'll have to last, lol). I'll be looking for a decent sort of intermediate tyre, good on road but capable off road too, have to see what MTR's come in at price wise.

Crappy little cars go best for puddles as narrow wheels just cut through like a knife, rather than the wider profiles which are more like a knife on it's side, something to do with water displacement i believe.....
 Errr, ummm, maybe...oh bo**ocks, just do it !

Club Torq-Tune
Club ATR
Club Mantec
Club TFC Serviced

2008 Zermatt Silver HSE with 20" Shadowchrome Stormers, 100W Spots, Sideboards, chrome pipes, Privacy Glass and D3 sticker
2000 Boxster S
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 

Post #5156474th Sep 2009 10:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco3newbie

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just to add my 2penorth....08 XS on 18" Wranglers...plenty of tread left and pressures at 33psi front and 36 psi rear. Noticed "water wobble" during heavy rain/surface water earlier in year when travelling at 'normal' road speeds and hitting the odd puddle. Thought it was just me but never had any problems with old D1's on Pirelli Scorpions.

Just back from 2 weeks in north west Scotland (all the midges drowned!!) and have to admit that the sensation of aqauplaning was very evident so I drove a little more cautiously and suggested to SWMBO that a set of spare rims with ATR's may be worthwhile Whistle

Have to admit a bit surprised that 2.7tonnes of metal gets the water wobble so easily but suspect it may be factory fit tyres but at least the front end gets a wash every time you hit a puddle. Rolling with laughter

Still no other complaints just more Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
 Club RLD spare wheel protection
Club RLD skid plate
Club its all black
Club D3 - it's gone
Club D4 - just arrived and still all black 

Post #5156644th Sep 2009 11:11 pm
Shrinky

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

A friend of mine drove my car and couldn't believe how it drove in the wet Rolling Eyes His Audi A3 is terrible and it has 4 wheel drive Thud
 Global Warming.... I'm luvvin it  
Post #5156664th Sep 2009 11:17 pm
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Glad it's not just me then...... Major aquaplaning on my 18" Wranglers at the mo. Fair enough, they are near then end of their life, so it's just as well I'm trading it in Whistle
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5156674th Sep 2009 11:18 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Aquaplaning is a fairly exacting science in so much as it occurs when a tyre cannot dissipate water on the road surface quickly enough and the vehicle begins to ride on a layer of water. There will come a point with any vehicle and any tyre when if you are traveling fast enough you may aquaplane ...some reports suggest that the threshold speed is as little as 45mph.

A best buddy of mine for over 15 years was killed in an aquaplaning accident on the M4 near Bridgend nearly 10 years ago. His vehicle was overtaking a truck in poor weather when he aquaplaned and lost steering control, hit a roadside sign and burst into flames. Neither he nor his passenger got out.

Whatever your tyres ...just back it off a bit in poor weather Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 5th Sep 2009 12:09 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5156694th Sep 2009 11:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Very good advice DG, laws of physics apply even to Discovery 3 Thumbs Up

You should try a Mini Cooper S on worn tyres, now thats aquaplaning. Its Censored scary.

Post #5156714th Sep 2009 11:36 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The other thing to remember about speed and water and weight...

Fill a large bowl or bath with water.

Now make a fist and slowly push your hand into the water... easy is it not ?

Now punch the water as hard as you can... mmm depending on how hard to punched... it was a lot harder wasn't it ?

Now do the same with your hand flat... even more difference and it probably hurt if you really slapped it Shocked

Now imagine your the tyre of your D3 hitting a deepish puddle at the edge of the road and traveling at 5 MPH... hmmm no effect at all, easy peasy.

Now imagine speeding up to 60 MPH - ouch, I felt that... so did the suspension and the whole chassis.

Remember doing belly flops ?? Compared with lowering yourself slowly into the pool.

It ain't rocket science, the faster you go the harder the water gets - its called compression (I think) and all liquids display the same properties.

Just because your D3 weighs 2,700 KG's doesn't mean it will not be affected by speed and hitting a liquid.

Post #5156845th Sep 2009 12:04 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up good analogy.

Looking at it from a purely mechanical point of view, Water is a liquid, and has a mass. In order to move a mass you have to overcome its static inertia. The more water in front of the tyre, the more energy will be required to overcome the tendency of the water to stay where it is.

A good tyre with unworn well designed tread will break the water up into smaller volumes and disperse it more efficiently. A slick tyre will need to disperse all the water immediately to keep in contact with the road.

Like slapping the water with fingers together will hurt more than slapping it with your fingers apart.

I got O level Physics Thumbs Up

Post #5156855th Sep 2009 12:15 am
Zermatt Vulgaris

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Go on wikipedia and search aquaplanning..in the references there is a paper written by NASA..Langley Research centre 1963....pretty much covers it with equations..

basically they had concerns about big aeroplanes aquaplanning and they weigh more than 2.7 tons.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2011MY Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0 TDV6

Post #5156865th Sep 2009 12:24 am
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I think what it all comes down to is that stock D3 tires aren't all that great Confused
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #5156945th Sep 2009 1:47 am
Bogblaster

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Having owned D3's for 5 years now I can aonly agree with the serial tyre swappers!

Standard tyres can be hairy, as they are not biased to any particular environment.

MTR's will displace water due to the monstrous gaps in between the blocks.

My favourite tyre in the wet, and I would like to think that I have a fair amount of experience of driving them in the wet (2500 miles accross Europe in abysmal conditions in 10 days to start with) is the Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme. Very stable at speed, fantastic grip at lower temps and in snow and ice, and due to the large amount of sipes in the tyre the water displacement is amazing.

AndrewS did a fair amount of google research into winter tyres a while back and that thread is well worth reading.

DG hits the nail on the head though, common sense should prevail.

BB
 D4 HSE Luxury SDV6,
Cameras, tow assist
Defender 90 Adventure
A4 Avant 3.0l TDI Twisted Evil
CLUB MTR
CLUB BLACK ALLOY
CLUB FFRR RIMS
CLUB VREDESTEIN WINTRAC 4 EXTREME 

Post #5157205th Sep 2009 9:09 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Also all things being equal, higher tyre pressures will increase the speed at which hydroplaning commences. Something about hydroplaning speed being proportional to the square root of the tyre pressure (memory of some equations of 30 yrs ago Whistle ). Here is sandy Western Oz, we apply this principle in reverse and lower tyre pressure to float on sand (ie, hydroplane on sand).
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #5165697th Sep 2009 5:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >