Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Auto gearbox not engaging
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Donald

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Auto gearbox not engaging

Any ideas or experiences please? About 6 times this afternoon, sitting at traffic lights, box in neutral, change into drive and no go - engine just reved. Back to park then drive to get it to go. Also at two junctions braking from 30 in drive to turn right the car changed down but then left me in neutral, requiring a change into park then back to drive.
Dealer will get a visit on Monday, but I'd like some thoughts.

Post #1979991st Sep 2007 7:24 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I'm only making a comparison - it may be relevant or it might not (but here it is anyway)...I'm sure one of the technical genii will enlighten us...

Disco II's had a "get you home mode" that when engaged (for a whole bunch of reasons - mine was defective in tank fuel pump) it had the same effect - no drive, even though car in "drive" engine running etc. The engine runs at tick over speed & the accelerator pedal depression has no effect.
The impression I got was the the accelerator pedal felt somehow "empty" & if pressed didnt raise the engine revs. On the Disco II no warning light for this

As with you fault the fault came & went - very embarrassing at traffic lights as there is begger all you can do...
I actually got used to it on motorways - which was a bit of an accomplishment - my Disco II (the first one I had about 2001 vintage) was on a journey from Bath (the place - not the bathroom fitting) to Halifax.

The Halifax dealer had trouble getting it from the car park into the workshop !!

I will watch the thread....in my case the get you home mode was over 300 miles
It would be good to know if the get you home mode/s actually have a warning message flag up on the display

Hope you get it sorted
Good Luck !
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Last edited by BLFarrar on 1st Sep 2007 9:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1980001st Sep 2007 8:07 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Donald, my auto has just started to behave similar. IIRC I saw a thread about this a while back and there is I believe a TSB for it - just can not find the post. When mine does it if I move the auto lever slightly it engages properly. I'll have the dealer have a look at it when it goes in for its next service (got a 30 day countdown message today).

I have not had it change into neutral whilst driving yet Surprised does that and it will have to go into the dealers a bit sooner Rolling Eyes
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #1980041st Sep 2007 8:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think its a simple cable adjustment.

Post #1980101st Sep 2007 8:59 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Selector cable needs adjustment. There is a TSB that covers this, but blowed if I can remember the details. Your dealer will know and LRA are able to make a fix the selector at the roadside if you get stuck.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1980111st Sep 2007 9:00 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Woah! spooky..... Mr. Green
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1980121st Sep 2007 9:01 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like a possible selector cable adjustment problem to me, but unusual if it has only just started to occur today, I would think it would have shown gradual evidence over a longer period. Have you had any brake light filament problems recently? because faults with these can make the auto box do some wierd things. I haven't tried this recently so forgive me if I'm wrong, but if you drive the car normally in drive and dab your other foot (lightly) on the brake while accelerating, you will probably find it won't change up and you'll get a fault message up, having dodgy(not necessarily blown) brake light bulbs, or inferior quality bulbs, can cause odd things to happen without any input from you, other than driving it as you would.

Last edited by DN on 1st Sep 2007 9:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1980131st Sep 2007 9:01 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

I've had quite a few break light bulbs blow lately Evil or Very Mad The passenger side twice (last time about 6 months ago) and then the drivers side about 5 times all within days of the new replacement bulb being fitted. Last time it went, the car was due in at the dealer anyway so told them what was happening, they told me that there is a known problem with the brake light switch causing the bulbs to overheat and then blow. Their instructions from Land Rover were to replace both break light bulbs (with genuine LR replacment bulbs), depending on how long they last and if they look like they had overheated they could then replace the switch (think thats what I was told)
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #1980171st Sep 2007 9:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

OK I take the possibility of the selector cable being out of kilter as being the most likely one - but agree it would have other effects & a question is the setting so critical that a smidgeon out will cause loss of drive ?

The mention of brake light globe filaments having an effect.....I have to ask why this would get to the control of the box & make it lose power transmission...when you think how an auto is driven i.e. you swap from the accelerator to the brake pedal at will as part of normal driving.
If a dodgy brake light globe is there when you actually brake it means the light will either not come on at all or intermittently come on much the same as pressing the brake pedal on & off quickly.
If the globe filaments are so critical - what is the effect of fitting LED bulbs? which I would like to do but am cautious if this may have knock on effects.
As the Disco doesn't have bulb failure warnings (or does it) I wouldn't have thought this relevant at all..

The test of pressing the brake pedal whilst accelerating may invoke other systems...it should "load" the vehicle & cause the box to change down (or at least it does on a not so electronic auto from some years ago). I will try this on my OK Disco 3 & will report back as to what actually happens

I'm really interested in this the outcome of this thread / fault as in the past I have had to adjust the auto selector linkage on my first Disco II (& other vehicles mainly Volvos with Borg Warner & Aisin Warner boxes)
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #1980201st Sep 2007 9:24 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

BLFarrar wrote:
The mention of brake light globe filaments having an effect.....I have to ask why this would get to the control of the box & make it lose power transmission...

Hi Bruce, (still don't know if that's your real name Smile )

If I remember correctly, faulty or blown brake lights (amongst a million or so other things) can cause havoc with the D3's electronics, causing the car to put itself into limp home mode, often dropping the car onto its bump stops and messing about with the auto box too. (I think this is flagged to the driver via the message centre in the instrument cluster)

This is probably what DND was talking about, although my money is on the selector cable being out of adjustment too - the actual movement/difference between each 'gear' is very small when selected from the bottom part of the gearlever, so yes....a small error and you would probably give these symptoms easily....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #1980321st Sep 2007 9:42 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Oh and BL Farrar, if you're out testing your car,I meant LIGHTLY on the brake pedal, not enough to load the gearbox...........The chap was asking for ideas, as I said, the most likely thing is selector cable out of adjustment, but I thought I'd mention the other things too, as I believe they may be relevant, but I agree that it should not cause the box to drop into neutral of it's own accord.

Post #1980441st Sep 2007 10:18 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Left foot braking on an 07 MY manual brings up the message " Engine fault " or similar. Bit of a bummer when I regularly do this, especially after a bit of Fording !
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #1980481st Sep 2007 10:31 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Does on an 05 model too Wink

Post #1980511st Sep 2007 10:34 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

How does a brake light blown or dodgy filament cause issue with the gearbox ??

The wiring so poor that electrical interference from a dodgy bulb can cause a completely different system to fail or misbehave ?

Not saying it isn't the cause, but just very intrigued as to how this could happen.

Post #1980591st Sep 2007 10:43 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

I'm no expert Si, but I suppose the g/box ecu receives / sends signals from / to umpteen other components,and if it sees a fault or improper input from the brake syst, it may well cause the g/box to misbehave, it's a D3, it does as it likes. Laughing.......I've no doubt TFC will give a much more knowledgeable explanation.

Post #1980781st Sep 2007 11:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >