DISCO4.COM > Africa

Botswana journey itinerary advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
photokid

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Botswana journey itinerary advice

Hi guys.

We're going to be in Francistown for a wedding on the 14 April 2012 and have some time- 2 to 3 weeks- for touring.

3 persons, 1 vehicle-LR Discovery 4.
Pirelli ATR
Standard punture repair kit
Spare tyre(s), no extra rim
Recovery equipment
Sand tracks
Air jack or high lift and jack buddy?
Dual Battery
Fridge/Freezer
Thinking of a satellite phone - any suggestions on who exactly to call if stuck in the middle of chobe?
Winch with ground anchor?
RAI ?

I have a few queries about the route and vehicle and any input is appreciated.

Proposed itenarary - all dates April 2012
16-18 - Brakah/ CKGR-Sunday Pans
19-20 - Makgadikgadi/SKL (your suggestion?) Looking to stay on the pan and not just
on the edge. Somewhere it is only the pan and no grasslands. I have reservation at Khumaga.
I was looking at Kubu Island, to go before Brakah, but the lack of ablutions
might not be favourable to others.
21-22 - Third bridge
23-24 - Savuti /SKL
25-26 - Lenyanti/SKL
27-28 - Senyati
or Toro Lodge
or Chobe Safari Lodge
29-30 - drive down via A33, tun-off to Dodo, down to Krombi Pits, to Nxai pans
Is it worth going to the Nxai?
Then back home.

Queries -

I'd prefer not to carry much on a roof rack, but seeing that I do not have long-range tank, I'm going to need atleast another 80 litres of fuel. Yes?
Has anyone carried more than the 75kg limt for the D4 and not had an issue?
Is a RTT, spare tyres(2 tyres only)and 80 litres of fuel too much weight for the roof? +/- 150kg

I'm still debating on a RTT vs a ground tent. I will be carrying a 10 man and two man tent, and a gezebo. All non-canvas.
Will feel more at ease in a RTT though.

How is the vegetation at this time of the year - will I come back with GT stripes running the length of the vehicle and should rather fit megnatic panels or will I be fine?

Fuel stops - Francistown, Rakops (if none drive to Motopi), Maun, Kasane. Is there fuel at Ngoma Bridge?

Is water available at all camps? I have a carrying capacity of 100 litres atm. will most probably carry 50-75 litres.

Do any of the areas at this time of the year need me to have a winch, seeing that I'm alone?

Should I extend/shorten/cancel my stay at any place, or add in any camp you know?

Lastly, am I crazy to do this journey with a single vehicle or will i be fine?

Thanks in advance on any feedback.

Regards
Aadil

Post #91163419th Mar 2012 12:31 pm
Nico G4-2

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I will asnwer what I think - not real fundi on Bots - but have been e few times: (the 4x4community.co.za has lots of info)

3 persons, 1 vehicle-LR Discovery 4. GOOD CHOICE
Pirelli ATR - SHOULD BE FINE - I USE MTR'S ON THE D3
Standard punture repair kit
Spare tyre(s), no extra rim - HAVE YOU DONE THIS ? IF NOT MAYBE PRACTISE ? I HAVE 19INCH D3 RIM WITH TYRE IF YOU ARE PRETORIA AREA YOU COULD TAKE MY X-TRA TYRE OF AND PUT YORS ON
Recovery equipment
Sand tracks
Air jack or high lift and jack buddy?
Dual Battery
Fridge/Freezer
Thinking of a satellite phone - any suggestions on who exactly to call if stuck in the middle of chobe? I ALWAYS TRAVEL WITH SAT PHONE - JUST A SAFETY AS I TRAVEL WITH KIDS...
Winch with ground anchor? NVER NEEDED MINE Crying or Very sad
RAI ? DON'T HAVER 1 BUT ME THINKS IT'S NEEDED

I have a few queries about the route and vehicle and any input is appreciated.

Proposed itenarary - all dates April 2012
16-18 - Brakah/ CKGR-Sunday Pans
19-20 - Makgadikgadi/SKL (your suggestion?) Looking to stay on the pan and not just
on the edge. Somewhere it is only the pan and no grasslands. I have reservation at Khumaga.
I was looking at Kubu Island, to go before Brakah, but the lack of ablutions
might not be favourable to others.
21-22 - Third bridge
23-24 - Savuti /SKL
25-26 - Lenyanti/SKL
27-28 - Senyati
or Toro Lodge
or Chobe Safari Lodge
29-30 - drive down via A33, tun-off to Dodo, down to Krombi Pits, to Nxai pans
Is it worth going to the Nxai?
Then back home.

LOOKS LIKE A NICE TRIP I LIKE NXAI PAN BUT IF YOU HAVE DONE ALL THE REST MAYBE NOT AS IMPRESSIVE
Queries -

I'd prefer not to carry much on a roof rack, but seeing that I do not have long-range tank, I'm going to need atleast another 80 litres of fuel. Yes?
Has anyone carried more than the 75kg limt for the D4 and not had an issue?
Is a RTT, spare tyres(2 tyres only)and 80 litres of fuel too much weight for the roof? +/- 150kg

I THINK 1 XTRA TYRE SHOULD BE ENOUGH - I HAVE NOT EXCEEDED THE 80KG IN THE PAST - SORRY. IS IT V8 THAT YOU NEED 80LITERS ?

I'm still debating on a RTT vs a ground tent. I will be carrying a 10 man and two man tent, and a gezebo. All non-canvas.
Will feel more at ease in a RTT though. WILL ALL 3 FIT IN RTT ? WILL YOU BE ABLE TO LEAVE THE 10MAN TENT AT HOME IF RTT ?

How is the vegetation at this time of the year - will I come back with GT stripes running the length of the vehicle and should rather fit megnatic panels or will I be fine?

Fuel stops - Francistown, Rakops (if none drive to Motopi), Maun, Kasane. Is there fuel at Ngoma Bridge?

Is water available at all camps? I have a carrying capacity of 100 litres atm. will most probably carry 50-75 litres.

Do any of the areas at this time of the year need me to have a winch, seeing that I'm alone?

Should I extend/shorten/cancel my stay at any place, or add in any camp you know?

Lastly, am I crazy to do this journey with a single vehicle or will i be fine? SHOULD BE FINE

Thanks in advance on any feedback.

Regards
Aadil

NICO

PS - NOT A LOT OF HELP BUT IT'S A START
 Nico

'91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus: Ex-CT Tdi Disco
'05 BOV - Big Orange Van: TDV6 D3 G4 - Hit a COW the animal kind
'11 BBB - Big Black Bus: D4 HSE 5.0 V8 - busy with MODS
'16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
SWAMBO ... Small black number - RCZ 

Post #91179219th Mar 2012 5:15 pm
photokid

Thanks Nico!
Any input is welcomed.

The ATRs are still fairly new, so I think they should be fine too.
I was thinking of the MTRs but I couldn't take the noise seeing that i use the vehicle mostly on tar.

The extra tyre is mostly for if I need it to be changed in a town and, most likely, they will not have the tyre in stock. I'd have a high-lift jack which I'd use to break the bead. But yes, all in theory so far. I need to practise.

I have been looking around for a rim from a scrapyard, but no luck so far.
Do you know of a company or yard i could try in the Jozi area. I'm in Newcastle, KZN.
If not, I'd take you up on the offer to use your rim. Many thanks! I'd leave a deposit if you'd prefer.
I haven't asked though-would you want me to rent it?

Have you seen the price of the Land Rover RAI?!

Ah, perhaps I'll book more days in the other areas and drive from Kasane to Francistown. I shall sleep on that.
I've heard Baines Baoab is a nice place to see around Nxai pans?

The spare/extra tyre I have is a Wrangler HP. Purely for, just in case

No, RTT for 2 and third sleeping in the 'shower/change cubicle or inside the vehicle by dropping the centre row of seats.
I'd still carry the 10 man and 2 man, which weigh 20 kgs for both, as a back-up should the RTT get damaged or such.

It's a 3.0 diesel. Fuel up in Maun. Maun to Kasane 600km(100litres @sand driving).
Add 50km a day for game drives for 7 days = 350km(60 litres)
So tank(80 litres) plus 4 cans(80 litres) are what I'd planned on.
I'd only need all four jerry cans for that leg of the journey.
Maximum speeds would be 60km/h, off road though, so it's plenty bumpy.

I'm thinking I might just need a trailer to not risk overloading the roof, but I'd pmuch prefer not to tow.

Regards

Post #91180519th Mar 2012 5:43 pm
Nico G4-2

I think the 50km added per day is not going to happen - Delta game drives very relaxed normally not same as our parks. your 600km is also mostly on the game drive roads - as in all of Bots Very Happy

I understand caution in not trying to stretch the fuel but I think xtra 80 not needed. Sorry redo your calcs and try take less fuel. The TDV6 3.0 is very good if you drive relaxed - or so I heard - no point in going more than 80km/h even on Bots tarr roads (100 maybe some places) so when you reach Moremi still full tank Very Happy from Maun.

The Rim - No no rental just pick-it up fit tyre and off you go Very Happy it takes up a huge space on the Roof RTT and tyre and jerry's Me think is a no-go..

You sort-off travel via Pretoria or if you want / need it earlier just maak 'n plan...

I agree on the trailer - just so much easier with-out it BUT sometimes we don't have choice... I would leave the RRT. Pack clothes for last 1/2 of trip in other bags put on RR in RR-bag for rain/dust swap bags after 1st 1/2 - add dirty clothes as you go to RR-bags. Try leave trailer at home - if you need to recover yourself at least no added stress.

Nico

o 8 two 8 o 1 one 7 5 1
 Nico

Post #91183619th Mar 2012 7:03 pm
SADISCOBOB

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Comments : I have V8 D3 and never needed more than 2 x cans ( 40 L).
This time of year great for Bots and roads/tracks etc very good on whole.
I would strongly advise practice with changing tyres on rims. I have found some tyre fitment places unable to take tyre off with their gear and now always go to truck tyre outlets. I always take 2 x spare wheels complete and never dream of trying to change tyre on either my 19" or my 18" wheels - even at home.
I prefer ground tent to RTT but that's just me.
Strongly advise stopover at "Elephant Sands" Chalets and camping but again go camping with ground tent and enjoy the evenings when the eles come calling. ES is 50 Klm north of Nata on main road down from Kasane. If you are lucky it could be the best nights camp you have in the whole trip. No booking required for camp sites - just go and enjoy.
Bob
 Life always good with a Landy

2006 LR DISCO 3 4.4 V8 HSE
DISCO 1 2.8 TDi
DISCO11 TD5
RR CLASSIC 1980 3.5 V8 

Post #91239921st Mar 2012 7:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
photokid

Nico G4-2 wrote:
I think the 50km added per day is not going to happen - Delta game drives very relaxed normally not same as our parks. your 600km is also mostly on the game drive roads - as in all of Bots Very Happy

I understand caution in not trying to stretch the fuel but I think xtra 80 not needed. Sorry redo your calcs and try take less fuel. The TDV6 3.0 is very good if you drive relaxed - or so I heard - no point in going more than 80km/h even on Bots tarr roads (100 maybe some places) so when you reach Moremi still full tank Very Happy from Maun.

The Rim - No no rental just pick-it up fit tyre and off you go Very Happy it takes up a huge space on the Roof RTT and tyre and jerry's Me think is a no-go..

You sort-off travel via Pretoria or if you want / need it earlier just maak 'n plan...

I agree on the trailer - just so much easier with-out it BUT sometimes we don't have choice... I would leave the RRT. Pack clothes for last 1/2 of trip in other bags put on RR in RR-bag for rain/dust swap bags after 1st 1/2 - add dirty clothes as you go to RR-bags. Try leave trailer at home - if you need to recover yourself at least no added stress.

Nico

o 8 two 8 o 1 one 7 5 1

Yes, I will be in Jozi for the few days before I leave, so I'll take you up on your offer, thanks!

Still debating whether a RTT or GT.

Then there's the case of going over the 75kg load limit for the roof. RR+RTT+awning+2 jerrys =110kgs minimum! Any opinions on that?
I'm thinking of a rear wheel carrier, but to instead load it with 2 jerrys and 2 gas bottles. Opinons?
I'm thinknig of keeping the extra spare inside the vehicle in a spare wheel canvas cover, but i'm not sure how much of a bright idea that really is...

I've decided against a trailer. Personally prefer not to tow.

So it seems from the experience of others, I shall take just two jerry cans. Thanks for clearing that.

Thanks for the advices SADISCOBOB! Will look into that accommodation.

Post #91248321st Mar 2012 11:41 am
Nico G4-2

Good - Give me call and we'll get together when you are in Gauteng

I am available that week before 14th (after easter week-end).

The xtra spare is really a BIG problem but not as BIG a problem ass sitting somewhere with-out it Very Happy when needed......

Inside is not bad idea it could be packed at the bottem and then no need to move it around and the weight probably best inside. With only 3 people you can maybe even take 1 seat in the back out - completely ? not just fold flat - haven't done or seen this but can't be impossible ??

I am not a RTT fan so maybe a bit biased in my opinion to leave it @ home .. or just not buy it.

Gas bottles - I like to fit them on the RR but a bracket with them and 2 jerry's at the back could work ...is there time to manufacture ? at least spare brackets for rear is available.

Nico
 Nico

Post #91277622nd Mar 2012 5:56 am
Jetlag

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ill be looking at oing this trip soon as well so this thread is very helpful!

Post #91615931st Mar 2012 3:17 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Nico G4-2 wrote:
maybe even take 1 seat in the back out - completely ? not just fold flat - haven't done or seen this but can't be impossible ??

Taking seats out is easy, you just need a T50 bit on a socket (or is it T55?). Put the seat in the position to let someone into the rear seats, undo the bolts, disconnect the seat heater plug & lift out the seat. Don't forget to repace the bolts in the holes or your carpet will get very wet if it rains. I've then used M10 40mm bolts to fix the seats back, with copper slip, earlier to replace & remove in the future. If you're going 3 up then the middle seat can also be taken out, spare will fit flat with stuff above it. You might be able to bolt it down with a longish M10 bolt into a hole from the seat mounts.

Post #91620031st Mar 2012 5:44 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

PhotoKid

NIco's advice is very good. As I told you in PM, my personal experience with overloaded roofrack was not pleasant. Look on tracks4africa for fuel stops, you should be able to travel in Botswana without any extra fuel if you plan the route appropriately. Have you decided what roofrack + rail combo to use?

Post #9162831st Apr 2012 12:42 am
photokid

Thanks for the advice DSL.

Guys, SAD news. Trip has been cancelled for now. Just the holiday part. The wedding is still on Razz

Still getting things together for a journey, soon.

Yeah, my idea was also to remove the third row of seats and use it for storage space, or whatever is possible.

Also, I'm considering 2 x 40 litre fridges instead of a single 90 litre NL, seeing that the 40 litre Engel fits into the space of one of the middle row seats, but current draw will be higher. Any advice?

Furthermore, debating whether to install a NL powerpack for a dual battery or 75Ah in the engine bay. Or even two 75Ah batteries in the engine bay?

Removing two of the middle row seats would open up plenty storage space but I've still got to make sure that a single seat would be comfy enough for the passenger.
Bolting down the extra spare is an idea I'll keep in mind. Could well work properly!

Baben - I'm stumped! The reason I don't want to go for the FR rails and rack is becuase of looks, which doesn't mean much in the bush, but removing it and reinstalling the full length Land Rover rails after every journey seems hectic. Though it might be the only way, as I'm not sure whether a FR rack would fit with the full length rails.
The other option I'm thinking of is to keep the full length rails and mount the RTT on bars. But I'd lose the versatility of a roof rack.
The prospeed rack is a looker, as well as the original land rover rack. Trying to source those. Shipping into RSA is PRICEY!
I wouldn't load much on it, so those will work. Just a RTT and space for a few odd items- wood or whichever bulky, dirty items.

I'm also considering an aux tank, so that'll solve the fuel issues, but I can't have it all, as it'll mean a RWC. And those spoil the look of the vehicle IMO. Especially with the exposed metal bars of the carrier from the side.
Is it not possible for the mount to fit onto the upper or lower doors and not from the side, so that there isn't any exposed bars?
If on the lower door, it could have a hinge or so that'll allow it to remian vertical as the door is opened downwards. Just a thought on the top of my head. May, and a strong chance of so, not work.

Anyone know of a newer, cleaner design for a rear wheel carrier?

Sorry for the overly long post.

Post #9164631st Apr 2012 6:33 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

There's not a lot of room under the 3rd row of seats, I have a load deck there and thought it would be worth putting a hatch in it but the space is thin and curves, not that useful.

I always find siting the fridge (engel 40ltr job) difficult as you can't mount it high up as you need to open the lid, similarly you can't carry anything above it as you have to open the lid. I tend to keep cans of drink for during the day in the cubby cool box and not use the fridge that much in the day but I'm usually on my own so can have day's supply in there. Here's my fridge arrangement, chair now lives elsewhere.

Click image to enlarge

Post #9164691st Apr 2012 6:43 pm
photokid

So, I haven't checked the dimensions, but I was picturing it to fit length-wise. Possible?

Nice and packed Landie! Smile

Post #9164781st Apr 2012 7:00 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Mines that way as I have 2 spares other side and they fit perfectly with the water box & Engel.

Click image to enlarge

I used to have the fridge the long way but changed as it units the spares & carrying Oztent better.

Click image to enlarge

Post #9164971st Apr 2012 7:28 pm
photokid

ah, so it will fit length-wise. Thanks for that.

The spar will have to either go at the back or on the rack then.

I've got to get these items to see thier sizes. I might be picturing more space on the inside than there actually is.

Post #9166682nd Apr 2012 12:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >