Auto gearbox not engaging
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Still seems mighty strange that a faulty bulb can affect a gearbox Shocked

Post #1980922nd Sep 2007 12:00 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Simon....& others

Simon - I agree with your both your statements....if the on-board electronics modules are susceptible to the intermittent "switching" of something else they cant be that well stabilized.
I find that somewhat incredible as most modern (& I take Disco3 to be that) besides being designed to independent of transients (voltage fluctuations) have all sorts of surge protection (diodes usually) in circuit just for that purpose.
If brake lamp bulbs or other bulbs for that matter have such a drastic effect I would imagine lots of other Disco 3 owners opinions of a Disco 3 have just been altered radically...it means the electronics are pretty flakey.

Is it possible that faults have been had or recorded where a "gremlin" cause unknown has occurred & attributed to a brake lamp globe (coincidence).

DND3 - Got the thread of the "engine fault" limp home mode code display - note taken

Gareth - affirmative! one & the same.

I find this thread very interesting my misspent past in the 90's was being employed by a company that specialized in designing & making surge protection & rectification diodes for volume automotive applications - part of the old Lucas (Joseph - the man who invented darkness) empire - subsequently owned by Transpo & Delphi. Come Monday I will speak to one particular buddy who was their engineering manager. I respect his technical knowledge on automotive electronics matters - especially voltage transients (spikes)
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Last edited by BLFarrar on 2nd Sep 2007 12:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1981162nd Sep 2007 2:49 am
Donald

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for replies - I'm also suspecting a selector issue. The car has all original bulbs and I've just checked they are all working - so that should rule that one out. Have just sat in the car with drive selected and can rev up to 5000 rpm - don't want to go over while stationery, then foot on brake into park, into drive and it will pull away on tick over!
Looks like a dealer visit on Monday.

Post #1981522nd Sep 2007 12:15 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
DND3

I tried the brake & accelerate trick - yes I get the same error message - this immediately goes out whan you release the brake pedal....

Donald - Any further news on the original fault....
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #1986363rd Sep 2007 11:09 pm
Donald

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Due to work I couldn't get to the dealers until today. Car was left with them at 8.30 and I drove off in a loan Range Rover V8 HSE, at 1 oclock they phoned to say it was ready. A link on the gear selector cable was starting to sieze and prevent engagement fully. Appently it is a known fault and there is a modified cable to cure this, which they had in stock and fitted. They also gave the car a brake / steering / suspension / tyre check and a full valet all free gratius. Well done Macrae & Dick, Inverness
Thanks to all who offersd susgestions, and I hope this helps anyone else who experiences a similiar problem.

Post #1988734th Sep 2007 7:09 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

90BHP wrote:
Left foot braking on an 07 MY manual brings up the message " Engine fault " or similar. Bit of a bummer when I regularly do this, especially after a bit of Fording !
shouldn't do that - there's a software patch to overcome the issue - TSB number is LTB00025 and applies to VIN-range: 5A300394-5A413980
VIN-range: 7A413982-7A426404 strangely 06MY's seem ok Confused

Post #1989944th Sep 2007 10:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >