Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Battery charging a D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Battery charging a D4

Hi all, I am on a fast learning curve here so sorry for lots of questions that may have been asked in the forum but I just havent found them yet or as in the case of battery charging have no idea what they mean.

So my D4 will get regular use twice on a Sunday for 20mins each time and will be started 2 or 3 times during those runs. It may get used on a Saturday a bit to go to the pictures or something. Usually a max is 4k miles per year.

So I have a battery charger that I first used on my Vauxhall Magnum in the 80’s. It has served me well on every car I have owned except for my 12 plate Mondeo that has never needed a charge. Now I caught something that said you cannot use an ordinary charger on a D4 battery because it it something special. I have looked at loads of posts on here and I am even more comfused by BMS, ARK batteries, CCL’s and resets with II2’s

So for a dunce can you tell me A) can I use old faithful or not. B) do I connect to the positive terminal on the battery then an earth point on the body. C) what is that big slab of metal on the negative terminal?
D) what on earth do the abbreviations mean or should I not think about them

Thanks
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂 

Last edited by charlietortoise on 20th Jun 2018 5:49 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #195562220th Jun 2018 5:41 pm
TigerRecovery

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

You can get a CTEK Battery conditioner and a plug that will connect to the trailer wiring if fitted. This will allow the battery to remain conditioned when not in use.
 1972 Range Rover Classic 2 door V8
2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SCRAPPED
2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark
2022 Volvo XC40 T5 PHEV 282HP FWD 3 cylinder! 

Post #195562320th Jun 2018 5:44 pm
charlietortoise

Thanks, just had a look. Pricey little blighters arnt they. Could be the job though. My D2 never had a problem with this driving regime however the new to me D4 sounds like it is very draining on the battery.
Post #195562720th Jun 2018 6:28 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It is not recommended to use a conventional battery charger on a Discovery, definitely not on a GSM type battery or without disconnecting the leads, you need a pulse charger, it can be used without removing the battery terminals, as already stated through the rear white tow plug is the best method. A fully charged battery wil last much longer than a part charged battery.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #195564520th Jun 2018 8:44 pm
Houghta

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I am very interested in the lead for a ck conditioner (as I have a ck conditioner)to plug into the trailer electrics, can anyone point me in the direction of one of these,I have looked on the ck website but can’t see one (though I don’t really know exactly what I am looking for)
Also do you actually plug it into your 13 pin trailer socket?
Thanks

Post #195564920th Jun 2018 8:52 pm
Dudleydisco

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

A:You’d be better with a CTEK - MXS10 seems the most popular choice.
B:Yes, +ve to the battery, -ve to a chassis earth, NOT the battery!
C:Big slab of metal on the -ve terminal has the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) connected to it.
D:Knowing what the abbreviations mean can be useful Wink

Things have moved on since the 1980’s and a D4 has loads of very sensitive electronics in it. Chargers like the CTEK are designed to handle these, whereas the older chargers don’t!

BMS-Battery Monitoring System- the vehicle monitors the state of charge of the battery and adapts the output of the alternator to charge the battery in the most efficient way depending of the age of the battery.
AGM Battery- Adsorbent Glass Matt - the electrolyte in the battery is held in a glass fibre mat between the plates. This allows for faster charging of the battery.
CCF-Car Configuration File - software within the vehicle which specifies what it has and what facilities it’s allowed to use. You also need to have the hardware for some features to work!
IID- A diagnostics tool from GAP Diagnostics. Brilliant bit of kit that allows you view and clear faults, view live data and edit the CCF. For instance, if you put a new battery in the vehicle, the vehicle’s BMS needs to know you’ve done it. This can be done with the IID and is referred to as a BMS reset!

Hope this helps!
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
D4 MY13 HSE Lux - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting
110 - Even sadder parting
S3 88" - Still going strong after 23 years of ownership Smile

Post #195565020th Jun 2018 8:53 pm
Dudleydisco

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Houghta wrote:
I am very interested in the lead for a ck conditioner (as I have a ck conditioner)to plug into the trailer electrics, can anyone point me in the direction of one of these,I have looked on the ck website but can’t see one (though I don’t really know exactly what I am looking for)
Thanks

http://www.disco4.com/shop/index.php
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
D4 MY13 HSE Lux - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting
110 - Even sadder parting
S3 88" - Still going strong after 23 years of ownership Smile

Post #195565120th Jun 2018 8:54 pm
charlietortoise

Hi Everyone, the info is useful and appreciated. I feel like I have just landed in the space age with this D4!
Post #195566420th Jun 2018 9:13 pm
Houghta

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Dudleydisco wrote:
Houghta wrote:
Thanks

http://www.disco4.com/shop/index.php

Thank you Dudleydisco your a gent Thumbs Up

Post #195566920th Jun 2018 9:21 pm
charlietortoise

CTEK Charger

So I have bought the MX10. It says there is a battery rejuvination function. Is it worth doing this the first time as I have no idea the battery age/status. Can this be done with the battery connected? Thank you

Last edited by charlietortoise on 4th Jul 2018 3:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19599044th Jul 2018 1:17 pm
DrewLR4

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Just got myself an IID tool and in some instances they recommend the battery being on charge during updates. Would a CTEK plugged in via the tow electrics via the adapter mentioned earlier in this link do the required job?

And is the CTEK 5.0 sufficient? I know the 10 would be best choice but would rather not shell out for the 10 if the 5 is capable.
 IID Tool
Disco 1 tdi traded up
Disco 1 V8 LPG traded up
RR P38 V8 LPG Melted
Disco 2 tdi - Divorce settlement
Shocking amount of mid life crisis sports cars.
X5 - Bad decision
Jeep Liberty - Now in Cyprus
Crisis over and back in a Disco 

Post #19599354th Jul 2018 2:05 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Re: CTEK Charger

charlietortoise wrote:
So I have bought the MX10. It says there is a battery rejuvination function. Is it worth doing this the first time as I have no idea the battery age/status. Can this be done with the battery connected? Thank you

If your battery is an AGM then DO NOT use the reconditioning function. There's far less liquid electrolyte in an AGM battery and the CTEK recond mode tries to make the electrolyte fizz to de stratify it and consequently can dry an AGM battery out. The D4 came standard with an AGM battery from about 2012, but the battery label will tell you.
Yes you can charge the battery when it's connected but connect the negative charger lead to an earth point and not direct to the battery. This will keep the Battery Monitoring System up to date with charging history.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #19611327th Jul 2018 11:45 pm
ItSmee

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

DrewLR4 wrote:
Just got myself an IID tool and in some instances they recommend the battery being on charge during updates. Would a CTEK plugged in via the tow electrics via the adapter mentioned earlier in this link do the required job?

And is the CTEK 5.0 sufficient? I know the 10 would be best choice but would rather not shell out for the 10 if the 5 is capable.

The MXS 10 has a supply mode which provides a constant 10A supply which should be used when programming with the IID. The MXS 5 does not have this supply feature, although the MXS 7 does and should be priced between the 5 and 10.

Post #196918431st Jul 2018 5:03 am
Bardley

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Optimate 6 select charger/supply/maintainer option

I've used the Optimate range of chargers for years now, and have bikes left permanently on charge using their units.
I've found them very user friendly, and have a large range of accessories and mounting options.

They also sell chargers that have a supply function: The Opimate 6 select.

Other units may suit needs, as they sell all sorts of DC/DC ( battery to battery) chargers too.
Made in Uk: very good advice and customer service.

https://www.optimate.co.uk
 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #196919831st Jul 2018 8:06 am
FISHBOY

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Dudleydisco wrote:
A:You’d be better with a CTEK - MXS10 seems the most popular choice.
B:Yes, +ve to the battery, -ve to a chassis earth, NOT the battery!
C:Big slab of metal on the -ve terminal has the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) connected to it.
D:Knowing what the abbreviations mean can be useful Wink

Things have moved on since the 1980’s and a D4 has loads of very sensitive electronics in it. Chargers like the CTEK are designed to handle these, whereas the older chargers don’t!

BMS-Battery Monitoring System- the vehicle monitors the state of charge of the battery and adapts the output of the alternator to charge the battery in the most efficient way depending of the age of the battery.
AGM Battery- Adsorbent Glass Matt - the electrolyte in the battery is held in a glass fibre mat between the plates. This allows for faster charging of the battery.
CCF-Car Configuration File - software within the vehicle which specifies what it has and what facilities it’s allowed to use. You also need to have the hardware for some features to work!
IID- A diagnostics tool from GAP Diagnostics. Brilliant bit of kit that allows you view and clear faults, view live data and edit the CCF. For instance, if you put a new battery in the vehicle, the vehicle’s BMS needs to know you’ve done it. This can be done with the IID and is referred to as a BMS reset!

Hope this helps!

Top banana Thumbs Up
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #196937031st Jul 2018 4:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >