Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Been Blackthorned; tyre repair advice please.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Been Blackthorned; tyre repair advice please.

One of my Pirelli Zeros had a thorn from a Blackthorn bush straight through the tread (in the groove rather than the block) and it was seeping air at a rate of about 5PSI a day. I managed to remove the thorn even though it had splintered (I think this was making it act a bit like a straw/hyperdermic needle in letting the air out) and the leak has now dropped to about 2PSI per week. Now the question is, how should this be repaired? The hole is less than 1mm diameter, so I'm rather loath to have some grease monkey ram a huge reamer through it to repair it with a plug and risk damaging the steel cords whilst they are at it.

My insane mind says that some leather stitching thread loaded with rubber solution and fed into the hole with a sewing machine needle would do a more than adequate job, but before I do that is there an official/legal repair for this kind of minor puncture that doesn't involve killing the steelwork in the tyre with a reamer?

Any advice gladly received.

Thanks!
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #45683020th Apr 2009 1:07 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I don't know if it a legal repair but if the thorn stayed in and the tyre wasn't leaking is that legal then?
I would say as it is in the thread if you get it from stop leaking it would be OK.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #45687920th Apr 2009 2:35 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

What about the "slime" that's been discussed on here before for preventing punctures? That would seal up the leak and any future punctures.

I'd better say I haven't tried it myself - not too sure about what it does to balance, and whether it's safe at high speeds, but perhaps someone can answer that?

Understand what you mean about not wanting to make the hole bigger to put a plug in, but I've never heard of that causing problems (tyre places won't plug a hole that's too close to the sidewall).

Good luck! David

Post #45689620th Apr 2009 2:56 pm
Ken

Tyre latex Censored your chances of a quality Plug / Mushroom repair ,

If a plug is done right its fine

Post #45689920th Apr 2009 2:59 pm
alanwxr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Personally I'd take it for the professional repair without hesitation.

Just think what your insurance would say with a DIY repair if there was a blowout sometime in the future!

Post #45691220th Apr 2009 3:27 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Perfectly sound to plug tyre from inside with mushroom plug so long as it's not too close to sidewall, leave it to the pro's.

Andy.

Post #45758022nd Apr 2009 9:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

alanwxr wrote:
Personally I'd take it for the professional repair without hesitation.

That should rule out 'Krap Fit' then Rolling with laughter
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #45758722nd Apr 2009 10:12 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

AJS4X4 wrote:
Perfectly sound to plug tyre from inside with mushroom plug so long as it's not too close to sidewall, leave it to the pro's.

Ken, Andy, Are you convinced that this doesn't increase ply/cord damage in the tyre then? There's no way a thorn would have harmed the steel, but having seen the evil reamer used to make the hole big enough for a plug I find it hard to believe it doesn't cause some internal damage.

I'm playing devil's advocate here a bit 'cos the leak is in fact slowly sealing itself over time, but I'm still trying to understand how much of the tyres structural integrity is compromised by plugging it.
The reamer tool usually has quite sharp edges and is used to cut a bigger hole in the rubber/rayon whilst spreading the steel cords to make room for the mushroom, right? So if it whittles off some steel you now have a thinner section that would flex more and reduce time to metal fatigue induced failure. I guess the real question is how long this failure could take, 'cos if it's a lot more than the life of the tread then it's a mute point.

@alanwxr Not too sure that my proposed fix could lead to a blowout as I'd affect the steelwork less than a professional repair, however you are right that 'slugging' isn't recommended for on road/speed use here so there could be insurance implications.

@Albourneboy Too right! Laughing
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #45762422nd Apr 2009 12:27 pm
Ken

In answer as a rule we dont repair any tyres but thats just us

However as AJS states and I'll stand behind this leave it to the pro's to make the call wether to repair or not and let them do it

Good tyre place's want your repeat business so they wont rip you off selling you a tyre when they dont have to

Post #45763022nd Apr 2009 12:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >