Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Battery discharged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Quote:
The earth lead was slightly warm when I took the old one off but I'm not sure that means anything?

it might be a clue ... if the other end of it is connected to a bit of body that's rusting. never looked at mine so if it goes to engine and not body, check it's tight.

Post #20667357th Jul 2019 9:21 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

omg! wrote:
Thanks for all your help guys.

The car wouldn't start after it was apparently fully charged so I swapped the battery out for a spare I have. It started fine and ran at 14.4v with the engine running initially and dropping to 13.98v after a short time. So that looks as if the alternator is OK?

Engine off it settled at about 12.8v after 15 minutes.

I can't see any date markings on the battery but my Tayna account says I bought it 29/12/2014

Funny thing is that the battery I took off increased it's voltage while lying on the garage floor! I'm guessing that's because while it was connected there was some drain on it by the systems that hadn't gone to sleep?

The earth lead was slightly warm when I took the old one off but I'm not sure that means anything?

The cold cranking amps(CCA) cannot be tested with a Multy Meter (MM), only the voltage , it is the CCA that provide the power to turn the engine over, but you need the voltage to get the CCA.
It is quite common for an old battery to show over 12.75 volts on a mm but will not have sufficient CCA to turn the engine over, a good battery showing 12.75 volts is only half charged.
If the earth connection is warm it has a poor connection, clean the battery post and inside the cable terminal if it still gets warm after cranking with the new battery, starter motors use more power than all the other electrical devices put together.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20667848th Jul 2019 8:21 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi M3DPO

Do u think these apps are any good plse, reason I ask is I fitted a box to mine to monitor the battery voltage , allowing me to know when I need to plug my ctek back in

Battery was low and went through it and done there crank test

Just wondered if that can be considered an accurate test plse

Apologises as always for asking the daft questions but just know ur very knowledgeable and always prefer to ask

Enclosed some screen shots when the battery was low

Then rechecked it whilst charging and soon after I removed the charger , have twin batteries so don’t know if that makes any difference

Many thks as always in advance Bow down

Post #20667988th Jul 2019 9:18 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I would have expected the cranking voltage to be higher on a good battery

Post #20668108th Jul 2019 9:59 am
gstuart

Hi

Must admit Battery was quite low when I done that , to be fair really need to do it again with fully charged batteries to see how they compare Thumbs Up

Post #20669068th Jul 2019 3:54 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I’ve no experience or knowledge of these apps, the information it is giving is interesting but probably no more accurate than a simple £5ish plug in the power socket(cigar lighter) volt meter that usually also have 1 or 2 usb charger outlets and can be left plugged in permanently.
The battery figures look ok, the only comment is if the voltage whist cranking drops below 9 volts it will throw faults up in the system, i.e. special programs off, clock time lost, normal height only, etc. an engine restart and/or a hard reset after the engine has had a few minutes to put some power back into the battery will usually clear them. Thumbs Up
It is unlikely for a battery charged with the alternator to show more than a 12.8volts, to go above this figure it needs to be on a smart battery charger, but a battery showing these charge rates will not necessarily have full specified CCA.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Last edited by M3DPO on 8th Jul 2019 10:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #20670108th Jul 2019 10:14 pm
gstuart

Many thks

Will be interesting to see what figures I get after I fully charge the batteries

Funny enough these are the readings I’m getting with the engine running, aux battery wire isn’t connected to the gauge yet , I did plug the cheap volt meter in and surprised of how accurate it is

With the engine off it reads 12.8 Vdc

Many thks as always and very interesting about the fault below 9Vdc Bow down

Ps, that box just works via Bluetooth via my iPhone , just helps me monitor the main battery and when to recharge it

Post #20670138th Jul 2019 10:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >