Bluetooth and streaming
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sea Raider wrote:
^^^

I wasted £25 buying the above.
Have to say the quality of calls was very poor, loads of interference, ended up throwing it out and buying a Parrot

Got to say I agree, I have one fitted and when calling people say there is a bad echo....bad echo Neutral
 The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #202258926th Jan 2019 6:27 pm
Bleeding knuckles

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

nebc100, yes definitely keep us up to date.

I was hoping to get a tablet with built in GPS and just tether the data for maps etc.

Seen some cheap(ish) stuff from Lenovo,Huawei and Samsung that could do the job.

I would use an iPad mini but they are still to big as I want it to go between the centre air vents.
 2005 D3 SE Auto, zermatt silver
Gearbox flush by terrain vehicles
V8 brake upgrade
Will always ask silly questions 

Post #202268027th Jan 2019 1:32 am
PCT3

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I use an iPad mini with gsm, although I don’t put a SIM card in as too expensive when roaming but the gps works very well still use an unsorported Tom Tom app for general road work and so far only s few problems across Europe, off road I use view ranger app although mainly designed for walkers if you speed up the tracking log it records cars progress quiet well,have a Bluetooth device in aux port for music streaming the cars Bluetooth deals with the phone, and a gsm modem so cars a WiFi hot spot, the modem is so much cheaper for some reason whilst roaming, as I have WiFi in the car I’m toying with the idea of fitting an Amazon dot so I could possibly stream music from amazon
All the addons besides the iPad everything is hidden and can’t be seen
Also with this set I can put coordinates any type in view ranger select. The location then transfere that to 10 point decimal which Tom Tom uses and get a road route to location very helpful when acting as a taxi to the search and rescue teams they are often in very strange places when requiring pickup back tocontrol
 Discovery 3 HSE 07
Discovery 1, Search & Rescue SE4x4 Responce
Fiat Decato motor home
Mazda MX5 

Post #202273027th Jan 2019 11:19 am
Johnny Oxford

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

yes I know that but the other guy said he planned to use a cheap android tablet, which clearly would not have GPS

kajtzu wrote:
AFAIK iPad models that have cellular connectivity do have GPS, both GPS and A-GPS, in them.
 2014 D4 HSE Facelift Corris Grey

Previous :

Discovery Sport SE (awful)
56 plate D3 HSE TDV6 Zermatt Silver
Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #202276227th Jan 2019 1:06 pm
Bleeding knuckles

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well I’ve brought a cheap tablet (£49 Argos). It’s Lenovo so fairly good quality. It’s currently connected to the Aux with a long lead and a power lead to the socket below the climate. It’s tethered to my iPhone for data to allow the tablet to stream through the Aux (there’s even a Apple Music app for Android so I can use my music subscription). The phone can still connect to Bluetooth when tethered.

The current munt it an old one I found in the garage. I’m no sure where it should go yet may build a mount myself or but one from brodit

Will route the wire in side the centre console later when I happy with location

The tablet can run google maps but not Waze (yet)

So has cost me so far about £60
 2005 D3 SE Auto, zermatt silver
Gearbox flush by terrain vehicles
V8 brake upgrade
Will always ask silly questions 

Post #202748411th Feb 2019 2:53 pm
nebc100

Luxembourg 

OK... as promised... my American British Concepts device arrived this morning.

It took quite a long time to arrive, but it is finally here.

Support from the manufacturer was excellent because I was concerned that the part had gone missing. They responded very quickly!!

The installation video makes it look as though the part can me installed in about 30 seconds, and THEY ARE NOT WRONG!!

I installed it at the side of the road in less than a minute!!

I have now connected my Android phone (not tested with an iPhone) to it, and it connected immediately, and I have now set my phone to use the building LR Bluetooth for phone calls, and the ABC device for streaming.

To use it, I simply select the AUX input on the radio, and I can now play music through the phone.

The sound quality is as good as any other system through the audio system. There doesn't seem to be any loss in quality.

When you are not playing anything, there is no hiss/buzz/crackling etc like there is if you leave just a cable attached to the aux socket.

Understandably, the "forward" and "back" commands don't work from the steering wheel.

The USB sockets seem to work for charging. I don't know how fast they charge, but I am not too worried about that as it will only be my daughter using them in the back seats.

I haven't tried the aux in, or the mic input on the device as I don't actually plan on using either of them, but a mic was supplied with the kit so it would be possible to use this as a full hands-free kit if wanted.

Overall, I am very pleased with it. It does exactly what I wanted. I can now stream music to the audio system of the car without having to plug in cables.

Price..... it is not cheap, but it is the cheapest solution that I have seen that still looks "factory" and doesn't cost a fortune.

I recommend it!!

Post #202844314th Feb 2019 2:49 pm
DevonDisco747

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

After reading this and other feedback I purchased the Kinivo BTC450 from Amazon and installed it this morning.

Plugged into the rear AUX port and USB, cable run along center console and button mounted using the supplied sticky pad to dash.

The first connection to my Android phone took a couple of attempts but has worked automatically every time since. Call quality better than anything I got using the standard LR connection.

Now using Android Auto on the phone, I have hands free calling, with no requirement to keep pairing the phone! I have music streaming INCLUDING the DAB radio stations like 5 Live, I also have Spotify and Amazon Music. All via the one connection, all subject to steering wheel volume control, simply have to select the AUX button on the LR hi-fi.

Cheap, easy and removable if required, must have good phone and data limit though to make the most of it.

Thanks to all for advice, this forum and the people on it are amazing! (Especially Iggy & Mr H 😊 )
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #202849814th Feb 2019 5:29 pm
Johnny Oxford

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

good to hear, I think the Kinivo is brilliant, and £30 you cant go wrong.

PS did you know a long press on the MODE button on the steering wheel will activate AUX on the stereo??
 2014 D4 HSE Facelift Corris Grey

Previous :

Discovery Sport SE (awful)
56 plate D3 HSE TDV6 Zermatt Silver
Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #202854014th Feb 2019 7:07 pm
life - live it

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

Post #202855114th Feb 2019 7:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12