Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Ben Nevis Rescue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Now in the UK there is a general consensus that the NHS is paid for out of general taxation and is free of charge at the point of treatment.

Now the NHS used to be able to charge for carriage of patients from a road traffic collision to hospital.

A friend of mine got an invoice from the NHS, for a cyclist who had t boned his car. As a car driver should be insured the rationale is that the driver can pass the invoice on to their insurer. A bit harsh when the driver is not at fault but the cyclist is. This was under the Road Traffic (NHS Charges) Act which has been repealed.

Now the NHS has a Cost Recovery Scheme and according to government guide lines

Quote:

The idea behind the scheme is that those responsible for causing injury to others should meet the cost of NHS treatment. NHS costs are recovered only where personal injury compensation is paid, for example after a road traffic accident. Funds recovered come primarily from a third-party compensator or insurer.

I do not know if the NHS are still charging for ambulance journeys from a RTC to a hospital.

So it may not be an exact parallel but should an air ambulance/rescue helicopter costs be recovered if at all possible in the event of a mountain/caving type incident?

It is good to see that those rescued on Ben Nevis has dug into their pockets a little bit so Thumbs Up to that

Brendan

Post #212065612th Feb 2020 7:38 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

More than ambulance charges.

Post #212065912th Feb 2020 7:53 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Regardless of points i have already made as to why charging etc should be stepped on and ridiculed.

The simple fact is this.

We PAY our TAXES to cover rescue services.

AND

People, experts, VOLUNTEER to rescue ANYONE that needs it

Thats really where this starts and stops.

As another example...i think its stupid...dangerous even, to move around at greater than walking speed without a metal shell and airbags, so therefore all Cyclists are fools and should pay treble the car taxes/fees and definitely pay for any rescue or injury they are involved in...
 Mike  
Post #212070612th Feb 2020 10:43 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

^Exactly. Thumbs Up

Should smokers be treated on the NHS for smoking related illnesses and cancer?

As I keep saying, where do you draw the line?
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #212070712th Feb 2020 10:55 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

mse wrote:

We PAY our TAXES to cover rescue services.

AND

People, experts, VOLUNTEER to rescue ANYONE that needs it

Thats really where this starts and stops.

Please tell me which Mountain Rescue Team are PAID out of taxes to carry out rescues.

Please tell me which Cave Rescue Team are Paid out of taxes to carry out rescues.

Please tell me how much money the UK government gives Yorkshire Air Ambulance when they stated that they are a charity and the bulk of their annual income comes from public donations, gifts and wills.

Yes HMRC may give some money to these RESCUE SERVICES by way of income tax paid on donations from the public if donations given by gift aid.

The UK mountain and cave rescue teams and air ambulances are charities who get the vast majority of their income from donations by the general public and are not paid out of UK general taxation.

Local councils may give small grants to their local rescue teams.

Brendan

Post #212071412th Feb 2020 11:19 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Brendan

You need to read my earlier posts...but the point your incorrectly trying to make is covered by point 2 Thumbs Up
 Mike  
Post #212071712th Feb 2020 11:30 pm
mse

Oh and don’t forget RAF mountain rescue, coastguard, search and rescue now private...if they weren’t there tech rescue would need to step up
 Mike  
Post #212071812th Feb 2020 11:33 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

smokers pay tax on the fags and government are happy for that to continue...no tax on drugs and that's costing us a f...kin fortune and a lot of distress

Post #212071912th Feb 2020 11:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >