Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Battery maintenance when car not used.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
4play

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Battery maintenance when car not used.

Hi, I may be not using the car ( 2013 D4 ) for 6/7 weeks. I read about people keeping the battery charged using the tow socket but not sure that this can be done with a D4?? Otherwise what are the implications of disconnecting the battery? Also at the last service the front brake pads ( not discs ) were changed and immediately the car shudders under higher speed heavy braking, fortunately only have to do this very occasionally, which wasn’t there at all before. Normal driving is ok. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post #23356335th May 2023 8:17 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Hello,

Welcome as I've not seen your 24 previous posts but clearly you recognise the value of the forum, it has helped me enormously in ways I had no idea when I joined.

I can't help definitely on the braking other than to say the brakes don't sound bedded in well... search on here for more.

In terms of the battery my 2014 D4 has been through most situations. 6/7 weeks is a while but probably Ok. Yes, there is an ability to charge via the towing socket and it is my preferred manner so to do when mine is parked in the garage for more than 6 weeks. Socket chargers were available from the forum shop but supply issues seem to have curtailed that. You can find EBay variants but I have no knowledge of those...

I also run CTEK battery monitors on both my main and stop start batteries. You can find those on EBay and they will give you some confidence as to the state of the battery when stored.

I'd personally not disconnect the battery, I think that will cause more issues than you think it prevents. Others may know more.

Good luck...

Thumbs Up
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #23356566th May 2023 12:54 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If the battery is in good condition and you don't have any electric mods fitted like a tracker or remote heater switch fitted you will be OK, but if you are leaving it away from a charging point I would disconnect one lead of the battery, you will lose some minor settings but nothing that can't easily be restored.
From experience I am a great believer in disconnecting the battery for safety as it is a source of fire even if at home in a garage particularly if electric mods have been fitted by anyone.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #23356616th May 2023 5:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >