Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

BLUE SMOKE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PeteH

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
BLUE SMOKE

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a Discovery 4 Commercial with 200,000 miles (321868Km) on the original engine. I had the engine serviced recently at a garage I have used for the past 18yrs, on collection of he car i noticed when i drove away a guff of Blue smoke from the exhaust which i had not seen before. It only did it the once and did not do it again that day, the next time it did it I was overtaking and put my foot down the gear box kicked down and cloud of BLUE smoke was left behind me. I went back to the garage and they dropped a bit of oil out of the sump as the oil level indicator is not working but it still guffs, however only when I heavy accelerate or towing a heavy load. I've checked the compressor side of both turbos and intercooler for oil and it's clean. if anyone might have any thoughts on what it might be? theirs no smoke when driving normally only under load.

Thanks
PeteH

Post #230604331st Aug 2022 8:33 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

The first thing I would check which is easy to do is to look for cracks/defects in the turbocharger intake pipe. Make sure they are all intact and tight at the jubilee clips.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124887171924?ch...j0EALw_wcB

I seem to recall it can cause this issue or similar issues Question

Others will be along shortly Whistle

Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #230604531st Aug 2022 8:52 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As above Thumbs Up could also be a damaged intercooler or split intercooler pipe.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #230605031st Aug 2022 9:41 am
PeteH

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

would a split or cracked pipe not create power loss or hiss? blow air? or show a fault with the MAF sensor?

Post #230605531st Aug 2022 10:27 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Not necessarily. If you search for related pipe issues you'll find blue smoke is one of them.

A big crack or split will often be heard, but you only need a very slight air leak to start fooling the engine into over-fuelling. The MAF measures the air intake volume, it does not know there is a leak - it sees what it sees - if that makes sense.

Check the pipes thoroughly for starters Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #230605631st Aug 2022 10:39 am
IainMac82

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Search ‘turbo drain mod’ - symptoms sound like this especially at that mileage. Mine started doing large blue puffs of smoke on heavy acceleration occasionally. The turbo drain mod kit has fixed the problem.

Post #230609031st Aug 2022 5:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >