United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

deleted

Last edited by catoperator on 14th Mar 2006 7:32 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4746413th Mar 2006 11:07 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Paul,

Whilst I appreciate your predicament, the front diff on the D3 is a very conventionally designed unit. It can easily be replaced and is most unlikely to have done any collateral damage. I am quite sure that Land Rover will be more than happy to fix it for you.

I suspect the reason that they are interested relates more to the rarity of your fault than anything else. Perhaps they are concerned about the superglue they use to seal the diff casing!

As to oil loss, it sounds like the oil may have been long gone.........and continuing to drive with a strong indicator that something is getting very hot is probably not the best thing to do. It is a testimony to the design and construction of the diff that you got as far as you did.

Post #4746613th Mar 2006 11:10 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Right, I'm calling time on this before it gets ugly (and no I'm not being personal!).

Pelyma did what he thought best at the time for him and the other occupants. He does not have to be scrutinised for his actions - he and his family and his dogs are safe and in a failing vehicle this is important.

It is always possible to quote cases where this would not have been the best choice, and say "what if?". We have heard both sides and I would appreciate if this is as far as it goes.

No more arguing on this topic will be accepted, please continue to discuss the differential failure by all means.

Thanks,

Martin
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #4746813th Mar 2006 11:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

FFS, do what's best at the time for you. Replacing the front diff / driveshafts / sump is hardly an issue, although it's unlikely to damage any other components as the oil in the sump will diffuse any additional heat generated. IMHO it's a one-off, big issue to Pelyma - as it would be to me, but not a critical Discovery 3 fault we should all be worried about. Pretty much the same as getting a tyre blow out..... not nice but in this instance everyone walked away

Post #4747713th Mar 2006 11:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

John, as ever I bow to your knowledge, I'm not mechanically minded, all I know is this car is now getting me down, I do a fair mileage, I tow and I drive it off road, I'm not prepared to be let down again. I fully agree with TFCs comment this is an issue specific to this car. I'm impressed with LR's response so far and as ever Harwoods my dealer are being great, even phoning when they said they would which I know for dealers is unusual Wink

The car has scared me and I want to hate the D3 for it but I can't. On the drive home I saw lots and it still gives you the feeling that you want one, but I won't be tucked up to stay in it.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4751114th Mar 2006 9:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >