Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

[BBS] 4X4 INFO Screen Activation; How To Video.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
[BBS] 4X4 INFO Screen Activation; How To Video.

I guess most interested in Activating additional features in their vehicles software, will have seen these two before and after pictures that Wiggs posted about a week ago of the 4X4 info screen being enabled.

BEFORE

AFTER

He did some others and if you missed it, the full thread is here.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic32772.html.

He also did a review on his new equipment here
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic32824.html

For those interested in seeing how this is actually done however, rather than just the before and after photos, i thought i might knock up a video showing the exact process. This also includes the back up procedure and a demo of returning things to how they were.
The video is totally as is, it is a single contiguous shot, and it's a little on the large size (about 40MB) so it might take a minute or two to download. I left it like that on purpose because i wanted to keep the resolution high enough so that the lettering on the screen etc was as visible as possible and it could be seen as a true real time event. The whole sequence only lasts about a 3 and a half minutes.

Here it is
http://www.Blackbox-solutions.com/download...D3CCF3.AVI

For those interested we are almost finished developing this software for general release, maybe a day or two more.

And may I add my warmest thanks to everybody who has PM'd me to express their appreciation and interest in our efforts.

Post #4479981st Apr 2009 3:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Seems pretty damn simple Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #4480091st Apr 2009 3:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Colin, to save people having to download a 40MB file it might be worth uploading the file to YouTube or Google Video and sharing the link Smile

Post #4480151st Apr 2009 3:36 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks Bodsy. You may recall the first version of the CCF edit, which was a separate windows application.
There were a couple of steps edited out of that and while it worked, it was terribly clumsy. We could have just gone ah well, but the point is that we specialize in providing equipment for the private enthusiast DIY guy. People who are not necessarily also computer geeks or accomplished diagnostic experts. So being super easy to use is our number one priority, Followed by the ability to store the settings and configuration and put them back.

Yea Martin, Thumbs Up
I will be doing that, but i tend to find that the You Tube compression looses a lot of resolution, but then the gist of it is more easily obtained i guess, and it could act as a preview. I did record it in HD, with a resultant 100MB file and no matter how i tried to compress it, the results were still > 30 MB but were really poor quality. maybe i need lessons from DiscoStu Bow down

Post #4480511st Apr 2009 4:51 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Good vid. Looks simple and straight forward.

I've been watching this with interest since Wiggs first post.

Post #4481051st Apr 2009 7:04 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

looks good, and easy Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #4481101st Apr 2009 7:13 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Nice work Colin.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #4481491st Apr 2009 8:23 pm
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've downloaded the video but cannot view it. I get audio but I only see the Windows wavy stuff on the display. Happening on both work and home PCs. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Post #4481761st Apr 2009 9:06 pm
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

gaza download VLC player, its free and plays pretty much all files.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

pom

Post #4481811st Apr 2009 9:10 pm
andychelt

United Kingdom 

Some top work BBS Thumbs Up

Looks like even I might be able to do it Whistle

Was chatting to the Stratstones service guy yesterday about editing the CCF and asked whether they would reset a modified CCF during servicing as I know some people raised the issue.

He said he wouldn't of thought they would reset it during servicing even if the car tells tales about what you've been up to Laughing I told him the reason for my Q. and he said that it sounds like some "really interesting stuff" and said it was good to see some "clever" people pushing the boundaries Thumbs Up

Post #4481971st Apr 2009 9:44 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks guys, As you can see, we do make it as fool proof and easy as we can, we really do appreciate that it needs to be like that.
And as you can see, any idiot can have a bit of a play, absolutely 100% confident and assured that they can always go back to the start and try again. No body knows everything there is to know about all this stuff, including us, but at least we give all the tools required to experiment and learn in confidence, and as we have said, we may well provide the raw tools, but its its down to the sharing communal spirit of forums like this and its enterprising members that can really make the difference. As you can see, Wiggs is having the most fun he ever had with his vehicle and we would never have allowed him to put his bread and butter daily transport at risk.

The CCF data is in a separate part of memory to the regular flash software, so unlike with re mapping of the EMS, a regular sw update procedure, even to the instrument cluster, would not automatically cause it to be over written. and since we provide the capability to copy the same new data into the two other scratch copies, only the original as build data for the vehicle would show up as having any differences.

Frankly any dealer is used to seeing that there are differences between the cars current 3 CCF data blocks and the AS BUILT data pulled in from their disk, as even a service reset causes the CCF to be updated, albeit only with the programmed time and date, that it stores and the check sum. That has never been a cause for them to resurrect he cars 3 CCF data blocks to match the AS BUILD data, although we acknowledge that they could do that if they wanted.

But look, in a rare glimpsed insight of my complete attitude to this sort or conundrum, which in fact is the entire driving force behind why i run a company that does what we do to start with.
I should express that at the end of the day, we / i have a bit of an attitude here that it is after all damned well your car, you bloody well paid for it, and all the technical capability that it has is yours to own and do what the hell you want with. Its software and capability is something that you rightly own and you should not be governed and forced into accepting how that technology now benefits you or not by the cars original manufacturer.

It absolutely makes my blood boil that the Disco 3 contains so much self diagnostic capability, yet the person who benefits the least from that built in capability is the owner who paid for it and owns it.

Your Stratstones guy sounds like a switched on cookie, and certainly my own one on one experience with dealers echos exactly the same message, they get their hands tied behind their backs too. And many would love the ability to do such things themselves.

So for me, going into a dealer for a service or work to be done, and stating, oh by the way I have had MY CCF data customized on MY car to suit ME and i don't want it changed back to how LR thinks they would like it to be, is a perfectly reasonable statement.

Perhaps a political hot potato, or just my take on it, i do not know, And it would certainly be an interesting debate. But i do know that owning a BBS system allows ME to choose what I want the settings to be on MY Disco 3, regardless of what LR wish or think.

Last edited by BBS SPY on 2nd Apr 2009 7:38 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4482371st Apr 2009 10:52 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

BBS SPY wrote:
.As you can see, Wiggs is having the most fun he ever had with his vehicle and we would never have allowed him to put his bread and butter daily transport at risk.

Certainly am Thumbs Up

Its things like this i get excited about

Click image to enlarge

Yes it would be great to be able to push a button and it worked first time ...but i like a challenge ..and this to me says yes it can be done ..,but we need a bit more tinkering
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #4482451st Apr 2009 11:08 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Brilliantly simple procedure! The 4x4 Display is the one feature that I would really like to have. As I plan to keep my SE for as long as economically possible, this looks to be the solution Thumbs Up
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #4482792nd Apr 2009 12:05 am
POINTYED

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

HI
please keep us informed with availability and price
dunc Thumbs Up
 life is tooooo short.enjoy the moment.dont worry be happy

club BSS 

Post #4483292nd Apr 2009 5:49 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

wiggs wrote:
Its things like this i get excited about
Oooooh, you tease you! So what actually happens now when you put it in reverse? Does it switch to the rear camera display? Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #4483302nd Apr 2009 6:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >