DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Brake dust burn in
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
JakobVels

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Brake dust burn in

Hi

Got my D3 from new summer 2006 and i am experiencing what i think is more and more brake dust burn in on the wheels. I have the 5 spoke, and the problemm seem worst on front wheels, on outside between spokes.

I scrub the wheels with every washing, and I have tried some sonax cleaner and a good scrubbing, but some of the stuff just wont come off.

Have anybody else experienced brake dust burn in, and if so, have you made a warranty claim on it ?

Cheers
Jakob

Post #3697516th Nov 2008 12:49 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Common problem, unless you don't use your brakes. If you tried a warranty claim and got new wheels it would still occur, until LR make the wheel finish more resilient to this.(Some chance of that Whistle ). I realise we shouldn't have to do this, but having them powdercoated may make them less susceptable to burn in / pitting / corrosion etc.

Post #3697666th Nov 2008 1:15 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The material is as much metal from the brake rotor as it is copper etc from the pads, the types of finishes applied to the wheel do not help as you have found. the powder coating used is very resilient to impact from road debris but not from red hot shards of rotor embedded in the finish. There is no solution if you want to use your brakes other than change the finish on the wheels

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #3697986th Nov 2008 2:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

I use 'wonder wheels' and plenty of wrist action Whistle

Post #3699016th Nov 2008 6:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

JabobVels,
Picking up from shiny moose, this makes sense to me,
some tend to wait a little later before applying brakes, or the last
moment Shocked in daily commuting. Stopping a D3 is a little more
different than a road car with the same HP, we have the weight to
consider. There fore speed x short distance = very hot brakes and
burnt finish on rims. Would suggest you relax more and enjoy your
driving than try keeping up with the speedsters.
You and the D3 will have more Very Happy Thumbs Up
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #3699266th Nov 2008 7:00 pm
SN

there's a post on here somewhere, I think it was Tazdaz's, using Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner to get the brake dust off Shocked
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #3699406th Nov 2008 7:22 pm
POINTYED

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

hi
or buy black alloys like i did Thumbs Up
dunc Thumbs Up
 life is tooooo short.enjoy the moment.dont worry be happy

club BSS 

Post #3700396th Nov 2008 10:01 pm
JakobVels

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thx for your comments and solutions.

Just wanted to check if there were an isolated batch with these trouble so that a fix could be had from the stealer before warranty expires.

I will settle for thats the way it works.

Thx
Jakob

Post #3700626th Nov 2008 10:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have never had a car that does not suffer brake dust burn in problems. My wife's Mini Cooper S is terrible for it. The wheels on that are really difficult to clean. The HSE D3 wheels are easy.

I find that a regular polish works wonders, but eventually they will get pitted.

Post #3701357th Nov 2008 12:48 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have black wheels, not bothered aboiut brake dust now Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #3702757th Nov 2008 12:42 pm
jkp

Scotland 

There are plenty of wheel cleaners on the market that will safely remove baked on brake dust. Autoglym wheel cleaner, megs wheel brightner, menz and zymol wheel gel, autosmart smart wheels. used in the correct concentration and a bit agitation with a wheel brush, they will come up well. Not sure about the Mr Muscle Shocked as i suspect that would remove much more than the brake dust.... Whistle

The key to keeping them like that is adding a protective coating, such as Jetseal 109, poorboys Ex-P or using your paste wax, which will protect them. Using a dedicated wheel sealant like Poorboys wheel seal will ensure future removal of dust is a lot, lot easier. It will also add protection to the wheels during the winter months.

Post #3702787th Nov 2008 12:58 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Slight OT, but still OT, I used to get really annoyed at not being able to easily clean the back of the wheels & all of the inside wheel. Are there any cheap geeky tools that you've used that make it easier than taking the wheels off?

Cheers
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #3702817th Nov 2008 1:02 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Bodsy wrote:
Slight OT, but still OT, I used to get really annoyed at not being able to easily clean the back of the wheels & all of the inside wheel. Are there any cheap geeky tools that you've used that make it easier than taking the wheels off?

Cheers

There are plenty wheel brushes out there, I use the EZ detail brush and one that looks like a 'loo brush' and for all it's hype that is exactly what it is with a slightly softer brush tip Laughing To make them the most effective you need to allow the wheel cleaner time to loosen the gunk off.

I'm looking at getting some into the shop, possibly by the end of the month.

Post #3702907th Nov 2008 1:14 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Just to add those are only suitable for wheel inners and not the wheel faces.

Post #3702927th Nov 2008 1:16 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Here's one for anyone who is court short without their favourite alloy wheel cleaner. Throw a can of coke over them and then wash off, coke apparently contains 5% phosphoric acid, as much as in some wheel cleaners Laughing

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #3703027th Nov 2008 2:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >