Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

B****y EPB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
camelrock

England 
B****y EPB

We took the caravan out this week parked up on the site Monday and didn't use the car till Tuesday night only the epb wouldn't release, recycled the ignition, tried rocking the car back and forth no good. Tried holing the switch down with foot on the brake, turned ign on and seemed to clear. Parked car in gear that night. Next morning red H/B warning light flashing and yellow H/B light staying on. Went up road started getting a really bad vibration throught the whole car felt like a wheel was falling off. Pulled over and found N/S/R wheel was hot. Local stealer was only 4 miles away and the vibration got less and the wheel stopped getting hot by the time we arrived, they where to busy to connect the comp though they did try another switch just in case. They thought that the brake lining had come away on the N/S/R and was jaming causing the vibration which got less as the lining was warn away.
Anyhow have spent the rest of the week with a yellow warning light on and no hand brake .... Does the H/B mod shut down when the yellow light is on and need resetting with the comp, there's not messages in the mes centre and the H/B mod was not noisey..

Post #62801126th Mar 2010 9:14 pm
KevB

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My N/S/R calliper seized at the same time my EPB brake failed (probably coincidence). The wheel was very hot and the car felt like it was being held back. The message centre informed me that the EPB had failed and I had the screaming sound. I hope its not as bad for you as it cost me over £900 to put right.

Kev

Post #62807526th Mar 2010 10:35 pm
camelrock

England 

I pulled down the N/S/R brake today expecting to find a lining to have come adrift but all was well so cleaned out and readjusted. Connected our diagnostics and got a fault code U0100 lost com with ECM/PCM A missing message, cleared this fault and retried H/B still the same. Checked engine ECU found a fault code U0128 lost com with PCM cleared fault codes and H/B has returned hopefully a 1 off either that or the start off some electronic head aches !!!!!

Post #62846227th Mar 2010 11:54 pm
camelrock

England 

Well I've got the electronic head aches. H/B back to being in-op. Cannot com with the PCM then intermittently the H/B will work and you can com with the PCM, there are no fault codes logged in the PCM. I've undone the connecter on the modual and the 2 on the N/S chassis rail and cleaned with contact cleaner also checked along that part of the harness, seems ok, none of this has made any difference to the H/B.
Where is the H/B ECU ??
I don't think it the modual as it sounds fine when it does work, are there any trouble spots in the wiring ???
Any help would be appreciated

Ian

P.S. had to use the emgencey cable under the console, when I tried this again later it didn't work, so can you only use it once then it need resettin/refitting, how do you do it ???

Post #62872828th Mar 2010 7:58 pm
Bob.

United Kingdom 

IIRC after using the emergency release you have to operate the EPB switch twice to get the internals of the unit back to normal - then presumably you can use the emergency release again.

Post #62878828th Mar 2010 9:13 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Check the wiring underneath the car that go to the EPB module. They're quite exposed so can be seen easily.

Look for a kink in the wires and broken/cracked insulation. You'll have to look closely as the wires are very thin and damage is very difficult to spot. Any cracks in the insulation lets in moisture and the conducting wires inside the cable then corrode. Doesn't take much to cause them to stop conducting a signal to the EPB module and from the symptoms you describe, this could well be the problem with your car.

This has happened to me twice now.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #62893129th Mar 2010 10:29 am
camelrock

England 

Thanks Albourneboy I have looked at this wiring and the insulation doesn't look its best, may need to give it a closer look, I didn't see any kinks in it though !!!

Post #62929729th Mar 2010 10:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >